+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Ghosting over VLANs in Technical; We are planning on moving to VLANs. After getting the network config right we have started to simulate a live ...
    Thank Post

Ghosting over VLANs

We are planning on moving to VLANs. After getting the network config right we have started to simulate a live domain and what goes on.

We have got the dhcp working through the VLAN along with other bits and pieces but we have encountered a problem with ghost.

The problem is when we get to the contact session screen. We type in the session name and leave discovery mode to auto, the client machine cannot contact the session either in mulitcast or unicast mode.

The server's (running DHCP and GHOST) IP address is 10.0.0.254 and is in VLAN1. When the client machine is in VLAN1 we can get everything to work the client machine can contact the session but as soon as we put the client in another VLAN the session cannot be contacted. The only way to contact it, is to type in the IP address of the server at the discovery mode. This is something i dont want to do.

Can anyone help me out on this?

Thanks

Thank Post
    I'm thinking, and bearing in mind, i dont know much about all the settings of switches and VLANs etc, but presumably the VLAN's are setup in the switches etc., and presumably, you'd have to allow the broadcast to be allowed between these two VLAN's right? is that somehow not been allowed or something?

afraid i dont do alot of comms at our place, but pretty sure i could find out for you....

what switches are you using? Cisco?
    are all the switches layer 2 / 3 ? or just the core ones?

etc

Cheers

Thank Post
    Hi

HI I think its called IGMP Snooping or CGMP that you have to enable but check the documentation on you switch.

Richard

Thank Post
    You will an ip helper address on each VLAN pointing to your dhcp server.
    I take it that your vlans are on different sub nets
    Cheers

Thank Post
    We are using HP Switches. There is one L3 switch, the 2824 which is configured with the specific VLANs and the IP HELPER addresses. The DHCP server has IP=10.0.0.254, SUB=255.255.255.0, GW=10.0.0.2 and the ghost server has IP=10.0.0.252, SUB=255.255.255.0, GW=10.0.0.2.

When the client and server are in VLAN 1 there isnt a problem. the client can find the server automaticaly and the image deploys about 800mb/min which is about right.

Between VLAN 1 and VLAN 2 on the same switch is a different matter though. The client has a DHCP address from the DHCP server of 10.0.2.11, SUB=255.255.255.0, GW=10.0.2.1. In the autoexec file on the USB key i've had to add the switch -JADDR={IP_ADDRESS_OF_GHOST_SERVER} so the client on VLAN 2 can find the server otherwise we get an error stating that the session cannot be contacted.

Now we have got the Client talking to the server the speed is only around the 110mb/min. Again, this is through different VLANs on the same switch.

We cannot think what the hell it is. Could it be that we are using 7.5 of ghost instead of GSS 2.5?

We have got imagex working fine though using commands and i am thinking on creating cmd and bat files so we can semi-automate the process but would prefer to use ghost.

Thank Post
    To get the auto discovery to work in ghost you need to enable multicast routing on the switch. The 2824 doesn't support this though. I'm not sure what your speed issues are. I saw in increase when I upgraded to 2.5.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To use multicast with vlans on HP switches, you need a switch in their premium capable product line IIRC. ie. one which can use a premium license upgrade.

The premium license enables multicast routing and igmp routing. Last I checked, it costs around £2000 for this license (on the HP 5406zl as an example).

Thank Post
    Your other option, if you have either the Intel NIC Server Management or the Broadcom Management utility on your ghost server is to add all the VLANS you want to ghost into on the server nic as tagged VLANS and set an IP address for the Ghost server in each VLAN (make sure you disable DNS updating on these). Bit messy and needs testing as I haven't tried this with Ghost.

Thank Post
    We have found a way round it to be fair and thanks for all your replies.

What we have done is on the VLANs, added IP HELPER to the VLANs and pointed this to the DHCP server and used IMAGEX on a usb key with auto startup scripts linking to the Image server. All we have to do now is to type {name.bat} in winpe and we can either upload or download images, it works great and the images are still sealed with Sysprep. Best of both worlds to be fair i think.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread