+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Image a machine with multiple partitions in Technical; We are currently trying to set up an environment, which can be used for controlled assessment. We are preping a ...
    Thank Post

Image a machine with multiple partitions

We are currently trying to set up an environment, which can be used for controlled assessment. We are preping a machine which has two partitions, one for our main curriculum and another for the controlled environment (which we are considering putting on a separate domain for ease of admin).

The problem we are facing at the minute is how to image a machine with multiple partitions on. We normally use Symantec Ghost but I can only get it to detect one partition.

The requirements for the controlled environment are:

• The Internet will be required initially but not for later assessments
    • No Email
    • No Spell Checker
    • No grammer Checker
    • No access to any other documents in their area during the assessment (hence the separate domain)
    • No Media Player.

I think the new domain is a bit overkill but at the minute it is the only way I can think of doing it.

Can anyone help me with any better ideas on how to set it up and how to image a machine with multiple partitions.

Thanks
    nN

Thank Post
    When I want to maintain all the partitions on a machine - I just do a disk image rather than multiple partition images - never had a problem doing it that way but have had difficuluties on occaisions trying to use separate partition images .

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    When I want to maintain all the partitions on a machine - I just do a disk image rather than multiple partition images - never had a problem doing it that way but have had difficuluties on occaisions trying to use separate partition images .

regards

Simon
    I am trying to do a disk image using Symantec again at the moment. The machine is a HP DC7800 SFF. I am trying to place the image on an external USB hard drive but I can only see the C Drive and the Optical drive when it asks me where to save the image I cant even see the second partition.

I am going:

Local> Disk> To Image.

Thanks
    nN

Thank Post
    I've used Ghost (8) slipstreamed into UBCD4WIN to image 2-partition machines without problem, but it's C=Windows, D=Documents - don't know if that makes a difference. Seems to be able to Ghost just the "C" partition" OK - I just restored an image from it today without any issues and the "D" partition was left untouched.

If you're having troubles with Ghost, why not try one of the free options? Clonezilla is probably the easiest to just try out IMHO, but FOG has a lot of fans on here.

P.S. Ghost: Local>Disk>To Image will Ghost the whole disk. Try Local>Partition>To Image if you just want one partition (make the sizes significantly different to aid identification). If you're not seeing the external drive I think you may need to add drivers to your Ghost boot disk (or use the network or something like UBCD4WIN - if the latter, plug the drive in before booting up).

Thank Post
    The best cloning utility that I have used is clonezilla. We used it at my institution to clone an iMac with an HFS+ partition for OS X and an NTFS partition with Windows XP, this solution works wonderfully. Best of all it is free, http://clonezill.org I highly suggest this for mass deployments. There is even a server version for mass deployments, I have not had the opportunity to use it, but someday I would like to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I've used Ghost (8) slipstreamed into UBCD4WIN to image 2-partition machines without problem, but it's C=Windows, D=Documents - don't know if that makes a difference. Seems to be able to Ghost just the "C" partition" OK - I just restored an image from it today without any issues and the "D" partition was left untouched.

If you're having troubles with Ghost, why not try one of the free options? Clonezilla is probably the easiest to just try out IMHO, but FOG has a lot of fans on here.

P.S. Ghost: Local>Disk>To Image will Ghost the whole disk. Try Local>Partition>To Image if you just want one partition (make the sizes significantly different to aid identification). If you're not seeing the external drive I think you may need to add drivers to your Ghost boot disk (or use the network or something like UBCD4WIN - if the latter, plug the drive in before booting up).
    I have created a new Ghost Boot USB pen (Kingston 4GB) with USB support and it is still not detecting my drive onto which I want to image (Seagate 2TB)

I will look into the other options. I have looked into FOG in the past but struggled to get it going.

Thanks
    NN

Thank Post
    Definitely worth looking at Clonezilla. Download and burn the ISO, boot from it and it's all pretty self-explanatory. I'd suggest testing on a machine that you wouldn't miss/can re-image and a spare/empty storage drive first (assuming you have the time/bits). Some of the terminology may seem a bit different, so you'll dispense with the "have I made the right choices?" fear if you've got nothing to lose. Otherwise, there's plenty of people here who can point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

Mind you, UBCD4WIN is also a great tool (though a lot more effort to set up than Clonezilla).

Thank Post
    I have successfully managed to re-image a single machine using clonezilla. Can anyone provide any guidance please on how to set up Clonezilla Server for mass deployment. I was planning on using Ubuntu.

Thanks
    nN

Thank Post
    I think Fog is consided the software of choice for mass opensource type image deploments (basically uses clonezilla for the imaging side of things with a central web-based control panel)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I am trying FOG at the minute and while installing ubuntu I am following the FOG wiki but the Scope options> Configure options on my server 2003 DHCP server is greyed out. Is this because it is an active DHCP server? I was a bit dubious about de-activating it encase the clients, which are currently in use by students drop off the network.

The network is flat with one DHCP server allocating to two domains, hence my hesitation

Thank Post
    I used my main DHCP server and disabled the FOG one.

You do have to set some options on your server DNS/DHCP settings before deploying FOG.

FOGUserGuide - FOGProject Wiki

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    When I try and select the 'Configure options' I cant because it is Greyed out. Is this because it is an active DHCP scope?

Thank Post
    Rather than a new domain and using using different partitions, what about using a standalone terminal server with all of your restictions applied and then just connect into that with a PXE boot system like thinstation or use a web access gateway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by networkingNut View Post
    When I try and select the 'Configure options' I cant because it is Greyed out. Is this because it is an active DHCP scope?
    I'm sure when I set the DHCP options for FOG on a server 2003 system I didn't need to deactivate a scope or anything to put the changes in.

Thank Post
    I am having trouble removing windows media 9. I have removed it via add remove components but it still works via start>run>wmplayer. Is there a way to remove it completely. Endless hours spend on google have come to nothing. If I delete the files in the Windows media player folder they just keep re-appearing when I search for them again.

nN

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast