Another couple of days have been spent rebuilding machines and while I've got my image itself perfected the deployment of it is still not right my machines are still not being named correctly and rejoining the domain.
Everything I have read on edugeekers blogs, wiki's and technet makes sense and as far as I can tell I'm following it but I still continually get %MACHINE% in the computer name box instead of either its original machine name from AD or if its an unknown machine the machine name generated by the mask in the WDS properties.
My understanding of this is as follows now.
1) Set up WDS for capture and deploy (Done)
2) Make an ideal XP image with driver repository on C: and sysprep it with minisetup enabled and Re-Seal.
3) Boot from PXE and capture the image to the server.
4) Specify a WDSClientUnattend.xml for the server which will pick the deply image and select the .WIM in the correct image group after partitioning the drive. The partitioning is working and the right image .wim is being pulled down so I'm pretty sure I'm right to here.
5) Place an sysprep.inf in the correct folder to automate the installation of the image. It gets placed on the boot drive once the .wim is extracted ready to control mini setup.
It is placed in \\wdsserver\REMINST\Images\Imagegroup\imagefilenam e\$OEM$\$1\sysprep
6) Boot PC from PXE and it should arrive at a ctrl+alt+del to log on screen after 20mins ish connected to the domain and ready to go.
7)tear out hair because it doesn't.
I will post my WDSClientUnattend.xml and my sysprep.inf bellow if anyone can point out anything I'd be very greatful because I'm stumped. WDS just doesn't seem to be replacing the %MACHINE% and %MACHINEDOMAIN% variables and I can't figure out why. Wether a machine is correctly prestaged or not its still %MACHINE% in the computer name box when it runs mini setup. I would expect either "RIS-PC##" or "ICT1-PC07". If I change %MACHINE% in the syprep.inf to * it correctly generates a random name based on our organisation.
sysrep.inf edited to remove the component and drivers blocks cos they are huge and Unrelated.
<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" processorArchitecture="x86">
<ImageName>Dell 170L 3</ImageName>
<!-- Create Partition, 30GB C -->
<!-- Create Partition, Rest of Drive -->
<!-- Create logical Partition within Extended Partition D -->