+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Anyone tried this before? in Technical; Imaging and Deployment | Semper Software Semper continuity suite? Was just sent the link by someone, had a read of ...
    Thank Post

Anyone tried this before?

Imaging and Deployment | Semper Software

Semper continuity suite?

Was just sent the link by someone, had a read of the page and thought it doesn't sound too bad, i'm just downloading the evaluation now to see if it's any good but does anyone else have any first hand experience to say if it's even worth trialing?

2. Thanks to mrbios from:

tech_guy (18th January 2011)

Thank Post
    This is the first I am seeing of it but WDS and MDT do everything I need and if they dont by default there are plenty of tutorials out there on how to edit .ini files to make it do that. Best of all, they are free if you have a server license. Very easy sell, easy to train others on (since most are familiar with the already built in MMC console), etc.

I used to use FOG and Symantec Ghost - so far, WDS and MDT are amazing.

Thank Post
    I agree qcomer, i haven't used FOG but having used Ghost and WDS... i simply LOVE WDS! Though always interested when something haven't seen before crops up

Thank Post
    Just watched this video: YouTube - Kanal von SemperSoftware

So while i was reading the worlds deployment and imaging, it appears it does something slightly more interesting! Could be very useful, especially as people have a habit of switching machines off by the mains rather than shutting them down properly, currupt files no longer an issue i wonder?

I'm just testing up 2 VMs to run a test.

Thank Post
    Just thought i would bump this, i'm still testing it but initial impressions of what you can do in their PXE boot environment are fantastic!

Being able to go into the registry, browse files on both client and server and run various disk utilities and much more straight from the PXE system on top of the normal imaging and deployment abilities is brilliant. I think if they managed to combine this with the driver cache feature of WDS on 2008R2 it would be perfect.

Worth noting: The .iso for evaluation from their website sometimes doesn't download properly through firefox. Though i think their looking in to that problem.
    The image i downloaded had a certificate which went out of date 2 days before i downloaded so i had to get them to send me a new certificate.
    Last edited by mrbios; 21st January 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Just thought i would bump this, i'm still testing it but initial impressions of what you can do in their PXE boot environment are fantastic!

Being able to go into the registry, browse files on both client and server and run various disk utilities and much more straight from the PXE system on top of the normal imaging and deployment abilities is brilliant. I think if they managed to combine this with the driver cache feature of WDS on 2008R2 it would be perfect.

Worth noting: The .iso for evaluation from their website sometimes doesn't download properly through firefox. Though i think their looking in to that problem.
    The image i downloaded had a certificate which went out of date 2 days before i downloaded so i had to get them to send me a new certificate.
    Whats the cost like? WDS/MDT and FOG work due to price and features. I thinkg there is so much you can do with wds/mdt that I am not even aware of yet. Learning a lot though, when I start to use it for deploying ill learn more im sure. I do like the database feature and custom .ini files to make stuff happen, very nice.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information