+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Problems applying an image "Windows ccould not finish configuring the system" in Technical; Good morning all Right, firstly, I've built a number of images now as staff are realising what I meant when ...
    Thank Post

Problems applying an image "Windows ccould not finish configuring the system"

Good morning all

Right, firstly, I've built a number of images now as staff are realising what I meant when I said "if you have software that you use through the school and we have a site license, please let me know about it so I can ensuring it's installed for you", but I'm having a problem with my latest image.

Basically, I'm getting the old "Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration restart the computer" but I can't for the life of me figure out why.

I build the images by installing a vanilla Windows 7 Pro 32-bit image from the server (I've found if I build fully from disk, I get a shed load of other errors, so doing it this way is easier), install the various software we need (the list this time has become longer again, but this new image is mainly because I forgot one piece of software when I did it just before Christmas, and it's a piece of software the staff use a lot .. oopsy!)

I've done a bit of searching about to see if I can find a reason as to why it's not working on this particular occassion, but as yet, I'm finding nothing, so thought I would seek the wisdom of you all to see if anyone has any pointers.

I had rewritten my unattended file, so I put back the old one instead to see if that was the issue, but alas, it wasn't.

If you need more information to help solve (which I'm sure you will, but not quite sure what, hence not posting anything more than this here now) then I'll put it up, just let me know what. I'm new to WDS as I used to be a ghost man, but certainly relatively new to W7 Deployment.

Thanks all

Thank Post
    When you said "I build the images by installing a vanilla Windows 7 Pro 32-bit image from the server" how do you mean ? are you installing it fresh to clients as a base im age then installing software ?

I'd do it in VMWare - We've had problems rolling out 7 through WDS. We built the image on a machine at first (the machines we were actually going use) but it was a no go. We built the image in VMWare with all software / drivers installed yada yada yada, then imaged the virtual machine to the server and rolled it out through FOG- works a treat.

3. Thanks to cpjitservices from:

soveryapt (11th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjitservices View Post
    When you said "I build the images by installing a vanilla Windows 7 Pro 32-bit image from the server" how do you mean ? are you installing it fresh to clients as a base im age then installing software ?
    Yup, you got it in one ... I use the WIM with a basic unattended file .. a method I've used for every other image and it's been fine ...

I'd do it in VMWare - We've had problems rolling out 7 through WDS. We built the image on a machine at first (the machines we were actually going use) but it was a no go. We built the image in VMWare with all software / drivers installed yada yada yada, then imaged the virtual machine to the server and rolled it out through FOG- works a treat.
    I'll give this a go, as then I can duplicate the machine before the imaging to the server which means I still have a version to then make amendments too!

Thank Post
    Sounds like a plan. VM Seems to be the best option and then replicate it too your server like you said.

Let me know how it goes - here to help if you need it.

Thank Post
    vm is def the way to go. snapshots and all that jazz as well.

do your self a favour if you haven't already and download mdt.

Thank Post
    @aptproductions: how did it go with the VM and Windows 7 Image ?

Thank Post
    @aptproductions: how did it go with the VM and Windows 7 Image ?
    I've not been in today, and the other day I didn't get chance as you know what it's like with teachers, they're always more important than anything else, and they keep harassing you until you do what they want, meaning what you want to do to make your life easier never gets done. I'll keep you posted though!

Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    do your self a favour if you haven't already and download mdt.
    Already got it and it does make it easier, it's just this last image which is really being a pain. They other 5 I've done since Sept have been fine, after ironing out the initial few complications.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    I've not been in today, and the other day I didn't get chance as you know what it's like with teachers, they're always more important than anything else, and they keep harassing you until you do what they want, meaning what you want to do to make your life easier never gets done. I'll keep you posted though!
    they're so used to bossing round 12 year old kids, they tend to get things out of proportion sometimes.

Thank Post
    they're so used to bossing round 12 year old kids, they tend to get things out of proportion sometimes.
    lol .. don't they just .. generally, if I'm busy doing something then I ignore them as best I can .. or put them off and make them wait on purpose .. that's a game I do like .. they come along saying how urgent something is and they've been looking all over for me (I of course have been sat in my office where I work where there is an extension so ...) so I normally have something open I can Alt-Tab to that looks important and say I'm just in the middle of something and I'll come along as soon as possible ..

The best is when they send a kid up who (as I work in a school for children with ASD) will then stand there and wait for me if I've said I'll be along in a minute as the teacher has said go along and bring Andy back to sort the computer out .. so as they take things literally .. they feel they then have to wait to bring me back .. you can always tell when they're not too fussed by the child they send as some are "worse" that others, so there are some you can say I'll be along shortly and they'll go back and let the teacher know, but it's when they send the ones that wait you know it's a REALLY trivial problem .. lol ..

Thank Post
    instead of alt-tabing take a screen shot of an error filled event log or some kind of MMC console filled with errors like red crosses and yellow exclamation marks and set it as your desktop wallpaper!

Thank Post
    instead of alt-tabing take a screen shot of an error filled event log or some kind of MMC console filled with errors like red crosses and yellow exclamation marks and set it as your desktop wallpaper!
    I like your thinking! lol ..

Thank Post
    Well, I've made a start .. thus far only creating the VM and getting apps installed .. tomorrow I'll give the duplicating and sysprepping a go and see if I can't get an image to roll out to a machine .. I don't know why I didn't do this in the first place, makes so much more sense! lol ..

found a couple of decent tutorials using Virtual PC too .. see how it goes .. whoop ..

Thank Post
    I had the same problem and found it was caused by the wmpnetwork service. I found a few threads on the MS website about it. Kill the process before imaging and so far no problems.

I'm going to build myself a new image using a VM as well though in the next few weeks.

15. Thanks to actech from:

soveryapt (14th January 2011)

Thank Post
    1 - Creating and Maintaining a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC on Windows 7

2 - Creating and Maintaining a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC on Windows 7 - Part 2 of 3 - Step by Step - Detailed Screen Captures

3 - Creating and Maintaining a Windows 7 Image using Virtual PC on Windows 7 - Part 3 of 3 - Step by Step - Detail Screen Captures

These are the how tos that I'm currently following (and now having to rush it through as we had some new classrooms built, something I was told though they might be used every so often as spare rooms, the computers were ok for now and it would be getting on for Feb half term when they were fully commissioned ..

Today, they've started using one room as a form room and need a computer .. I could throw an old image on it, but they need it NOW .. so I've told them instead that they'll have to wait for this new image .. but of course, now I', feeling pressured to get it right!

GAH!

Thanks to @actech for the tip .. I'll look into that too!

Thank Post
    A Windows 7 or a Windows Server 2008 R2 image deployment process stops when you try to deploy the image on another computer

I was having the same error after Sysprepping and deploying (or testing on the same machine). The image I then made with the hotfix applied worked first time. YMMV.

18. Thanks to jtotheb from:

soveryapt (17th January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast