+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Cloning Fog Server with Clonezilla in Technical; Hi! Using Clonezilla I cloned a Dell laptop running Ubuntu 10.10 with FOG .29. I made the clone to a ...

Thank Post

Cloning Fog Server with Clonezilla

Hi!

Using Clonezilla I cloned a Dell laptop running Ubuntu 10.10 with FOG .29.

I made the clone to a 500GB 3.5" sata HDD intending to use it as just a back up image for the laptop; but then I was curious to see what would happen if I put that HDD into a regular desktop PC. I was surprised to see that it took a little while longer to boot the first time but now it runs Ubuntu just as if it were an original install.
    However:
    I can't get FOG to work because of the changes of networking hardware (I'm guessing).

I see that the eth0 is now eth1 so I changed the two config files that I'm aware of but still no network. This FOG is also the DHCP server.
    /var/www/fog/commons/config.php
    /opt/fog/service/etc/config.php

All I use is an 8 port gigabit switch and the laptop.

What else should be changed or would it be better to just reinstall FOG?
    And if I did reinstall just FOG would it leave the original /images folder intact ?

I have been using FOG to deploy just about every version of XP, Vista and 7 in a refurbishment center .

thanks

Thank Post
    You can re-run the installer on the same hardware with no problems, not sure what would happen re-running it on different hardware, I guess it would be ok.
    If I were you I would set it up in a VM so it's portable, copying the images from the old server, possibly the database if you would have to re-add a lot of hosts. Having it in a VM also means you take snapshots before running OS or FOG updates in the future and rollback in case of problems. If the VM can't cope with the load then set up a physical storage node with the VM set as the master node - you'll get the reliabilty of the the main system being virtual with the performance of the physical storage node. If the storage node dies just make another as it doesn't carry anything that isn't on the main server.

3. Thanks to morganw from:

pwagner9999 (19th December 2010)

Thank Post
    yea Fog really does play best in a VM setting. This allows you to quickly and easily move the system from one computer to another and also do tasks such as link network cards and bonding across Vlan's.

=)

Thank Post
    Before I reinstalled FOG I renamed /opt/fog and /var/www/fog. Maybe there is a better way to uninstall FOG?

Just changing the eth number in /var/www/fog/commons/config.php and /opt/fog/service/etc/config.php was not enough. During the reinstall of FOG I used a different IP; but FOG Settings still had the old ip.

Once I changed that FOG was able to deploy again; BUT now I can't get multicasting to work!!!! All the PCs get stuck at the Please Wait blue screen.

I have been imaging 15 computers at once using multicast from a Lenovo Thinkpad x60s (This is the laptop that I cloned.). I think that is amazing. Takes about 15 minutes to get them all hooked up and pxe booting and another 20 minutes to deploy the image.

I really like the VM FOG idea and have used it at home. I will give it another try at work soon.

Last edited by pwagner9999; 1st January 2011 at 11:18 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread