+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Software Updates in Technical; Right I have finally got SCCM to interact with WSUS , in that the updates now show in SCCM , ...

Thank Post

Software Updates

Right

I have finally got SCCM to interact with WSUS, in that the updates now show in SCCM, but now what do I do now to get them deploying to clients and via OSD

Also, how do I decline updates (eg the Browser Choice update..)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Haven't strictly used SCCM but I do use SCE which nicks bits of it. If the updates work the same way, then once they show up in SCCM then all you should need to do is right click and approve them to a computer group - or decline them if you don't want them.

The Browser Choice update is in its own category in WSUS, and won't synchronise unless you've elected to sync that product category in the updates settings.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Gatt (24th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks.. Got the updates to sync and I can see them in the container in SCCM,
    But when I try and create a deployment package, I get an error when I finish the wizard - Access Is Denied

Thank Post
    Ok got the Permissions error solved (needed FC for everyone on the updates share.
    Next problem - how the heck do I get the clients to obtain the updates?!

Thank Post
    Have you enabled the 'software updates client agent' ?
    We had originally set it via GPO but it magically detected that WSUS was on the SCCM box (im guessing through the sccm client) and the voodoo kicked in.

7. Thanks to jc1875 from:

Gatt (25th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Yeah i have - just testing it again as I forgot I had a GPO to point to the old WSUS Server!
    Just building the Update list for Client OS updates...

Thank Post
    This is something i need to address too...

Dont suppose u have both the old clients and the SCCM clients pointing to same WSUS server do ya?

Currently how we have it, and while i do have it so that it deploys updates [that i manually have to keep current each month] to a machine that is deployed by targeting a SCCM collection (where the OS advertisement is), i've not yet got around to sorting out the resulting machines that are deployed out there.

I'm intending to have the updates targeted to a collection that contains all the machine deployed so far and use maintainance windows for the task too - to help users not get randomly interupted etc.

Nath

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel View Post
    This is something i need to address too...

Dont suppose u have both the old clients and the SCCM clients pointing to same WSUS server do ya?
    Afraid not - the old WSUS is in the process of being decommissioned...
    Currently how we have it, and while i do have it so that it deploys updates [that i manually have to keep current each month] to a machine that is deployed by targeting a SCCM collection (where the OS advertisement is), i've not yet got around to sorting out the resulting machines that are deployed out there.

I'm intending to have the updates targeted to a collection that contains all the machine deployed so far and use maintainance windows for the task too - to help users not get randomly interupted etc.

Nath
    I have tried to organise my collections to reflect my AD structure, then tidied the default collections into a "Z_default" collection...
    Updates are, at the moment, split into 4 areas - server OS, client OS, office apps, server apps and targetted to server and workstation collections...

Gonna test the updates tomorrow on most of the PCs see how it takes - so far its taken to a few PCs that i've tested..

Got a few software titles I need to repackage (AppDeploy Repackager) now

Thank Post
    We've gone down the App-V for the latter (aka the Apps) and happily that sorta stuff isnt my problem really but seems to work well.

Dont think we are licensed under our MS EA for SCCM Server cals, only workstation as part of the enterprise workstation cals [cant remember the proper name for them offhand but they are kinda "one cal for each workstation machine that covers all sorts of stuff"], but yes, I'm kinda going on the same idea for keeping our desktops and laptops up to date.

Have you set maintainance periods too then?

Nath

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread