+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Laptop won't image in Technical; Currently have 3 laptops im attempting to image, 2 are fine but one is being a pain in the bumchunk! ...
    Thank Post

Laptop won't image

Currently have 3 laptops im attempting to image, 2 are fine but one is being a pain in the bumchunk!

The one being a pain gets to the point of selecting which drive to image and no drive appears....if i then click advanced and refresh the drive appears but with a message down the bottom of "Windows cannot be installed on to disk 0 partition 1" .. Clicking see more information gives me this: "The computers hardware may not support booting to this disk" which isn't true for a start!

The bios has barely any settings at all, what it does give me though i've tried going through and trying different configurations for but nothings giving me anything different.

Anyone have an experience of this issue and know how to get around it? It will work if i try installing it from the windows 7 DVD but i don't want to do that for obvious reasons!

Thank Post
    Hi mrbios,

What it might be is Drivers that are in the image, How are you trying to Image are you using Ghost or is it a network toolkit like ENGL or are you using Acronis ?

Mostly I'd try and boot into something like BartPE and try to find out what type of drive it is - maybe it's Sata or Sata ll. It's more than likely a driver problem tbh, if it isn't then try to format the drive from BartPE then try to re-image it after it's formatted.

We have a specific App in our college that clears the partitions of the drive beofre imageing starts, otherwise sometimes we get silly errors like "THis drive is bootable and cannot be imaged" but all is well after all partitions are cleared.

If you are booting from Ghost, you may need to make another disk in which to add the drivers, you'll have to download them and then add them through the bootdisk wizard.

hope this is of some use.

Thank Post
    I'm using microsoft windows deployment services to deply the windows 7 image, it's a SATAII drive and i've plugged it into my PC wiped all the partitions and started from fresh last night but it still didn't work.

Previously my images have been pretty much one touch setup but in order to try and resolve this i've had to remove the "wdsclientunattend.xml" (which works fine on 99% of machines) so i could see the partition setup options, when i get to the partition setup screen no drives appear, if i wait a few seconds and then refresh the drive appears. So it seems as though it's not initializing quick enough for it to install, except when it does finally appear i get the message i put in the OP.

Tried AHCI on and off, changing the boot order, a few processor options on and off, but like i say don't really have many bios options to play with on this laptop, might flash the bios though and see if that helps.

Thank Post
    [quote]Currently have 3 laptops im attempting to image, 2 are fine but one is being a pain in the bumchunk!/[quote]

Are they all the same model? Are they new i.e. not been imaged before?

If not the same model, then you probably need to add the drivers for your storage chipset into your boot image for WDS

The Windows 7 DVD boot img and the WDS boot images arent the same thing you see. The "Complete Guide to" sticky thread on board might help with that. I use SCCM (that uses WDS) so the method I have to use is a touch different but the same in principal (boot images and install images are seperate).

Hope that helps
    Nath.

5. Thanks to tarquel from:

mrbios (4th October 2010)

Thank Post
    Interesting, ive only ever had to add NIC drivers before, never even realised it required unique storage drivers, i'll give that a go, cheers tarquel

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread