+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, WDS and ESXi in Technical; Short story, I've got an ESXi server setup, and can successfully boot WDS inside of a VM. Capturing and dumping ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question WDS and ESXi

Short story, I've got an ESXi server setup, and can successfully boot WDS inside of a VM. Capturing and dumping an image is not a problem. When I deploy a prebuilt XP image and reboot, it will come up, go through mini setup, and join the domain. It's when it reboots for the second time that it gives a BSOD complaining about an "Unmountable Boot Volume." I'm familiar with this error when creating images, as it is generally an indication that there isn't the correct south bridge drivers in the image for the hardware it is trying to boot on. The thing is, it booted once and successfully completed mini setup, why not a second? I don't get it.

This same image will deploy on physical hardware just fine. No configuration changes were made to the VM in between those boots either.

The VM is setup with a Bus Logic controller, Windows XP 32bit for the guest OS, and an e1000 NIC (Forced this since VM Flex drivers don't exist for PE).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as I'm all out of my own. Thanks guys...

Some more details to tickle the brain... The XP image I am trying to deploy, was built in a VM with the same hardware spec. If I capture it, and dump it into a new VM using Ghost32 11.0, it works great. But capturing and dumping from WDS causes the above problem. I'm going to go mad...
    Last edited by Duke5A; 19th July 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Additional details...

Thank Post
    I'm betting it's something to do with vmware-tools (it nearly always is). Does the vm have vmware-tools installed when you capture it? Try removing them before capturing.

Thank Post
    boot critical hard drive drivers.

2nd mini setup uses the actual OS.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I'm betting it's something to do with vmware-tools (it nearly always is). Does the vm have vmware-tools installed when you capture it? Try removing them before capturing.
    No it doesn't. The image is pretty bare as it is used as a base image for multiple departments and hardware specs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    boot critical hard drive drivers.

2nd mini setup uses the actual OS.
    Are you sure? I've created images where I've forgotten Intel SATA drivers before and it would BSOD on first boot. Besides, both VMs, the VM where the image was created, and the one that it is being dumped to, are using Bus Logic.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Figured it out, here is the low-down...

I'm used to the Ghost way of imaging, that is Ghost handles all the partition related tasks. WIM on the other hand, is strictly a file level method of imaging that relies on outside means of handling partitioning; in this case, it's WDS. To automate the process, I created an unattended.xml for my WDS server and specified for it to wipe the disk and recreate the partition. The WinXP Pro WIM would then be dumped onto the drive and it would reboot. Mini setup would start up, it would ask for name, join the domain, reboot once more, and then BSOD.

The problem was in my sysprep.inf. It makes since seeing as how it booted for the first time, and bombed out on the second boot. I had to remove the following lines from the XP sysprep.inf.

[Data]
    AutoPartition=1
    [Unattended]
    ExtendOemPartition=1
    FileSystem=ConvertNTFS
    Repartition=Yes

Presto, problem gone. Something with how WDS and Windows XP sysprep handles partitioning. Never was a problem when using Ghost.

So note to self, don't put partitioning options into sysprep when deploying XP with WDS.

Thanks guys.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread