+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Portable Imaging solution in Technical; Originally Posted by TechSupp Speaking of creating an image for all hardware etc, has anyone got any simpletons info/instructions of ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    Speaking of creating an image for all hardware etc, has anyone got any simpletons info/instructions of how to do that, i.e. I know there are downloads available with all the recent drivers etc but where do I put them and how to tell the install where to look when it reboots, how best to use sysprep? I have used Fog in the past and its been OK, but used it for renaming etc. I'm in a similar situation where I cover a few schools but having a single image (or 2) for each school would be great instead of my current range of images. I currently use Partimage (part of the SystemRescueCD) as its usually not a major image job just one or two that need reimaging due to faults etc. (larger imaging jobs I let our supplier do, pay them as its more cost effective in time etc).
    This is your friend for universal XP images
    Vernalex.com - Welcome

Download the SysPrep Driver Scanner from the same site and it will handle the pnp driver installation, and get DriverMax to export drivers from a working system if you can't locate an actual download with the files in it.

To get more control of driver selection you'll probably have to start using something like MDT and filter driver selection based on the host.

Thank Post
    Also check out "MySysprep", I use this in conjunction with sysprep driver scanner. This handles different HALs which makes a universal image that much easier to deploy to differing hardware.

What I do is image up the master image before it's ever sysprepped every time it's updated, then copy in the "sysprep" folder containing all the drivers from a network share and run sysprep driverscanner and MySysprep. Once this finishes and shuts down, image this up as the deployable image. The sysprep folder gets deleted once the deployment/sysprep process finishes so the drivers get removed.

For new hardware we deploy this image and see what hardware is missing. I then do a "search in files" for the PCI/hardware vendor codes in an extracted copy of all the drivers from driverpacks.net and add the appropriate driver folder into the sysprep/drivers folder on the network share.

Then to update the deployable image, image down the master image, copy in the updated sysprep folder and re-run sysprep driver scanner/mysysprep to update it to support the new hardware. Once done, upload this as the new deployable image.

It may seem a bit unnecessary to maintain 2 copies of the image (before and after sysprep) but I prefer to keep my master template as clean as possible (i.e. never sysprepped!).

Chad

3. Thanks to Chad from:

mark (15th March 2011)

Thank Post
    If you create your image on an older machine you can successfully switch between the ACPI Uniprocessor and ACPI Multiprocessor HALs just by using Sysprep, but this is the only way that is supported to work. So you need MySysprep if this isn't good enough.

I do kind of the same thing as Chad, just keep a reference sysprep folder with everthing in and just add drivers to it as they are needed.

Thank Post
    Just as a heads up, I've nearly finished my video documentation for creating a single image. Just got to blotch out the VLK I entered so no-one can pinch it. Will post up the link when it's on, but should hopefully be today.

Thank Post
    Alright, just tested my latest image on three vastly different sets of hardware and it seems fine, so here is the video documentation I promised. Please feel free to leave a comment on the website to let me know how you got on.

Single XP Image for WDS

7. Thanks to Hightower from:

reprised (20th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Alright, just tested my latest image on three vastly different sets of hardware and it seems fine, so here is the video documentation I promised. Please feel free to leave a comment on the website to let me know how you got on.

Single XP Image for WDS
    Thanks will have a look at that

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    In my case Universal would be universal for one school then another universal image for another as each have their own software requirements so could not have a single universal anyway.
    As i deal with Mainly Primary schools, im planning to use a base image with all the Open source software installed and basic stuff. Then use Group policy to push out the different software at the sites.

Thank Post
    no real outstanding suggestions of which Application to use for imaging then? MDT or Fog - can these be installed and run from my laptop? im planning on testing as soon as i get chance

Thank Post
    I have just remembered, When we were moving over to vanilla we built the DC in VMWare then decided we wanted it on a physical machine - we used Acronis Universal Restore to create the image in vmware and then dump it (over the network on a shared location) to the server but when dumping you must specify that you want universal drivers installing - it works! that server is still up & running and I have also tried this on an XP VM to a physical PC and it works in the reverse too.

So if you can get hold of Acronis Universal Restore (We have a Enterprise license) you'll be up & running all you'll need to do is specify the drivers option and dump it to the client from the network.

It's easy to do you just boot into Acronis - create the image of the drive - save the image to the network (as long as you selected network support) then go to the client boot into Acronis Universal restore again and dump the image to the hard disk from the network share in which you saved the image.

All you need to do is get hold of the program create the boot cd and boot into it - it has all the drivers you need when it burns to disc.

If you get stuck let me know and I'll throw some documentation together as it was me that was in charge of the rollout.
    Last edited by cpjitservices; 17th March 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post

Single XP Image for WDS
    why don't you just inject the vmware nic driver into the WDS wim? instead of swapping the NIC in the vmx file.?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12