+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, OS Deployment help in Technical; Started looking at SCCM (2007 R3) to deploy our OS's but run into a few issues and wondering if anyone ...

Thank Post

OS Deployment help

Started looking at SCCM (2007 R3) to deploy our OS's but run into a few issues and wondering if anyone can help me out

We are only using SCCM to rebuild a PC, if it wont go into Windows, then we use MDT 2010 (working fine BTW)

anyway

1) Unattend.xml - how do I create one and where do we put it - it seems to want it in a package?

2) Region Settings.. I can set the time zone to UK, but not the other locale's - can't find where to set these.. (prob linked to 1 above)

3) The Task Sequence runs fine and installs windows 7 as expected, and is finally installing the CCM Client.. but wont install office 2010.. don't really know why and cant find any logs...

4) in MDT you can install updates pre and post application install.. again cant figure out how to do this in SCCM..

5) should I just stick to MDT 2010...

Thank Post
    posted this in the other thread, but it is kind of off topic
    Download details: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2010 Update 1
    There's a lite touch step by step in there.
    Basically create your task sequence in MDT and import into SCCM using MDT 2010 update1

i had a bit of hassle with the region settings too - but i was updating the wrong files....
    Will dig them out

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Started looking at SCCM (2007 R3) to deploy our OS's but run into a few issues and wondering if anyone can help me out

We are only using SCCM to rebuild a PC, if it wont go into Windows, then we use MDT 2010 (working fine BTW)

anyway

1) Unattend.xml - how do I create one and where do we put it - it seems to want it in a package?

2) Region Settings.. I can set the time zone to UK, but not the other locale's - can't find where to set these.. (prob linked to 1 above)

3) The Task Sequence runs fine and installs windows 7 as expected, and is finally installing the CCM Client.. but wont install office 2010.. don't really know why and cant find any logs...

4) in MDT you can install updates pre and post application install.. again cant figure out how to do this in SCCM..

5) should I just stick to MDT 2010...

3) So you have a Office2010setup that can be run via a commandline? You've created an Office2010 package? (and ticked the box to make the package available for boot images to install?) got the program for the cmdline? confirmed that its on distribution point? and added this to the task sequence? you're looking for the smstslog this can be indifferent areas depending on what stage of the build it is at (Log Files for Operating System Deployment)

4) SCCM you need WSUS integration. download updates, Create a software package, distro point, deploy with mandatory settings. Then in part of SCCM task sequence theres an 'install software updates' check.

4. Thanks to Theblacksheep from:

Gatt (21st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    3) So you have a Office2010setup that can be run via a commandline? You've created an Office2010 package? (and ticked the box to make the package available for boot images to install?) got the program for the cmdline? confirmed that its on distribution point? and added this to the task sequence? you're looking for the smstslog this can be indifferent areas depending on what stage of the build it is at (Log Files for Operating System Deployment)
    Ooh... an elusive check box! How I love elusive check boxes..... now to find it.. Is it the multicast one?
    4) SCCM you need WSUS integration. download updates, Create a software package, distro point, deploy with mandatory settings. Then in part of SCCM task sequence theres an 'install software updates' check.
    Hmm... Ok WSUS is currently being handled by System Center Essentials - may need to swap it to SCCM then...

Thank Post
    Ooh... an elusive check box! How I love elusive check boxes..... now to find it.. Is it the multicast one?

Hmm... Ok WSUS is currently being handled by System Center Essentials - may need to swap it to SCCM then...
    The exclusive checkbox is in the 'programs' part of the package. Advanced section: "allow this program to be installed from the install software task sequence without being advertised". In the previous 'environment' section "allow users to interact" musnt be ticked either.

Thank Post
    Ah - I had that ticket

Right - OS Deployment.. take 29.....

Thank Post
    WooHoo! Client installed and now installing Office 2010 - fingers crossed

Now to sort out this unattend file and regional settings nonsence....

Last thing will be WSUS...

Thank Post
    WooHoo! Client installed and now installing Office 2010 - fingers crossed

Now to sort out this unattend file and regional settings nonsence....

Last thing will be WSUS...
    You dont NEED an unattend.xml with SCCM. The settings can be done through standard task sequence settings, it automatically generates one for generic uses.

Thank Post
    Not found any reference to setting the Region and Location settings in SCCM TS anywhere - there is one for the Time Zone but thats all I hve found
    Searching on google has revealed a few sites saying to create an unattend with the locale settings in it and apply it to the TS..

Thank Post
    Not found any reference to setting the Region and Location settings in SCCM TS anywhere - there is one for the Time Zone but thats all I hve found
    Searching on google has revealed a few sites saying to create an unattend with the locale settings in it and apply it to the TS..

Give this a little read:

Customising Windows 7 deployments - part 1. - www.windows-noob.com

Thank Post
    From my custom settings.xml file (from the task sequence for deployin target image)
    I changed both areas at the same time and it worked, so didn't go back and check to see if they were both needed.

from settings pass="windowsPE"
    Code:

en-GB

0809:00000809
                en-GB
                en-GB
                en-GB

and from settings pass="oobeSystem"
    Code:

0809:00000809
                en-GB
                en-GB
                en-GB
                en-GB

13. Thanks to jc1875 from:

Gatt (21st October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks, found some similar info and trying it now..

Thank Post
    It worked! another item off the list.

Just 2 more major issues to resolve

Updates - Though need to get WSUS installed for this I think..

Post deployment - I have a sepcific collection for deployments only - what I want is when a clinet is successfuly deployed and the TS finished, for the PXE Advertisement to be cleared and for the client to be removed from the Deployment collection so that it doesnt get stuck in a redeployment loop...

Then its just a case of making different task sequences for each type of PC role (Pupil / Teacher / Office, etc)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread