+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG 0.30 Released! in Technical; I think the installer is only tested on ubuntu and fedora so either of those would seem a logical choice. ...
    Thank Post
    I think the installer is only tested on ubuntu and fedora so either of those would seem a logical choice.
    I use debian and haven't had any issues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I use debian and haven't had any issues.
    We have FOG running on Debian Lenny right now - I've just had too many issues with Ubuntu Server in the past, I just rather prefer Debian these days. Saying that, I'm not having a great deal of success installing Debian Squeeze on my own servers right at the moment - the GRUB2 bootloader (or, at least, it's installation/configuration from Debian) seems rather flakey.

Thank Post
    On Xenserver I had to install the grub legacy package after an upgrade to Squeeze to get it to boot.
    I guess you are running it on Xen though so maybe there is a different workaround but I imagine it's the same backend stuff trying to locate and execute the bootloader.
    Our FOG system is still on debian lenny for the time being though.

4. Thanks to morganw from:

dhicks (26th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I guess you are running it on Xen though so maybe there is a different workaround but I imagine it's the same backend stuff trying to locate and execute the bootloader.
    I think GRUB2 is just getting confused finding the boot partition at all - this is on my own (brand new) Atom-based server with two harddrives for storage and a USB stick as a OS/boot device. I had the same issue with my Core i3 server - I wound up swapping the USB stick for a USB harddrive and installing plain GRUB via SystemRescueCD. I'm just waiting for a new SATA controller card to arrive, then I'll plug another harddrive into this server and see how I get on with that.

Our FOG system is still on debian lenny for the time being though.
    The school's FOG install will be running on Xenserver, so your advice above will come in very handy, thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    we run it on RedHat Enterprise 5.5, which is virtually identical to Centos 5.5, if that is any help to you.

Thank Post
    Hey guys i have just upgraded to 0.30 on unbuntu and when i try to upload a windows 7 image it freezes after 5 or 6 seconds help!!

Thank Post
    maybe remove the add to AD from sysprep and use fog solution and it's ability to add to AD.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by binglegc View Post
    Hey guys i have just upgraded to 0.30 on unbuntu and when i try to upload a windows 7 image it freezes after 5 or 6 seconds help!!
    Been troubleshooting a bit more today, it seems it is only intels DH55PJ motherboard with the issue.

Last edited by binglegc; 2nd March 2011 at 04:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Any chance of enlightening me on this a bit more, we too are experiencing very slow image deployment, that's if it starts at all.

Where about was the file you replaced? (running on a ubuntu server.)

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I've found deploying images to PCs with 0.30 is a lot slower than when I was using 0.29 and the latest (0.30) kernel. Has anybody else played with this yet?

After some experimentation I replaced the 0.30 init.gz with the one from 0.29 and my image times are really fast again, so it's something to do with the new busybox init.gz but I've not had time to hunt it down further yet.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdermott View Post
    Any chance of enlightening me on this a bit more, we too are experiencing very slow image deployment, that's if it starts at all.

John
    Crikey - we've had all sorts of issues with 0.30 to the point where we've replaced the init.gz with the 0.29 version and rolled back the default kernel to the previous one we were using.

Some of our machines imaged (upload and download) phenomenally fast though - triple the speed in some cases - others just stopped working with Fog. Everything worked with the 0.29 hence the roll back.

Quick image has stopped working also but we haven't had time to investigate this or to check if anything else is broken.

Cheers

HBJB
    Last edited by Heebeejeebee; 3rd March 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: erronious character removal

Thank Post
    never had a problem 6 gb image deploys in 8 min and i just did a update from 0.29 to 0.30.. never notice a speed decrease...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcdermott View Post

John
    Hi John,

I'm on Ubuntu too:

Look in /tftpboot/fog/images/ and you'll see a file called init.gz

rename this to something else: (these commands assume you have appropriate access rights)

mv /tftpboot/fog/images/init.gz /tftpboot/fog/images/init030.gz

Then copy in the init.gz from your 0.29 version. If you still have the 0.29 archive decompressed on your Ubuntu box it'll probably be in your opt/fog-setup directory:

cp /opt/fog-setup/fog_0.29/packages/tftp/fog/images/init.gz /tftpboot/fog/images/

After I did this I got my download speed back. I didn't bother downgrading the kernel as it seems OK with the 0.30 one (though it's quite verbose in spurious error messages which can seemingly be ignored). The only downside is slower upload speeds again, but I'd sooner have quicker downloads as we do far more of those!

HTH,

Chad

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cools View Post
    never had a problem 6 gb image deploys in 8 min and i just did a update from 0.29 to 0.30.. never notice a speed decrease...
    What speed NICs do you have, Cools?

I'm pulling down 6Gb in under 2 mins on Lenovos, same image takes about 5min on Dell GX520s (all 1Gb NICs). With the 0.30 upgrade, these became something like 8min and one model (I forget which) went to nearer 40mins

Chad

Thank Post
    there 1 gb nics.. but the pc's are clapped out and 5 yrs old, there old Acer Power M8 with some strange nic..

the new hp dc7900 have 15 gig images and take 20min..

Thank Post
    What OS are you running FOG on? I wonder if the slow speed with 0.30 is distro related...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast