+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, new fog install not imaging in Technical; installed a new, up to date, fog server. ubuntu 10.10 with fog 0.29. imported the old database, moved the drive ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

new fog install not imaging

installed a new, up to date, fog server. ubuntu 10.10 with fog 0.29. imported the old database, moved the drive with the images, everything seems to be working splendidly

till I try to image something. it gets all the way to partimage, even starts going, but whatever machine I image it craps out around 120mb data copied. doesn't even give an error! just drops to the shell. same on the debug (without the auto-reboot)

any ideas?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    discovered, there's more info to be had by loading the gui version of partimage instead of the debug commandline as suggested by the fog wiki. added this to the fog wiki.
    Now we get a crc error when it stops....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by browolf View Post
    discovered, there's more info to be had by loading the gui version of partimage instead of the debug commandline as suggested by the fog wiki. added this to the fog wiki.
    Now we get a crc error when it stops....
    Try a different kernel, I've had this on certain laptops we have which don't like some of the newer kernels. I downloaded one of the older ones and told these particular laptops to use that and it solved the problems for me.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Yeah I use two kernels. I've found I had more success sticking with an old one from about two years ago, then if something didn't work make a per host exception to use the latest FOG supplied kernel instead. It might also be worth checking that you haven't got a 120mb of recovery or diagnostic partiton left on the drive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Try a different kernel, I've had this on certain laptops we have which don't like some of the newer kernels. I downloaded one of the older ones and told these particular laptops to use that and it solved the problems for me.

Mike.
    oh yeah now you mention it I recall those other kernels. however the image file on drive we moved appears to have mysteriously gotten corrupted, possibly they all have :-S, luckily there's a backup of them on a linkstation. seeing if that's the issue now.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    this is odd. copied a tested non corrupt image from the backup. tried to image with it and partimage had a crc error again. copied the file onto a windows workstation tested with 7zip and it's corrupted again. the drive with the images on is ext3 but ubuntu itself is ext4. don't know is that could be a problem...?

Thank Post
    CRC errors are to do with the network interface, so it may be worth checking out obvious things like the switch and network cables as there's every chance this issue might be nothing to do with Fog, but something else entirely. Not sure why it would corrupt the image thou, but I don't know an awful lot about the way FOG works in the background. Have you tried one of the older kernels just in case it makes a difference?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    doesn't really matter now, swapped the images drive for a different one and in doing so, the server has mysteriously died and doesn't boot at all now. There's always a lot of mysterious stuff happening with ubuntu these days....we could try newer kernels in the old server tho...

funny the images aren't broke in the old server...

my colleague reckons ubuntu can't handle mounting an ext3 drive as a folder on a ext4 drive.

update: abandoned making a new fog server. updated the kernel in the old one has given it a new lease of life with regard to newer machines.
    Last edited by browolf; 19th November 2010 at 10:57 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread