+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG - Hostname Issue in Technical; Hi All, Having set up my first ever Fog server last week, I've managed to completely confuse myself on the ...
    Thank Post

FOG - Hostname Issue

Hi All,

Having set up my first ever Fog server last week, I've managed to completely confuse myself on the subject of Hostnames. I uploaded my first image from a computer named B11-IWB. The image uploaded successfully, so I got hold the next machine of the same type to build. I booted into fog ,performed the Full Host Registration & Inventory, entered the Hostname as "SPARE-IWB-01". Filled out all the other applicable options, went into the fog web interface and set it to deploy the image to the new machine (which shows up in the host list as "SPARE-IWB-01").

Once it had successfully deployed, I boot it up and it all works fine - except its called B11-IWB. Why??? Ive told it what to call itself, it has a hostname, why would it name itself based on the original image? Is this something I've done wrong in taking the image, or does fog just do this regardless?

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance!!!

Thank Post
    Did you run sysprep prior to uploading the image?
    You also need to have windows support tools installed before uploading the image.

3. Thanks to bladedanny from:

Tyiell (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the fast reply!

I had assumed the support tools were on there - I had run all the updates and it was XP SP3. I'll double check when it reboots.

I haven't used sysprep before, I'll give it a go. Do I run that on the host before I upload it as an image to FOG?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Yes you need to run sysprep imediatly before uploading the image. To make life easier run the setup manager tool. Here you can define a licence key and a few other settings, maily auto generate a computer name as FOG doesn't actually rename the computer until after all the initial setup. It may also be worth reading the FOG wiki on renaming and joining to AD as you have to compile a new hostname changer dll file (it's not too hard) then put this into the FOG service folder on the computer before imaging. Once all setup it will save you loads of time.

Thank Post
    Look in the file c:\fog.log and it will tell you what the problem is. Fog changes the host name after imaging, I have my sysprep file set to make up a random name initially which is changed by FOG on its first startup. The only file you actually need from the supoort tools is the NETDOM untility.

The support tools for windows XP are a seperate installation, not included in any of the standard updates - available from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 4th October 2010 at 09:51 AM.

7. Thanks to maniac from:

Tyiell (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Look in the file c:\fog.log and it will tell you what the problem is. Fog changes the host name after imaging, I have my sysprep file set to make up a random name initially which is changed by FOG on its first startup. The only file you actually need from the supoort tools is the NETDOM untility.

The support tools for windows XP are a seperate installation, not included in any of the standard updates - available from here Download details: Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools

Mike.
    I don't seem to have a C:\fog.log file. I'm just doing another image now, this one has the support tools on it. I take it I need to run the sysprep on the client before I upload the image?

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how it goes!

Thank Post
    Have you installed the fog service? It's strange that you don't have a fog log file if you have.

Thank Post
    If you don't have a c:\fog.log file, you probably haven't got the fogservice installed on your machines.

The fog client is available from your fog server by visiting

http://[[servername]]/fog/client/

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bladedanny View Post
    Have you installed the fog service? It's strange that you don't have a fog log file if you have.
    Erm. Fog service? Didn't know there was one - do you need to install this on the windows host that before you upload it? This could definitely be where I'm going wrong!!!

Thank Post
    Yes you must, when you install it you input the address of the fog server and this little service then communicates with the fog server every few minutes and checks if there's any tasks for that client, be it renaming, adding to domain, installing printers etc. It's the Fog Service which actually does all the work and without it your clients will not be communicating with the fog server which means they'll do absolutely nothing after imaging.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    Erm. Fog service? Didn't know there was one - do you need to install this on the windows host that before you upload it? This could definitely be where I'm going wrong!!!
    Yes as maniac said the service can be found under http://servername/fog/client. Install this on the host, enter your fogserver's IP address and make sure all options are selected (if you want to disable any do so on the FOG console).

Thank Post
    Thanks for your advice guys, I got called away from it this afternoon, but I'll get to play with it tomorrow - I'll let you know how I wind up breaking it!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread