+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Computer Naming- How does this work/ best way to do this in Technical; Hi all, I'm starting to plan the migration to windows 7 and have setup WDS , MDT2010 on 2008R2. It ...

Thank Post

Computer Naming- How does this work/ best way to do this

Hi all,
    I'm starting to plan the migration to windows 7 and have setup WDS, MDT2010 on 2008R2.
    It is obviously different from RIS which is what we currently use for XP.

My question is- how does everyone deal with the join to domain using an existing computer account, as well as adding a new pc to the network?

I know you can populate the DB with some key computer details (MAC, computer name) but is this the only way?
    We only add pc's once a year to the school but might re image them as much as three times during the year- so the process must be as quick and easy as possible.
    In RIS all we do is hit F12, login and select the image with a quick hit of enter to start the process, while noting the existing computer account was being used therefore in the correct OU.

I have read alot of guides but I just can't understand how to proceed!
    Any advice or pointers would be very much appreciated.

Joe
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 4th May 2011 at 02:44 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I use some scripting to see if the machine is already known to SCCM. If its not, then a prompt for name is shown. If it is know, then SCCM manages the domain add and the ad account which is already there is reused. SCCM uses a secondary database to monitor machine names - which is distinct from AD. See my blog on here which has the info..., or PM me if you would like to do a remote session.

Thank Post
    if you leave the name blank it will prompt you for a name, not sure if thats an option?

Thank Post
    Hi- I forgot to say that we don't use SCCM.

We could name each pc as we go around- but would take the technician significantly longer aswell as having to move the computer into the correct OU and creating multiple computer accounts unless I have got that wrong.

Thank Post
    Hi Joe.

Make sure you're running MDT 2010 Update 1 first of all:

Download details: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2010 Update 1

Additionally, download and look at the documents in that print ready zip specifically the Quick Start Guides (minus the SCCM one hehe)

I found it pretty invaluable initally, although I was following the SCCM one, there should be plenty in that document pack to sift through.

Providing you have WDS / DHCP etc all set up, you can find some guides in the stickied thread here: [ Complete guide to ] or check the forums here: [ http://www.windows-noob.com ] for bits n' bobs

I'm planning to write up something myself soon regarding both MDT deployments and SCCM deployments so er....watch this space

Thank Post
    Tarqel,
    Thanks for the pointers but I really can't find much about computer naming anywhere.

I have found a another forum with a way around this using a webservice:
    RIS-style naming with MDT 2010: Use a web service - Michael Niehaus' Windows and Office deployment ramblings - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

When I boot into litetouch, all I want is for the pc which is most cases would be pre existing to have it's correct computer name pulled in from AD. At the moment even though a computer account already exists I get MININT-HFKW822.

Thanks

Thank Post
    You can configure Task Sequence variables in the Task Sequence to do this.

Lets put it another way, how do YOU want it to name the computers?

The MININT thing is because its being executed from PXE and thus treating it as a bare metal install.

While I'm only really on the angle of SCCM with MDT OS deployment, i believe alot of it is the same - as far as the Task Sequences go - so tell me how you want to name them first i.e. do u want it to auto take the Asset Tag or Service Tag [if Dell], do you want it so you can type the name in yourself, etc etc?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Well, if the machine is not known to the domain a generic name such as MININT.... is fine as I can choose to rename it either there and then or in windows. What I would like is for the computer name to be set to whatever it is known as in AD. To do this though a query would need to run against the AD- perhaps looking at the objectGUID (netbootGUID was what RIS used to use if I have this right).
    I'm basically used to how RIS did things and want to try and replicate this as. Unless I am missing something really obvious- which is always possible.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    I havent personally got it to "look up" its own name when deploying via MDT/SCCM but certainly sounds good if its possible. I know that if you script the joining using the Task Sequence, it will auto use the same computer object in AD etc i.e. no duplicates, at least, it works for us

What I'm aiming to do is to use the Asset Tag [NOT Service Tag] of a machine (we use Dell) and have that populate the computer name automatically. Currently, it isnt used so I'd have it go something like this:

- Pre selection of Task Sequence, check the asset tag and replace the computername variable with this
    - If correct, then the techie performing the deployment doesnt need to alter it, but if it hasnt been set yet, then they can correct this to what it should be
    - During the Task Sequence deployment of the OS, it writes back the chosen computername into the BIOS of that machine (so its set for a future time)

Unfortunately, Dell's tool isnt the easiest (i.e. seems in some way to have to be installed / added to the Boot Image) so I cant just roll out a update to all machines with a script that auto places their computername into the BIOS of their machine

At least.... I dont *think* i can

Anyhow, thats just an example of what I'm aiming to do, and as I say, when the Task Sequence joins the machine to the domain, and uses this computername, if it already exists, that object is used so theres no error or duplicate errors (at least I havent seen any), which isnt like RIS that would [rightly] moan if you were trying to add a computer that already exists in AD. MDT seems to handle it better, or at least, SCCM with MDT does at any rate.

Thank Post
    I used the guide here Deploying Windows 7 - Part 1: Windows AIK 2.0 Enhancements and I'm using the MDT Database to name computers. Had spiceworks to export the mac addresses though so that made it a bit easier. If you have the mac addresses of the clients though this is really easy to do and I've managed to get a fully automated install with this

Thank Post
    I know this thread related to MDT, which I don't use as it appears to be overly complicated, but I have computer names pulled from AD. This may be somewhat applicable to you MDT users.

I use plain WDS with the standard windows 7 boot.wim and install.wim, to this I attach an unattend file which contains amongst other things the following.
    Code:
    <settings pass="specialize">
        <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State">
            <RegisteredOrganization>My School</RegisteredOrganization>
            <RegisteredOwner>My Dept</RegisteredOwner>
            <TimeZone>GMT Standard Time</TimeZone>
            <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar>
            <ProductKey>33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH</ProductKey>
            <ComputerName>%MACHINENAME%</ComputerName>
        </component>
    </settings>
    On the WDS server's properties, under PXE Response I have:
    Respond to all client computers (and require approval)
    Under AD DS I have:
    Computer Account Location set to a custom OU for newly built computers.

To build a fresh machine, I boot it via PXE, whereby it waits until it is authorised on the WDS server. I use the Name and Approve option which will assign a new computer account to that designated computer name with the corresponding computer GUID on the AD remote install tab. During the sysprep phase of install, the computername is pulled from AD via the %machinename% variable.

Subsequent reinstalls do not require naming or approving and will again pull the corresponding computer name via AD.

Apologies for the long winded reply, I just thought an overview was important.

Matt

Thank Post
    Matt- thanks, it has made me think that what I want to do with MDT/Deployment Workbench is not possible at least not without some third party modifications. I'm considering just going back to use WDS as it will do what I've asked (very similar to RIS).

I'd like to here from other members on what configuration they use, specifically with naming when use MDT/WorkBench/Lite Touch

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread