+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Tips for beginners in Technical; Anyone done a 2003 > 2008 upgrade on a WDS box? (I'm after the improved driver functionality). Microsoft hints that ...

Thank Post
    Anyone done a 2003 > 2008 upgrade on a WDS box? (I'm after the improved driver functionality). Microsoft hints that it's better to do a clean install / migrate the services than an upgrade.

Thank Post
    I did an upgrade this week, and it's fine. One caveat: if you have legacy images that show up as RISETUP (not RIPREP), you must convert them first or you won't be able to later. Do it by pulling them down to a machine and then immediately capturing them again as boot images. This caused us problems with some Ghost auto-images.

3. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

pete (5th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi, i have a windows xp image, and i like to integrate some drivers, but i get

C:\Windows\system32>peimg /inf="H:\Pcs sala 5\outros drivers\Audio\WDM\HDXCPC.in
    f" /image=d:\Mount
    Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The image directory specified is not a valid Windows PE image.

PEIMG failed to complete the operation with status code 0x8007000d.

what can i need to do?

Thank Post
    peimg is for integrating drivers into boot images, not install images. Use imagex and sysprep, there are plenty of guides around for them.

6. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

flaviorodrigues (5th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    peimg is for integrating drivers into boot images, not install images. Use imagex and sysprep, there are plenty of guides around for them.
    can you give me any tutorial so i can see how this works?

thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Naming XP machines

I'm working on our WDS setup and have come from a RIS background. The server broke so I have had to rebuild it on another one. I cannot start up the original one at the moment.

With RIS you could do a custom install that then let you enter a machine name upon installation. We had it so that it joined the domain and added itself to the a 'Managed Workstations' OU container. I liked the fact that you could name machines as it was similar to what we used to do with CC3 and the workstation build.

Moving forward I want to use images as we do not now have that many different hardware types across the school. My issue (after creating the image) is whether it is possible to insert the name just before I deploy the image (like RIS) or do I have to prestage things with the GUID in the AD?

Any advice on this would be welcome. I'm ploughing through the guides found on here and they are excellent but nothing mentions this.

Many thanks

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    I'm working on our WDS setup and have come from a RIS background. The server broke so I have had to rebuild it on another one. I cannot start up the original one at the moment.

With RIS you could do a custom install that then let you enter a machine name upon installation. We had it so that it joined the domain and added itself to the a 'Managed Workstations' OU container. I liked the fact that you could name machines as it was similar to what we used to do with CC3 and the workstation build.

Moving forward I want to use images as we do not now have that many different hardware types across the school. My issue (after creating the image) is whether it is possible to insert the name just before I deploy the image (like RIS) or do I have to prestage things with the GUID in the AD?

Any advice on this would be welcome. I'm ploughing through the guides found on here and they are excellent but nothing mentions this.

Many thanks

Gareth

Gareth, did you ever find out if the highlighted bit in bold is possible? Thanks

Or can anyone confirm if it is and if so, how?

Thank Post
    For our naming, I put %machinename% into Computer Name section of the SysPrep file and it prompts me for a name upon each install. Bit of a pain but didn't know how to re-image a machine remotely and have it pick up a name.

Thank Post
    I did an upgrade this week, and it's fine. One caveat: if you have legacy images that show up as RISETUP (not RIPREP), you must convert them first or you won't be able to later. Do it by pulling them down to a machine and then immediately capturing them again as boot images. This caused us problems with some Ghost auto-images.

I'm about to move a 2003 WDS mixed mode server to another box (possibly a VM if that's recommended) I currently just deploy a 'flat' install that shows up as a RiSetup image, what will I need to do to these if I move them to a Windows 2008 WDS server?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Deploy your image to a machine somewhere (but don't boot it), and capture it back to your WDS server.

Thank Post
    Yeah, I'd really love to be able to name XP computers before the image download like we could on the old skool RIS. It really sucks having to rename PCs (by hand) after the fact, or during the minisetup stage.

Thank Post
    Deploy your image to a machine somewhere (but don't boot it), and capture it back to your WDS server.

So I deploy the image without booting then use RIPrep to capture that as a disk image. Would I be able to add new drivers to the captured image?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    So I deploy the image without booting then use RIPrep to capture that as a disk image. Would I be able to add new drivers to the captured image?

Thanks.
    Sortof. Once you have a WIM-format image, you can mount it and do some registry and file hocus-pocus to have Windows find them during sysprep. I don't have my notes to hand, if you need them I'll dig them out after the holiday (when I'm actually taking some leave for once! )

Thank Post
    Sortof. Once you have a WIM-format image, you can mount it and do some registry and file hocus-pocus to have Windows find them during sysprep. I don't have my notes to hand, if you need them I'll dig them out after the holiday (when I'm actually taking some leave for once! )

I'll let you know after the hols then i'm taking xmas off this year as well have a good one.

Cheers.

Thank Post
    At long last.
    Been trying to pxe boot x64 from x32 wds server but just would not see the x64 images. Then came across this article how-to-boot-64-bit-boot-image-from-wds-pxe-when-only-32-bit-will-show
    Now all is fine

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast