+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT/WDS is doing my head in... in Technical; HELP! Background: Workstation OS: Vista Business SP2, soon to hopefully be 7. Imaging Solution Currently: Zenworks Current build method: Boot ...
    Thank Post

MDT/WDS is doing my head in...

HELP!

Background: Workstation OS: Vista Business SP2, soon to hopefully be 7.
    Imaging Solution Currently: Zenworks

Current build method: Boot Vista DVD with USB key holding a predefined (by ENGL contractor) Unattend.xml. Result is a 16gb initial "empty" Vista image with 2 users, Admin and Setup. ZToolkit folder on C:. Install Base apps on there, run prepclone, Zen wrapper runs sysprep equivalent.

This gives you a SMARTbuild. On boot, this then runs through stages 1-5 of ENGL "setup", joins to domain etc. Then we install all apps, re-prepclone it. Upload to Zen server.

This is then ready to deploy to all workstations.

The problem is, Zen is a bit old now. We'd like to move to WDS. I have a VM all set up with 2003, got WDS running, installed MDT2010U1 all fine. Now, can I get my head round it? No.

I tried just using WDS, installing Vista from DVD using the unattend.XML, then making a few tweaks, and sysprepping it - it broke. "Reinstall Windows". I've got lost in MDTs XML/config files, and I'm now so darn confused trying to replicate what Zen would do, that I don't know where to start!

I'd like to use MDT2010, with the machine DB to handle all the naming etc. Followed a basic guide, got that working. However, it wasn't the most intuitive thing ever..changing the rules back and forth etc fried my head.

Are there any absolute idiot guides to it out there? I feel like one!

Cheers..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would order yourself a copy of 'Deployment Fundamentals - Volume 1: Migrating to Windos 7 using MDT 2010 LiteTouch and WDS' by Johan Arwidmark and Mikael Nystrom.

Link: Amazon.com: Deployment Fundamentals: Deploying Windows clients using MDT 2010 Lite Touch (Volume 1) (9781451570038): Johan Arwidmark, Mikael Nyström: Books

I imported mine from Amazon when it first came out and it has been very good. I assume most of the techniques are the same for Vista and will serve you well for your jump to Windows 7

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Highly agree with the boot Gareth recommends I have a copy and it was great and made my WDS & MDT implementation so simple and quick and I love it now

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    How about a play with FOG rather then WDS? can be tricky to setup but is well worth it once its installed

Thank Post
    WDS is being "pushed" by our parent academy...

I went back to basics with another guide yesterday, ignored MDT2010, started again with WDS/WSIM. Created the unattend.xml and WDSunattend.XML, and have now succeeded in getting a base vista image to install, set the various bits, create the 2 user accounts for local admin etc, and now I have a VM base sitting at a "ground zero" state with no apps, that I could join to the domain as a flat system.

So I've now got a replicated basic ZenWorks equivalent, using some of the data from the original Zen XML files (proprietary, but based on WDS by the looks of it..)

Now..on a "normal" flat base, I'd install the apps (office, curriculum bits etc), run them up as admin, acknowledge what needs acknowledging, tweak any bits, then hit it with prepclone, upload it back to Zen, and deploy to workstations.

How do I go about that in WDS? Install apps etc, run sysprep, boot capture image and pull it back? Since I'd like the admin profile to become default for all users, I'm guessing I'd need at least an XML file with sysprep to specify the <copyprofile> tab and do that, but then I'd also like it to join the domain on the deploy, with a PC name set by MDTs database bit..which is where again I get a tiny bit fried.

I'll have to have a scout for that book!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    If you were using MDT2010, you'd deploy your reference os installation make your tweaks, connect via unc/map to mdt server run litetouch and choose to capture the pc you've just setup.

Ben

Thank Post
    I've ordered the book now - £26 from "the book depository" IIRC, free delivery....hopefully here next week! It's plain and simple doing my swede. Too much to do, too much to learn, not got the quiet time here to do it and home isn't an option with a bouncy baby girl now. I'm tired, and frankly there are certain parts of my 4 pages of responsibilities in this place I could merrily wash my hands of right now.

However, breathe....Can't be that much worse than Zenworks, which really is starting to creak...and at some point it'd be nice to push out 7 instead of Vistargh, which is another Zen limitation.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread