Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, SCCM MDT OSD to BootCamp partition. in Technical; Has anyone had any luck with running an MDT OSD image task sequence onto a boot camp partition? We've been ...

Thank Post

SCCM MDT OSD to BootCamp partition.

Has anyone had any luck with running an MDT OSD image task sequence onto a boot camp partition? We've been using NetRestore, but would really like to avoid having to maintain separate windows images for the Macs. The last time we worked with this a year ago, we weren't able to come up with a boot media that would work.

We also tried installing windows and the sccm client and running a refresh. That appeared to work except the install files were getting lost during the wipe phase.

Thank Post

SCCM OSD to Bootcamp Part

I was able to get a standard OSD task sequence to image the bootcamp side of a dual boot mac, but have never tried a MDT OSD task sequence. I also have a very special setup that I use to get it to work correctly. We use JAMF Casper Imaging to put the mac image on the machine and Insert a Prestaged OEM winclone image on the bootcamp side. Then it is just a matter of blessing the bootcamp partition and letting sccm finish the task sequence.

I'm not sure if this help, but I can send you more information if you would like.

Jeff

Thank Post
    Was there any update to this? We're introducing Casper and have SCCM in our environment and I'd like to see about getting this set up for our users.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thalarion View Post
    Was there any update to this? We're introducing Casper and have SCCM in our environment and I'd like to see about getting this set up for our users.
    We looked into Casper, but the mandatory $4k in training was a deal breaker. We're using deploystudio for the mac side with a sysprep'd winclone image on the drive. We have an ard task that partitions the drive and extracts the winclone image. We might just keep this and do some automation of the ccm client install. Once the client is on the collection handles the ads for the bootcamp specific ads. We do some devcon to kill the airport cards in windows.

Thank Post
    Excellent, thanks for the update. We're transitioning from DeployStudio to Casper but we can probably keep the old system around for the boot camp images.

Thank Post

Prestaging an image with Casper

Here is what I did:

1) Take a Prestage image that was made in SCCM 2007 R3 and Created a task sequence which would apply a data image to the third partition on a disk drive.

-It has to apply as a data image for the prestage to boot to the boot wim.
    -also use wpeutil shutdown to shutdown the machine at the end of the task.
    -make sure that there is not set to format the drive.

2) Image up a mac and create a second partition for the Windows side (Bootcamp). Use a cd to install windows vista or higher on the second partition. (I use this to set the partition to NTFS and make the partition bootable.)

- In the Mac config, Set the pc side of the image to be about 20 gb. Winclone images are very ridged about size from my experience.
    Whatever size you select will be the smallest you will be able to make the winclone image and therefore the PC side of the mac.

3) Then use boot media to boot into sccm, and Advertise the Prestage-Dualboot task sequence to the Mac. (Depending on the model, you may need to nic drivers to you boot media.)

- The Prestage dualboot task sequence does not format the hard drive as that will delete the mac side of the build.

- The apply image must not be apply OS but should only apply data image. If you apply os image, the BCD will look to the os image rather than the boot image.

4) Boot to the bootcamp side of the mac and run the prestage task sequence. The apply data image will delete all data on the partition including the old Image and will apply the new Prestage.

- you may want to copy the BCD file from the image to a network location as it is applying. (BCD is in a hidden folder called boot. "c:\boot\bcd") (This will require the F8 troubleshooting be enabled.)

5) The task sequence should shut down the computer when it is done.

6) Turn the Mac back on and boot to the Mac side.

7) install Winclone and it's prerequisite (NTFS something).

8) Capture the Bootcamp side of the image but you will need to do two things in the preferences.

- Deselect Compress from the preferences in winclone. This will make a sparcebundle file rather than a dmg.

- Deselect the "If XP is detected..." and the "If Vista is detected..." These options will copy over the BCD file and cause the PC side to boot to setup rather than the Boot image.

9) Capture the winclone image.

10) when it is done capturing, Select the winclone and right click and select show contents.

11) make sure the image is a sparcebundle and not DMG. Also make sure that the BCD file is about 16 KB and not 30 KB.

- 16 Kb BCD means it is looking to boot from the boot image correctly.

- 30 KB means that the BCD file was replaced and you will boot the the Windows Setup.

- If the BCD file is incorrect, Copy the BCD file that was saved to the network location and replace the one in the winclone image.

12) If all is correct, Upload the image to Winclone image to casper and Build Index.

13) you should be able to test the new image and ensure it is working. (I realize that I am ending on lucky number thirteen :-) )

Hope this helps someone!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread