O/S Deployment Thread, OS Deployment help in Technical; Started looking at SCCM (2007 R3) to deploy our OS's but run into a few issues and wondering if anyone ...
20th October 2010, 07:46 PM #1
OS Deployment help
Started looking at SCCM (2007 R3) to deploy our OS's but run into a few issues and wondering if anyone can help me out
We are only using SCCM to rebuild a PC, if it wont go into Windows, then we use MDT 2010 (working fine BTW)
1) Unattend.xml - how do I create one and where do we put it - it seems to want it in a package?
2) Region Settings.. I can set the time zone to UK, but not the other locale's - can't find where to set these.. (prob linked to 1 above)
3) The Task Sequence runs fine and installs windows 7 as expected, and is finally installing the CCM Client.. but wont install office 2010.. don't really know why and cant find any logs...
4) in MDT you can install updates pre and post application install.. again cant figure out how to do this in SCCM..
5) should I just stick to MDT 2010...
20th October 2010, 10:18 PM #2
posted this in the other thread, but it is kind of off topic
Download details: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2010 Update 1
There's a lite touch step by step in there.
Basically create your task sequence in MDT and import into SCCM using MDT 2010 update1
i had a bit of hassle with the region settings too - but i was updating the wrong files....
Will dig them out
20th October 2010, 11:30 PM #3
3) So you have a Office2010setup that can be run via a commandline? You've created an Office2010 package? (and ticked the box to make the package available for boot images to install?) got the program for the cmdline? confirmed that its on distribution point? and added this to the task sequence? you're looking for the smstslog this can be indifferent areas depending on what stage of the build it is at (Log Files for Operating System Deployment)
Originally Posted by Gatt
4) SCCM you need WSUS integration. download updates, Create a software package, distro point, deploy with mandatory settings. Then in part of SCCM task sequence theres an 'install software updates' check.
Thanks to Theblacksheep from:
21st October 2010, 07:05 AM #4
Ooh... an elusive check box! How I love elusive check boxes..... now to find it.. Is it the multicast one?
Originally Posted by Theblacksheep
Hmm... Ok WSUS is currently being handled by System Center Essentials - may need to swap it to SCCM then...
you need WSUS
integration. download updates, Create a software package, distro point, deploy with mandatory settings. Then in part of SCCM
task sequence theres an 'install software updates' check.
21st October 2010, 08:55 AM #5
The exclusive checkbox is in the 'programs' part of the package. Advanced section: "allow this program to be installed from the install software task sequence without being advertised". In the previous 'environment' section "allow users to interact" musnt be ticked either.
Originally Posted by Gatt
21st October 2010, 09:17 AM #6
Ah - I had that ticket
Right - OS Deployment.. take 29.....
21st October 2010, 10:01 AM #7
WooHoo! Client installed and now installing Office 2010 - fingers crossed
Now to sort out this unattend file and regional settings nonsence....
Last thing will be WSUS...
21st October 2010, 10:31 AM #8
You dont NEED an unattend.xml with SCCM. The settings can be done through standard task sequence settings, it automatically generates one for generic uses.
Originally Posted by Gatt
21st October 2010, 10:46 AM #9
Not found any reference to setting the Region and Location settings in SCCM TS anywhere - there is one for the Time Zone but thats all I hve found
Searching on google has revealed a few sites saying to create an unattend with the locale settings in it and apply it to the TS..
21st October 2010, 11:07 AM #10
21st October 2010, 01:52 PM #11
From my custom settings.xml file (from the task sequence for deployin target image)
I changed both areas at the same time and it worked, so didn't go back and check to see if they were both needed.
from settings pass="windowsPE"
and from settings pass="oobeSystem"
21st October 2010, 02:11 PM #12
Thanks, found some similar info and trying it now..
21st October 2010, 03:05 PM #13
It worked! another item off the list.
Just 2 more major issues to resolve
Updates - Though need to get WSUS installed for this I think..
Post deployment - I have a sepcific collection for deployments only - what I want is when a clinet is successfuly deployed and the TS finished, for the PXE Advertisement to be cleared and for the client to be removed from the Deployment collection so that it doesnt get stuck in a redeployment loop...
Then its just a case of making different task sequences for each type of PC role (Pupil / Teacher / Office, etc)
By soveryapt in forum Office Software
Last Post: 12th August 2010, 01:32 PM
By Hightower in forum Coding
Last Post: 26th April 2010, 08:52 AM
By itgeek in forum O/S Deployment
Last Post: 14th April 2010, 10:04 AM
By Fatmas in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 28th September 2009, 02:56 PM
By edsa in forum How do you do....it?
Last Post: 28th June 2007, 09:02 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)