+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT 2010 taking a long time to boot up in Technical; When I PXE boot a machine to begin using MDT 2010, it takes an awful long time to show the ...

Thank Post

MDT 2010 taking a long time to boot up

When I PXE boot a machine to begin using MDT 2010, it takes an awful long time to show the welcoming screen.

Currently it'll show the banner of 'solution accelerators' at the bottom but nothing else will appear until 5 or so minutes has lapsed.

Any ideas how I can speed this up?

I am using Windows 2003 Enterprise Ed to deploy Win 7 Pro.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would the machines you are booting on happen to have AMD CPUs in them, there are some chipsets that go along with AMD chips that cause massive slowdowns in the Windows PE environment used by both MDT and Windows Vista/7 setup. I think that it is a bad driver getting stuck in a wait state but have never been able to resolve it. Once it actually gets past this and manages to install Windows it all runs fine though (at least in our setups).

I have seen this on multiple platforms all with AMD CPUs, I think that it is Microsoft's prefference for Intel rearing up again personally as I have never had this issue with the Intel platforms. Sometimes a BIOS upgrade can completely cure it but other times it just makes the slowdown worse. I would probably just leave it for now as if it is the same issue we experience then it only effects the initial imaging/install process and the installed version of Windows runs without a hitch.

Thank Post
    Yeah, it only effects the initial imaging/install stage which I don't understand why.

All the workstations are Intel based running Pentium D @ 2.8 GHz, with 2GB RAM.

When you've got dozens and dozens of workstations to rebuild, the waiting time all adds up to be hours! E.g. 10 workstations x 5 mins = 50 mins. :|

What OS is your server? I'm contemplating a move to 2008/R2

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't metter about the server side as it is a local hangup of a driver or service or something on the client, I have had it behave the same when served from 2003, 2008 or 2008 R2 in both MDT 2007 and 2010.

I usually start them booting to the network then wander off and start a bunch more at the same time even if they are in different rooms, that way it only wastes a little extra time and walking. You could try a BIOS upgrade on one and see if that speeds it up any. Its the first time I have heard of it on an intel platform though, have you tried booting to the depoyment environment on any other systems to see if they are faster, I have never had any issues with hp laptops (Centreno or higher) with this issue. If you can get another machine booting quicker then you can confirm the hardware as the cause rather than a bad driver in your deployment share.

Given where it is hanging up in the process it has got to be something inside the PE environment causing the slowdown. MDT 2010 has an option somewhere to build a clean image with only drivers and no scripts so you could also give that a go incase it is something to do with the scripting but that is very unlikely.

Thank Post
    We found that a number of older machines required BIOS upgrades before rolling out the upgrades. Another thing to point out is that we have a mixture of new CISCO kit and old HP ProCurve. We have noticed a significant difference between the two types when it comes to imaging. The CISCO can cope with multiple access to the deployment shares and multicasting, whereas the HP show fatigue after 10 or so machines are running.

Can the wait take 5 minutes even with one machine?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread