+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Software Updates in Technical; How do people on here do software updates with SCCM ? I configured it a while back but wondering if ...

Thank Post

Software Updates

How do people on here do software updates with SCCM?

I configured it a while back but wondering if it'd be easier to revert back to WSUS as it seems easier to manage them than through SCCM...

Thank Post
    WSUS is working quite happily so I've left it as is for now. I guess it is better to have the whole lot done through SCCM but had more pressing things to do at the time than move away from a system that's working fine

Thank Post
    I'm just setting up SCCM now. I think WSUS is the way to go unless you want reporting on the updates.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I do use SCCM to do the updates but I have tinkered with it and changed my approach a few times and am still not sure on the best way to do it. Actually I am rejigging it now.

I am going to do the following: Have search folders for each type of update I want to send out (eg Win7, Vista, XP), have update lists to have a quick method to track installation progress (eg I have an old one for XP SP3 and one for post XP3 updates) and deployment templates for the different types of machines (eg servers and workstations).

The update packages are then targeted to update collections (eg server updates, workstation updates). This is quite handy as you can use dynamic collections to help you out. For example when was making sure one school's XP machines were up to date I created two groups, one that picked out machines without SP3 and targeted just the SP3 package at it and one that picked out the SP3 machines and targeted post SP3 updates at that. Once a non SP3 machine showed up in the right group it installed SP3, then when the groups updated it installed all post SP3 updates.

Not sure how that compares with WSUS on its own I haven't really used it much without SCCM (perhaps I am doing things the hard way!)

A really handy thing with SCCM though is that you can install updates during a build task.

Thank Post
    Well SCCM is configured for WSUS, but I'm not sure if it is deploying any updates
    I have 3 Update Lists / Management and packages in SCCM

Non OS Updates (everything from Office to SQL Server, etc)
    Windows Client Updates (XP / Vista / 7)
    Windows Server Updates (2003 / 2008 / R2)

During a build it appears to downlooad the updates when applying the OS
    Once The system is built with windows 7 the problems start

in the CCM Client -> Update tab the "install updates on schedule" is unchecked - even though I have configured a GPO and the SU Agent / Role
    If I go to System Properties -> Windows Updates it says that the system is up to date, but the only installed update is "Windows Update Agent"

I am not sure what logs to look at in the CCM\Logs folder or even what to look for!

Did the updates get slipstreamed into the OS during its build?
    Or, more likely is it just not working...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It doesn't slipstream the updates it installs them as normal to the OS.

Quick way to check could be to create an update with an update you know should be on the machines, when you look at the list it will tell you how many need it vs how many have it. That could tell you if the update is installed, if the update is pending to be applied/running or if the figures are out you have a problem.

Thank Post
    I use Search folders with: Enterprise Searches (years, critical, months), Packages and OS. The main one is OS. Inside OS i have client/server folders. Inside those 7/xp and 2003/2008/r2 respectfully.

I only keep deployment packages for each OS and the major packages. I add and take away updates from each package, so keep it simple. When setup just a few clicks and they are done.

Thank Post
    Argh! how difficult is this?

Updates getting synced into SCCM
    Deployment Templates and Management tasks created
    SU role & client configured
    GPO created to point all PCs to the SCCM (sccm.domainname.com:8530)

When I go to a client after a reboot t refresh policies, WU says "Up to date", but when I check the only update is a Windows Update Agent..

Nothing in the CCM Cache folder to indicate Updates have come down from SCCM...

I'm close to reverting back to WSUS...

Thank Post
    Hurrah! it's working!

Cos my SCCM is in native mode, I needed to use SSL for WSUS!
    So put the relevant Certificates in IIS and reconfigured a WSUS GPO at the domain level to use https..

Though for some reason my DC doesn't appear to be getting any updates - or packages at all actually.. Hmm...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread