+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Deep Freeze alternative in Technical; Morning all, I am looking for a free alternative to Deep Freeze. I have a system that is already setup, ...

Thank Post

Deep Freeze alternative

Morning all,

I am looking for a free alternative to Deep Freeze.

I have a system that is already setup, and I need to have the following functionality:

• Restore my system to its previous state on reboot
    • Allow the program to be temporarily stopped allowing permenant changes

I cannot run this in a virtual mode however as it is to slow for the users needs.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Kind Regards

Tom

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts

Thank Post
    Thank you "mac_shinobi"

I have had a quick look at this and it is probably worth noting this does have to sit in a Windows 7 OS, which steady state doesn't seem to support.

Do you have any further information on this?

Kind Regards

Tom

Thank Post
    Tom,

I used to be a huge fan of Deep Freeze (infact, every department I worked in if they didnt have it I pushed for it). Lately though, I am realizing how much more work it is causing. To run any updates or installs I have to reboot MULTIPLE TIMES (to thaw, to freeze, etc), sometimes clients dont talk back to console, yadda yaada. It adds a lot more steps for simple things.

Lately I have used the approach - user is responsible for data (unless they save it to their personal mapped drived or my documents which is redirected). If we can, we try to backup data if possible. IF there are problems, dont even waste time - just reimage. As long as you have an understanding and communicate that to your staff and back it up by showing how much time and resouces (aka $$) it will save it will be an easy push. This is good especially when staff have laptops (we didnt use to allow but now we have to) - we realized by using deep freeze it actually locked them down too much (they had to constantly re-add wifi connections at conferences, home, etc) but now we just lock them down with Group Policy and if we have issues we reimage. Works much better.

Thank Post
    second vote for steady state as a free alternative.

Personally I hate any frozen OS software in the production setup. The reason being is that if your Active Directory is properly configured you can implement good GPO settings to remove issues you commonly run into.

Thank Post
    I agree. I do love Steady State for my little brothers' in law laptop though lol.

Freezing computers causes too much extra work for me when GPO is built in and a good image is handy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Apparently windows 7 guest mode if it exists which is meant to be similar to steady state or comodo time machine

Data Recovery with Comodo Time Machine | Comodo

There is also mention of PC Guard assuming it is still in the RC for windows 7 - which is mentioned near the start here

Steady State / "Safeguard" in Windows 7

There is mention of using compatibility mode assuming this works

if you still want to install Steady State you can use this trick and install Steady State on Windows 7.

1. Right click on the Steady State setup file.

2. Click on Properties.

3. Click on the Compatibility tab.

Select previous version of Windows option. This option will allow Windows 7 to automatically use the previous version compatibility mode it thinks is best for the MSI file to run properly.

If the Compatibility options are grayed out, then it is a 64 bit program and cannot be changed.

Thank Post
    Thumbs up from me for comodo tiime machine.

Thank Post
    Just been having a quick look at Comodo Time Machine. Looks like a good piece of software.

I'm not back into work until Wednesday as I'm on a course tomorrow, but I will definitely give it a try. "Price: 100% Free" Is one of the most beneficial factors of the software.

Anybody have any interesting points / complaints / tips about it?

If I were to write an application that runs a set number of commands, does Comodo Time machine allow calls to its API or through a command prompt?

For those who have mentioned "Steady State". This would have been a viable approach in the past but due to Microsoft's discontinuation of development and support I cannot be satisfied this is a future proofed solution.

I will post back my findings as soon as I have completed an eval.

Kind Regards

T Noble

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread