+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Desktop Deployment in Technical; Hi, I'm actually a qualified technician and theres some really interesting stuff on here. However, I have worked in serveral ...
    Thank Post

Desktop Deployment

Hi,

I'm actually a qualified technician and theres some really interesting stuff on here. However, I have worked in serveral locations and worked on RM and Vanilla networks. Recently, I've been to a local college that has a Novell Network.

This is what I found out and this is also what I would like advice on. I was on there network and noticed obviously they use the Novell Client for Windows logon promopt but also when you login a box appears with a status bar, once this has completed (takes but a minute) all the applications you need like Office, Draw Apps, and Internet Shortcuts are downloaded to the users area during logon from ZENWorks, but my question is, is there something similar to this that can be used on a Vanailla network without using and RM & Novell stuff is there some third party software that can do this ??

Something like this would be very handy I wreckon.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    WPKG can install applications onto workstations, so can Group Policy. (Not sure what this is like compared to Novell's System)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MSI deployment of applications through the software sectioon of Active Directory Group Policies allows for this. You just need to make sure you or the vendor packs them as MSI files.

Thank Post
    RM CC3 uses a script which will hide icons based on whether the program is installed or not.
    I'm just changing to using Group Policy Preferences to build the start menu on computer startup, you can also then update the start menu by running gpupdate. If you wanted to do it on a per user basis (so would initiate on the login) you can also do this with Group Policy Preferences but I think you would have to redirect the start menu to somewhere that a user can read/write.

Thank Post
    OK thanks for the replies I'm gonna have a play with my server at home (all VM) and see how I get on cheers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread