+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Fog and windows 7 in Technical; Hi people We are using fog 0.29 with xp at the moment, We tried the 0.29 client with xp but ...
    Thank Post

Fog and windows 7

Hi people

We are using fog 0.29 with xp at the moment, We tried the 0.29 client with xp but it would not join to the domain so we use the 0.28 client and all is good.

We are currently looking at windows 7, i have created an image and installed fog client 0.29. The hostname changes but no domain join happens, do i need netdom installed for windows 7. (i think i read somewhere that with fog client 0.29 netdom was not required.)

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help
    nick

Thank Post
    Have you run the fog prep tool? If you go to http://servername/fog/client there should be a link to Fog Prep. I've never done this as I do not use Win7 but it states on that page that it must be run on Win7 machines.

Maybe someone who has iimaged Win7 machines can shed more light onto this.

Thank Post
    Yes i have tried the fog prep, i am not sure what that does though?

thanks though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bart21 View Post
    Yes i have tried the fog prep, i am not sure what that does though?

thanks though
    I'm not too sure what it does either. Are you getting any errors in C:\log.txt?

Also if you haven't already try installing windows support tools or specifically netdom. As you said newer versions of the client don't need it, but as a troubleshooting excersise you could try installing it, that way you can eliminate that.

Thank Post
    Thanks. Will try that on monday.

Thank Post
    I haven't seen a post to this, so I'm assuming it worked? However, I could use some help with this issue as well.

We were deploying a whole gaggle of netbooks to our School district that came loaded with XP. For whatever the reason, my Boss decided he wanted to run Win7 instead (not accounting for the fact that Win7 doesn't like single-label DNS, which some of our older Win2000 Servers have). We have always been able to image Win7 no problem, but have never been able to run it on our network, only as a stand-alone server on its own network...which means no AD integration.

Here's what I've found. Win7 has NETDOM, it's just not installed. This guy has a pretty good article on how to install it. However, that's only half of the battle because the file path for NETDOM is different between XP and Win7. I suspect this matters because I stumbled upon a config file by accident when rooting through an XP hard-drive looking for something else. I do not know exactly what procedure FOG goes through when joining a workstation to a domain. BUT, I do know that the following file exists in XP after you have installed the FOGClient:
    "C:\Program Files\FOG\etc\config.ini".
    In that file,on or about line 95, is:
    # ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Path to netdom.exe (only used is updateactivedirectory=1)
    # ------------------------------------------------------------------------

netdompath=C:\Program Files\Support Tools\netdom.exe
    Since I have never seen Hostname Changer in action, I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

My second issue is that, the FOGClient will not install onto Windows7. When we attempted to installed, an error popper up stating the Fog service had already been installed and then the install canceled itself. So, unfortunately, on a Win7 workstation, I couldn't even mess with the aforementioned issue.

If anyone out there in Internet-Land happens across this post, please let me know of any similar issues!

Thank Post
    What version of fog are you using?

If .29 netdom is no longer required and there is a fix for joining the domain.

Thank Post

Now using 0.29

At the time we were using 0.28. I have since upgraded to 0.29 but have not attempted to set-up a FOG server on the Network. Do you know what the fix is or what it does to join the domain?

Thank Post
    Net Dom is not required.

I spent hours playing with fog. In the active directory fields:
    Username = domain\username
    Password = your password for that user
    Domain = your domain netbios name.

Then you will see the domain\username will change to domain\\username. This is caused by magic quotes. You need to open your php.ini file and search for magic_quotes. Set these to off. Then remove a \ from the user name field and it will join the domain.

Any issues feel free to pm me.

Thank Post
    Hi Bart21,

I've just joined, so am unable to pm you.

I came across this topic yesterday whilst looking into deploying Windows 7 with FOG. A quick bit of background (feel free to ignore). I work for a school. We've used FOG now for a few years - works great for XP, can use sysprep to join machines to the network - sorted. However, during the past year we've been playing with MDT2010 and Windows Deployment Services. That works quite nicely, but we're unable to multicast - big issue there, and more recently I've been unable to deploy to 2 machine types. Keep getting strange errors - nothing to do with drivers which had fixed a previous issue. So rolling out Windows 7 over the entire site during the summer should prove interesting!

I thought I'd check FOG out again - still have the server set up and it's still used to image machines that we're not ready to move over to Windows 7. Updated to version .30 then started some reading. The reason we stopped using FOG is that we couldn't get a standard image to rename and join the domain. Could you tell me please how you've managed this? On XP, we install programs that we can't or dont want to install via group policy, join the domain (machine was called XP-Test) or something, run sysprep, restart the machine and capture. Then when we deploy it works, need to enter admin details and machine name etc from sysprep setup, log in, restart and machine installs programs from group policy and away.

I've read that you can't have the machine already connected to the domain before capture, which is doable, but would be easier if this wasn't true - to install and set up certain programs. Can you confirm this? You say Netdom isn't needed? Can you talk me through it some more. Machine ready to go - on or off domain (can work it either) awaiting capture. Do you need to run sysprep or maybe fogprep?
    I read you post about Magic_Quotes. Which php.ini file is this located in? We're currently using Linux Mint (basically Ubuntu 9), and I've found a couple of them under:

/etc/php5/apache2
    /etc/php5/cli

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Grey Fox

Thank Post
    Hi
    Netdom is not needed. The magic quotes is in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini.

it is better if machine is off and never has been on the domain. You CANNOT image when still on the domain.

any more probs feel free to post back.

Sorry for the short reply, im on iphone and not so easy to type.

nick

Thank Post
    We use Fog 0.29 and now 0.30 to roll out windows 7 images to hundreds of computers and laptops in our school and it works perfectly fine. I can say 100% for sure that netdom is not needed (hostnamechanger.dll uses API calls to join the domain now), fogprep (whatever it does) is not needed because I never new it even existed until reading this thread and you can (and in fact must) sysprep a windows 7 install and upload an image from that without any problems at all.

If you sysprep your windows 7 install correctly before you upload it, it will work fine even if it is on the domain (sysprep removes it from the domain, resets its name, fully re-generalises the install and puts it in a state where it will completely re-setup windows on whatever pc you write the image to). Unlike sysprep on windows xp (so I understand, never used it), the windows 7 version fully reinitialises the OS and fully redetects and installs all device drivers.

Our main image has been syspreped and reuploaded multiple times on different machines (and each time it was put on the domain by the fog client hostnamechanger module) so that we could load in drivers for all the different models we have and now we have one image for all 6 or 7 makes of computer we have in the school.

Things that may trip you up with fog adding your machines to the domain instead of xp sysprep:

- The password on the AD settings page in fog MUST be encrypted with the fogcrypt program available in the fog download file.
    - If you specify an OU to put the computer in the client will fail to add the computer to the domain if a computer object for that computer exists in a different OU (its fine that one exists in the OU you specify or you don't specify one). If you dont specify one it just bungs it in the Computers OU if it doesn't exist anywhere else.

As I said before, you MUST sysprep windows 7 before rolling it out else the computers wont go on the domain and will generally explode in your face

You will need the Windows System Image Manager form the Windows Automatic Installation Kit to make an unattended xml file for sysprep similar to this one:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Security-SPP-UX" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <SkipAutoActivation>true</SkipAutoActivation>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <CopyProfile>false</CopyProfile>
                <ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>
                <TimeZone>GMT Standard Time</TimeZone>
                <ComputerName>*</ComputerName>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <RunSynchronous>
                    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>1</Order>
                        <Path>net user administrator /active:yes</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                    <RunSynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>2</Order>
                        <Path>reg add &quot;HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Signatures\FirstNetwork&quot; /v Category /t REG_DWORD /d 00000000 /f</Path>
                    </RunSynchronousCommand>
                </RunSynchronous>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="oobeSystem">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <InputLocale>en-uk</InputLocale>
                <SystemLocale>en-uk</SystemLocale>
                <UILanguage>en-uk</UILanguage>
                <UILanguageFallback>en-uk</UILanguageFallback>
                <UserLocale>en-uk</UserLocale>
            </component>
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <FirstLogonCommands>
                    <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>1</Order>
                        <RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
                        <CommandLine>cscript //b c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk 33PXH-7Y6KF-2VJC9-XBBR8-HVTHH</CommandLine>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                    <SynchronousCommand wcm:action="add">
                        <Order>2</Order>
                        <CommandLine>cscript //b c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato</CommandLine>
                        <RequiresUserInput>false</RequiresUserInput>
                    </SynchronousCommand>
                </FirstLogonCommands>
                <OOBE>
                    <HideEULAPage>true</HideEULAPage>
                    <NetworkLocation>Work</NetworkLocation>
                    <ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
                </OOBE>
                <UserAccounts>
                    <AdministratorPassword>
                        <Value>####</Value>
                        <PlainText>true</PlainText>
                    </AdministratorPassword>
                    <LocalAccounts>
                        <LocalAccount wcm:action="add">
                            <Password>
                                <Value>####</Value>
                                <PlainText>true</PlainText>
                            </Password>
                            <DisplayName>TempAdmin</DisplayName>
                            <Group>Administrators</Group>
                            <Name>TempAdmin</Name>
                        </LocalAccount>
                    </LocalAccounts>
                </UserAccounts>
                <RegisteredOrganization>Avonbourne School</RegisteredOrganization>
                <RegisteredOwner>Avonbourne School</RegisteredOwner>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <settings pass="generalize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DoNotCleanUpNonPresentDevices>true</DoNotCleanUpNonPresentDevices>
                <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
            </component>
        </settings>
        <cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="wim:e:/sources/install.wim#Windows 7 ENTERPRISE" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
    </unattend>
    Some other oddities with Windows 7 sysprep are that it forces you to create an administrator user during the sys prep (details in the unattend file) and there is no way to get out of this, it simply wont work unless you do it. So to get rid of this and do whatever else you need after sysprep is finished you can put a file called SetupComplete.cmd in C:\Windows\setup\scripts (create it if it doesnt exist) and put commands in there that will be executed once sysprep finished to delete the unattended file (it contains passwords) and the extraneous admin user:

Code:
    del /q /f c:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml
    net user TempAdmin /delete
    You obviously also need to install and configure the fog client (only the hostnamechanger module is actually needed for AD integration).

All in all its a bit of a pain to set up but once its working its a breeze to work with.

Hope some of this helps, feel free to email me if you need more help.
    Last edited by ChrisMiles; 23rd March 2011 at 09:47 PM.

13. Thanks to ChrisMiles from:

speckytecky (26th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Bart21 - Hi Bart21, it seems to work ok thanks - but I haven't had a response to the last email I sent you:

"Out of interest, how many different images do you have on your Fog server? At the moment we have 40. Most of these are XP, so only small. But on our images we'd want to have Office 2010 and Adobe Web Premium CS3, both of which add quite a large chunk to the already large 6.5GB file. Times that by the number of machine types we have (I can't even tell you) we might end up with a very full server. Are you able to have just one default image and/or deploy drivers as snap ins do you know? Also, what image types do you use? For the test I've used 'Multiple Partition Image - Single Disk (Not resizable)' - but I know of a way to install windows 7 with just one partition, so should be able to use 'Single Partition (NTFS Only, Resizable)' which would be much better if hard drives get replaced etc. How have you got round this? Or have just just got a huge drive full of images "

Hi ChrisMile,

Thankyou for your response. I've tried creating a XML file following the steps 1 - 8 from http://www.ehow.com/how_5392616_sysprep-machine-start-finish-v2.html (I hope it's ok to link to other sites). I've followed the steps, but obviously has a few changes - en-gb instead of en-us, and I've missed off the:

"# FirstLogonCommands

SynchronousCommand[Order="1"]

CommandLine: cscript //b c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (windows 7 license key)
    Order 1
    RequiresUserInput: false

SynchronousCommand[Order="2"]
    CommandLine: cscript //b c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato
    Order 2
    RequiresUserInput: false"

...as our machines will just get picked up by KMS to apply a product key. Could you confirm that sounds about right? If not, would you mind going into a bit more detail on how you set up your XML file? With our XP Sysprep, our machines would deploy, restart and enter Windows Setup. All we had to do was enter domain admin username and password, then machine name and that would be it. We'd then need to log into the machine and restart it before it took group policy settings - but that's fine.

It would be much better for us to be able to capture from a machine that's already on our domain (like we did for XP) as I'm having problems installing and testing software before capture. You might be able to help me with the issue of having multiple images. You say you have 1 image for 6 or 7 machine types? How have you managed this please?

Thank you

GreyFox/James
    Last edited by GreyFox; 24th March 2011 at 11:10 AM.

Thank Post
    The Windows 7 Key in my file paste is a generic key which tells windows 7 to look for a KMS server, it is not specific to me. I suggest you include those commands to make sure that windows activates right away.

Access Windows 7 KMS Client Setup Keys - Softpedia

If your file looks like mine pretty much then it should work fine, just sysprep the machines by putting the unattend.xml file in c:\windows\system32\sysprep and run sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:unattend.xml from a command prompt in that folder. Once the machine syspreps and shuts off queue up an upload job on fog and there you have it.

To make your image work on different types of computers firstly you need to make sure the follow sections are in your xml file:

Code:
        <settings pass="generalize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <DoNotCleanUpNonPresentDevices>true</DoNotCleanUpNonPresentDevices>
                <PersistAllDeviceInstalls>true</PersistAllDeviceInstalls>
            </component>
        </settings>
    These sections in the file instruct windows to not remove devices and device drivers during sysprep. Once you have these lines all you need to do is one by one image you different models with your base image, install drivers, re-sysprep and re-upload. Then move on to the next model. By the time you've imaged and re-uploaded your image from one of each of your different models the windows 7 will have device information and drivers for everything you need.

This was not possible with windows xp because it didn't fully reinstall all the hardware and drivers during sysyprep.

Hope this helps.

All I can advise is to try your script out and see what happens, I didn't get mine right the first time. Maybe upload a non-syspreped image of your build before you start though because if sysprep fails for any reason it leaves windows in a completely broken state and you'll have to rebuild.
    Last edited by ChrisMiles; 24th March 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi again,

That's some great info, thanks. I've added the bit about the license key to to my xml file.
    I haven't added the part which allows the image to work of different machines yet - one step at a time.
    On this subject, I may have hit another snag. How have you managed to use a single image for all machine types/different hard drive sizes? Win7 has 2 partitions, so surely on Fog you'd need to use 'Multiple Partition Image - Single Disk (Not Resizable)'. Which would cause us problems here, as some machine's drives are 40GB, others as big as 160GB. After trying the single partition trick with Windows 7, then choosing to upload a 'Single Partition (NTFS Only, Resizable) ...I've managed to break my test machine. So I'm starting again with a normal Windows 7, no faffing, 2 partition set up. Probably linked with this, what have you got as the 'Host OS' when you edit a host on FOG?. I'd assume Windows 7.

Thank you

GreyFox

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast