+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Lenovo T60 image issues in Technical; I'm having difficulty sending an image to a T60. I'm using Acronis Snap deploy this takes quite some time to ...
    Thank Post

Lenovo T60 image issues

I'm having difficulty sending an image to a T60. I'm using Acronis Snap deploy this takes quite some time to deploy, goes through all the right motions, but then errors out. Unable to change partition due to bad blocks. When I restart the T60 I get the Blancco info screen. Putting in a Win 7 CD to boot from and looking at the drive details shows two partitions containing data. I've run the repair option from the Win 7 disc but still no joy.

From initial pleasure at the machine, I've put all the soft ware onto one of them to take the master image, I'm now starting to wonder. Anyone got any hints or tips? Am I doing something wrong or are IBM machines somehow different from other laptops?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Sorry, but I have the same problem with my beloved T60s that I got from ICT Direct. I am quite relieved, in a way, to see that someone else has it too.
    John Graham tried his best to help - he had a few ideas (no I cant remember what they were) but ultimately I couldnt get them to image.
    Mine are XP and I use Ghost so it would seem to be a laptop issue rather than anything to do with the tools or operating system?

Thank Post
    Thanks Witch, like you I am relieved somewhat that it's not me doing something wrong. However, if John can't help then where does that leave us? I have 22 to do and the head is getting anxious as we are a week into term and the pupils have no computers. (Summer DC disasters coupled with contractors means I'm way behind schedule.) I don't really fancy having to install all the software on each individual machine. Think I might just image the desktops (26 of those) first whilst a solution is found for the laptops. Trawl of the IBM support forums for me this evening maybe.

Thank Post
    OK here's what I've done:
    Booted the T60 from a Win 7 installation disc. Deleted both partitions and installed OS. Laptop now boots. Tomorrow I will try to deploy the image, but only the Primary partition not the system one. If that works, it's a long way round, but it would be a way forward. Fingers, toes and eyes crossed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You should be able to delete (all) partitions from whatever imaging software you use. Have you tried WDS or FOG yet?

Thank Post
    It's not the deployment software that's causing the no boot. Reading the forums, Acronis and Lenovo amongst others, the T60s have issues with cloning of any sort. The image deploys but the machine won't boot, which means that the rest of the Acronis instructions, new SID, name, etc, does not get carried out. Also right at this moment I do not have space in my brain for learning anything else, my journey this summer has been tough enough, I know how to use Acronis.
    Last edited by leco; 9th September 2010 at 08:03 AM.

Thank Post
    I hope it works - let me know
    I am not in such a state as you as most of our software is run off the server but I agree, it is a huge pain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ric has T60s at his school. Give him a bell.

*shouts* RIC!!!!

Thank Post
    We have T60's imaged XP with Ghost and we just used WDS for 7. No problems so far for us.

Thank Post
    My T60s are always fine... I've used RIS, FOG and now SCCM to deploy them. I do remember having a problem with FOG where I had to reset the MBR the first time they were imaged but it wasn't too bad.

I think that the issue you're experiencing lies with the Blanco software completely wiping all the data (including the MBR). If you create a single new partition with diskpart (boot of a Windows Vista/7 setup disc), can you then deploy to them?

Thank Post
    This makes no sense - why would some of us have problems and not others? As I said, I use Ghost and the laptops are XP and have problems, and yet TronXP, using the same, doesnt?

Thank Post
    Well my plan B hasn't worked Failed "Unable to resize partition with bad blocks". I know the laptop does not have any bad blocks as I checked that last night. Laptops going on a shelf for now, taking too much time, on to desktops which deploy fine.

As you say Witch it makes no sense. If someone comes up with a solution please let us know - oh and the rest of the T60 owning and wanting to re-image people.

Thank Post
    It may be to do with the hidden partitions on the drives. I think we deleted all the service\hidden partitions and everything from our T60's. Then create one new partition.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    .... Deleted both partitions and installed OS.
    leco already deleted the partitions - or was one missed?

Thank Post
    The partitions that I deleted were the ones from the deployment - those shown in Advanced set up on the Win 7 installation CD setup (if that makes sense). When I get time I'll install from the CD again and check the partitions again. Even hidden ones should show in Disk management - shouldn't they? It'll bug me now until I find a solution.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast