+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Fog and windows 7 in Technical; Hi again ChrisMiles, I've managed to get a working deployment going thanks to your help with the xml and elsewhere. ...

Thank Post
    Hi again ChrisMiles,

I've managed to get a working deployment going thanks to your help with the xml and elsewhere. However, I am having issues deploying to another machine type in order to capture all the drivers. I believe it's due to the hard drive being smaller. Could you tell me how you've got round this please? - my previous post

"On this subject, I may have hit another snag. How have you managed to use a single image for all machine types/different hard drive sizes? Win7 has 2 partitions, so surely on Fog you'd need to use 'Multiple Partition Image - Single Disk (Not Resizable)'. Which would cause us problems here, as some machine's drives are 40GB, others as big as 160GB. After trying the single partition trick with Windows 7, then choosing to upload a 'Single Partition (NTFS Only, Resizable) ...I've managed to break my test machine. So I'm starting again with a normal Windows 7, no faffing, 2 partition set up. Probably linked with this, what have you got as the 'Host OS' when you edit a host on FOG?. I'd assume Windows 7."

Thank you.

So far so good!

GreyFox

Thank Post
    Hey again GreyFox, glad you got something working. If you are having problems deploying your image to a smaller disk (and assuming that your disk is actually big enough for the data ) it sounds like you are using an image of type Single Disk (Not Resizable), is this correct? For a Windows 7 build with 2 partitions (the little one and the main one) it is safe to use Single Partition (Resizable). Assuming you set the computers OS to Windows 7 FOG will handle the extra partition automatically.

Thank Post

...that is quite literally what my face is doing now.

I'll be sure to test this tomorrow morning! I've got an issue with one of our machine types not deploying or uploading with the new kernel as well, but luckily I made a backup of tftp folder from FOG 0.29 - and that seemed to work, apart from the 'Can't have partition out of the disc' error. Excellent news on the resizable disk - although I thought I'd tried this and failed in the past? Could be that I was trying to be clever and removed the small partition, then FOG got confused looking for a second.

I'll post back tomorrow.

Thanks again!

GreyFox

Thank Post
    I've found 0.30 to be buggy as hell with our computers, I'll have to rebuild the box with 0.29 again before the next time we re-image.

Thank Post
    Hmm, I'd be tempted to do the same. That didn't work.

##########################
    # An error has been detected! #

Resize test failed!
    ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
    Device name :/dev/sbd2
    NTFS volume version 3.1
    Cluster size 4096 bytes
    Current volume size: 314569216 bytes (315MB)
    Current device size: 314572000 bytes (315MB)
    Volume size: 465883648 bytes (466MB)
    ERROR: New size can't be bigger than the device size.
    If you want to enlarge NTFS then first enlarge the devicesize by e.g fdisk.

############################
    # Computer will reboot in 1 minute #

Any clues on that one?

Thanks

GreyFox

Thank Post
    # An error has been detected! #

Resize test failed!
    ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
    Device name :/dev/sbd2
    NTFS volume version 3.1
    Cluster size 4096 bytes
    Current volume size: 314569216 bytes (315MB) <--- Current size of partition on disk?
    Current device size: 314572000 bytes (315MB) <--- Current size of disk?
    Volume size: 465883648 bytes (466MB) <--- Size of image partition to write?
    ERROR: New size can't be bigger than the device size.
    If you want to enlarge NTFS then first enlarge the devicesize by e.g fdisk.

# Computer will reboot in 1 minute #

It looks like you are trying to write a 466MB partion image to a 315MB disk to me. FOG can expand partitions to fill a disk but it cannot shrink them to fit.
    When you upload a single partition image to fog it first resizes the partition to the smallest size it can to help accommodate smaller disks, however, because of things like MFT data and file fragmentation it will never be able to reduce the partition to a number very close to the amount of actual data on the disk. You can try aggressively defragmenting the disk (get all the data moved to contiguous blocks at the start of the disk, you'll need something other than windows defrag for this) on the original machine but NTFS usually allocates MFT data around the middle of the disk and this can't be moved when windows is running.

Are we still talking windows 7 here because 466mb seems way too small for even a blank windows 7 install anyway?

Thank Post
    I don't know how feasible it is but if it's not too much of a pain I'd suggest rebuilding your image on the machine with the smallest hard disk you have, should fix this issue. Otherwise you could try and use something like ghost to move the image to the smaller disk after you've syspreped it of course, and then upload another image from that machine.

Thank Post
    So can you use the single parttion (resizeable) with windows 7? i swear i tried that before and it didn't work, or does it now work with a new version of FOG. we are running 0.27 if that makes any difference.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by marlwoodadmin View Post
    So can you use the single parttion (resizeable) with windows 7? i swear i tried that before and it didn't work, or does it now work with a new version of FOG. we are running 0.27 if that makes any difference.
    It definitely works as long as the host configuration is set to Windows 7, however, I have only used this on 0.29 and 0.30. I'd recommend upgrading to 0.29.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    - If you specify an OU to put the computer in the client will fail to add the computer to the domain if a computer object for that computer exists in a different OU (its fine that one exists in the OU you specify or you don't specify one). If you dont specify one it just bungs it in the Computers OU if it doesn't exist anywhere else.
    I submitted a fix for this to the FOG site:
    Fix for 2224 Error when joining Domain

This involves modifying the hostnamechanger.dll file. This is the same file you modify with your password encryption key, full instructions or how to edit this are on the FOG wiki.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    It definitely works as long as the host configuration is set to Windows 7, however, I have only used this on 0.29 and 0.30. I'd recommend upgrading to 0.29.
    Hi again Chris,

Well I've been trying this and I just can't get it to work. Keep getting:

'Windows Failed to start. A Recent hardware or software change might be the
    cause. To fix the problem:

1: Insert your Windows disc ...blah blah
    2: blah
    3:blah

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer
    manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is
    inaccessible.'

Which I believe is the reason I gave up trying to use FOG for our deployment. Any ideas?

There is another topic open, and unsolved here;
    Fog windows 7 and ntfs resizable

Thank you

Grey Fox

Thank Post
    You are syspreping every time arn't you? It needs to be done on each machine, not just at the end. If so, does windows 7 install manually ok on the target machine? The only problem with this way of making images is that there is no opportunity to add disk controller drivers (ie F6 during install), and instead relies on windows having drivers available.

Thank Post
    I believe that's one of the points I missed!
    Sorry about the late response. My Fog Install decided to die - GUI was show white background, no graphics. Tried to install over the top, didn't fix, so uninstalled, then reinstalled and had issues with mysql password access etc. So ended up changing the hard drive, sticking Linux Mint 10 "Julia" on there (which is very nice!) and reinstalling Fog. We're all back and running now, plus download the older kernel so my machines actually work.

Still got problems where my sysprep setup will work, captured, can deploy fine. Then update the image, all ready to go, run again, capture - sysprep fail! Thought it could be the fact I join the domain in order to install and setup one program. But just tried joining domain, restarted a few times then sysprepped and it worked!

I have no idea now why it's failing. Fog seems to be ok now though. Need to try and remember what settings worked for the domain join though.

Thank Post
    Sysprep can fail to re-run if windows is not correctly activated each time before it is run. This is because windows only allows a maximum of 3 syspreps on an un activated copy of windows to prevent you using sysprep to bypass the grace period. Make sure your image is activating against KMS before attempting to re-sysprep.

Thank Post
    Hi again, it's been a while!

We were having issues with our KMS host, so machines weren't automatically being activated. Turns out that it's still installed on 3 other machines (long story), so was getting confused. I have removed KMS from at least one of these, and removed all 3 from DNS, although it appears to keep coming back on. Will have to have another look at that.

Anyway, we now have an image with drivers captured from several machines now! Thank you very much.

However I'm still having issues adding a new machine to the domain - I don't know why. I've had loads of problems the past few weeks, 2 of these being Fog Server dying, then KMS issue. The next is that my machine and a my co-worker's have both stopped working, and can't speak to the domain. Ended up wiping and imaging with Fog - these both joined the domain absolutely fine - kept the name the same as when they were on XP. But most (I think all, but can't be sure) of the machines I've used for imaging have failed to join domain after sysprep. I think this is because they aren't already in the AD. This isn't an issue for the odd one or two machines, but when we come to replace a whole room, it could get interesting - plus it's not working quite how it should.

I think it's down to the name for domain and administrator etc. Although I know the password is correct, got xxx\administrator and domain netbios name in.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you so much for your time, we are moving forward slowly but surely.

kind regards

GreyFox

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast