+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, It works! in Technical; Your so lucky its working for you I keep hitting a brick wall. I got a few issues which hoping ...
    Thank Post
    Your so lucky its working for you I keep hitting a brick wall.

I got a few issues which hoping someone can help with

I don't know how I did it before but when we used MDT to create an XP image. I used imageX to capture a sysprepped xp image and then loaded this onto our WDS server. When I PXE booted a client to load this image I found it used the solution accellerators bootup process which I think is a customised MDT specific winpe process. When I have done the same with Windows 7, I dont get this option anymore but instead get the normal Windows 7 setup alongside a few options which make it talk to our WDS server. I give you an instance, when now I PXE boot any client computer the first screen I get is Windows deployment services screen which asks me for language and country details and then it lists all the images which are present on WDS. Can I change the settings so it shows the solution accellerators screens instead?

2) I have been using WISM with the help of lots of guides on the internet and have created an unattend script. This image where I used the unattend script is just Windows 7 enterprise with a few customisations and no additional applications installed. Still though I get asked country and keyboard layout, asks for local username, asks how i want to protect the computer with WIndows update and time and date settings. I think it is picking up the unattend script because it automatically joins the PC to the domain and gives it a name called ADMINISTRATOR. Is this setting being picked up from WDS rather than my script? Does anyone know how do I get it to pick up the unattend file I have created. I suspect its not picking the file up.

BTW I am using the latest version of MDT with WDS on a server 2008 R2 server.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    I don't know how I did it before but when we used MDT to create an XP image. I used imageX to capture a sysprepped xp image and then loaded this onto our WDS server. When I PXE booted a client to load this image I found it used the solution accellerators bootup process which I think is a customised MDT specific winpe process. When I have done the same with Windows 7, I dont get this option anymore but instead get the normal Windows 7 setup alongside a few options which make it talk to our WDS server. I give you an instance, when now I PXE boot any client computer the first screen I get is Windows deployment services screen which asks me for language and country details and then it lists all the images which are present on WDS. Can I change the settings so it shows the solution accellerators screens instead?
    What Boot Images do you have on the WDS Server? and have you assigned a default boot image?

have you configured a PC inside the Advanced Configuration/Database section of MDT? this would force a given MAC/GUID to use a sepcific set of options (under "Computers") or a specific Make & Model iof machines (eg Hewlett-Packard - HP Compaq dc7700 Small Form Factor)

2) I have been using WISM with the help of lots of guides on the internet and have created an unattend script. This image where I used the unattend script is just Windows 7 enterprise with a few customisations and no additional applications installed. Still though I get asked country and keyboard layout, asks for local username, asks how i want to protect the computer with WIndows update and time and date settings. I think it is picking up the unattend script because it automatically joins the PC to the domain and gives it a name called ADMINISTRATOR. Is this setting being picked up from WDS rather than my script? Does anyone know how do I get it to pick up the unattend file I have created. I suspect its not picking the file up.

BTW I am using the latest version of MDT with WDS on a server 2008 R2 server.
    As for the Windows 7 - this is normal for WDS images - you have not specified an unattend script, so the image automatiocally runs through "Mini Setup" - to stop this you need to create an ImageUnattend.xml file and attach it to the custom WIM image..

Thank Post
    Ok here is a list of all the apps that successfuly deploy via MDT without being prompted..

Quote Originally Posted by Wokring Apps
    Windows 7 (Duh!)
    Office 2010
    Viso 2010
    Project 2010
    Adobe AIR
    Expression Studio 3
    AutoRoute 2010
    McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.7i
    Google Earth
    Google Sketchup
    SIMS .net
    VLC Player
    Fireworks MX (via AutoIT)
    Password Control 2.4
    Custom MSI - Win7 Lgon Background, Bulletin Display Softwre, Poweroff, USBDLM
    Audacity
    QuickTime
    IS Decisions Userlock
    VMWare's VMPlayer 3
    Scratch 1.4 (custom MSI iirc)
    Smart Notebook & Drivers
    So far the following REFUSE to silently deploy..

Quote Originally Posted by Apps Not Working
    Real "Pain In the A**e" Player
    Sibelius 3
    Circuit Wizard
    Maths In Motions Cars V10
    Autograph
    Windows Live (Movie Maker & PhotoGallery)

Thank Post
    What Boot Images do you have on the WDS Server? and have you assigned a default boot image?
    Hi Yes I have copied a Windows 7 Enterprise DVD onto the WDS server and use the install and boot.wim files of the DVD and then created an unattend script and with the install image I have ticked the box which says allow image to install in unattend mode and pointed it to my imageunattend.xml file.

have you configured a PC inside the Advanced Configuration/Database section of MDT? this would force a given MAC/GUID to use a sepcific set of options (under "Computers") or a specific Make & Model iof machines (eg Hewlett-Packard - HP Compaq dc7700 Small Form Factor)

No I haven't done any filtering of any guide at the moment. Also the WDS server is not a SQL Server. My intention later once i have got a 'lite touch' working will be to look at SCCM2007 to do a 'zero touch' deployment but really need the lite touch working and getting used to the feature before I look at that. Thanks

As for the Windows 7 - this is normal for WDS images - you have not specified an unattend script, so the image automatiocally runs through "Mini Setup" - to stop this you need to create an ImageUnattend.xml file and attach it to the custom WIM image.

Thank Post
    Just starting to get to grips with MDT 2010 and deployed a few apps successfully to a Windows 7 64bit client, but can't seem to work out how to deploy Google Earth. What Quiet Install Command should I be using with the msi? Any help gratefully received.

Thank Post
    I usually use
    Code:
    msiexec /i  /qn
    However it varies with MSI files - some need more switches and options than others......

7. Thanks to Gatt from:

qehsmft (17th April 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12