+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, How do I implement driver folders when the computer model has a / in it? in Technical; I'm using MDT2010 and trying to create folder structure for drivers based on the manufacter name and computer model (so ...
    Thank Post

How do I implement driver folders when the computer model has a / in it?

I'm using MDT2010 and trying to create folder structure for drivers based on the manufacter name and computer model (so the build will pick the relevant drivers based on the computer that it runs on). I've found loads of examples of how to set this up but on some of our computers (including my test machine) have a product name based on the motherboard.

So I've a made a folder called 'RM Plc' for the manufacturer, but when I try to make a folder for the model 'P5RD2-TVM/GB/1394' it won't let me make it because of the forward slashes.

How can I get around this problem while still using this method to install the correct drivers?

Thank Post
    Just had a thought, I'll try a folder structure that looks like:

RM Plc
    P5RD2-TVM
    GB

and see if that works.

Thank Post
    Hi Morganw

I've only just started to learn and test MDT (WDS, WAIK) a few weeks back from scratch but I highly recommend the following book:

Amazon.com: Deployment Fundamentals, Vol. 1: Migrating to Windows 7 using MDT 2010 Lite Touch and WDS (9781451570038): Johan Arwidmark, Mikael Nyström: Books

In a test lab (following the above book) I've set up the exact same scenario.

In Deployment Workbench, under Out-of-Box Drivers I've created the following folder structure:

Windows 7x86
    - Optiplex 760

- Optiplex 780

Then under Task Sequences > {name of you Image Task Sequence} select [Properties] and select [Task Sequence] Tab.

Click the [Add] button near the top left on select [General] -> [Set Task Sequence Variable]

Rename the new variable name to DriverGroup001

The Value should be set to Windows 7x86\%Model% (if following my example folder structure)

Most importantly the name of the folders must match exactly the %Model% variable reported back by WMI.

See the link below, the author has posted a blog detailing the setup much better than me!

deployvista.com > Home - MDT 2010 Lite Touch Driver Management

Thank Post
    Thanks but my systems model number is P5RD2-TVM/GB/1394.
    I cannot make folder called that because of the forward slashes so I can't match anything to the variable %Model%.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    Just had a thought, I'll try a folder structure that looks like:

RM Plc
    P5RD2-TVM
    GB

and see if that works.
    Doesn't work, I think because the slashes end up the wrong way around in the %model% variable, so it ends up trying to connect to RM Plc\P5RD2-TVM/GB/1394.

Thank Post
    I phoned RM who told me i'd have to go the manufacturer(?) and refused to let me speak to technical support as we no longer pay them for a support contract.
    I've ended up rewriting the Model information in the BIOS with a utility called DMICFG.exe so that the drivers will install properly, just changed the forward slashes in hyphens. Unfortunately I'll have to run this procedure 58 times to work through the affected workstations - at least it works though.

Thank Post
    I've had that kind of problem with a couple of models.. my solution was to lightly modify one of the MDT scripts to map "bad" model names to nice ones that will work as 'folder' names (note: they're just in XML files, not real NTFS folders). Can't get details now, can later if interested which script and where.

Thank Post
    Thanks, that would be great to see. I did look at custom scripts to take out the bad characters but couldn't find a lot of references how to create one or how (and when) to call it from the deployment process.

Thank Post
    I just went straight to the MDT script and changed that.

1) Look in <distribution folder>\scripts for: ZTIGather.wsf

2) I inserted code at ~ line 512 which is after it has attempted to retrieve the make + model and immediately before a VBS comment saying: Get the UUID from the Win32_ComputerSystemProduct class

3) Here's an example of the code to fix a 'broken' model by removing the forward-slash:

Code:
    If sModel = "ACME / COMPUTERS" then
           sModel = "ACME COMPUTERS"
    End if
    It's very quick to do and you can repeat it for any other 'broken' models as you encounter them. I've done the same thing for a 'broken' make (same as above but you test and set sMake instead of sModel). You don't need to remake the WIMs or anything because they're run directly from the distribution share.

10. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

morganw (20th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thank you. I'll give this a go...

Thank Post
    I know this thread is old but its all I could find when I was having this problem!!

I managed to write some scripts to insert into your task sequence to allow you to upgrade the DS without having to re-edit ZTIGather.wsf each time.

RS MDT Downloads | RS Software

On my site I have the MDT scripts to create two new variables which can be used to point the driver group at a folder which has been 'cleaned' of all slashes etc, and there is an app so you can remotely query WMI to get the results without visiting the machine you want to image

Hope this helps someone!!

13. Thanks to Jamo from:

PiqueABoo (17th July 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread