+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT custom WDS image Installation issues in Technical; Has anyone managed to deply an image they have previously made in WDS through MDT ? Im getting an error ...
    Thank Post

MDT custom WDS image Installation issues

Has anyone managed to deply an image they have previously made in WDS through MDT?

Im getting an error saying unable to map drive.

I have followed various tweeks such as editing LTIAPPLY.wsf and the OperatingSYstems.xml to remove the extra "\" in the UNC path with no luck.

I can map the drive manually through the command prompt once the installation has failed but that is no use.

Any advice?

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have put precaptured WIMs that I did manually into MDT and they worked alright, are you able to simply import the os.wim file as stored on the WDS server into the MDT workbench. As long as the image is syspreped propperly and the wim has the ENTERPRISE flag set it should import fine. You can check for the flag by using "imagex /info os.wim".

Thank Post
    Yeah its a (kind of) thick image that I have created and sysprepped when I was just using WDS previous to setting up MDT on the server. It imports fine and the deployment share updates, Its just when I try and deploy the wim to a machine that it gives the above error.

I have tried a custom import and copied the OS source files too which began to work then said "setup cannot continue, cant find the required files".

I have got my hands on MDT 2010 update 1 beta which I am going to try as it apparently solves alot of issues.

When you say: "I have put precaptured WIMs that I did manually into MDT and they worked alright" what import options did you select?

Thanks for you reply.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I used the option to import a customized image that required the system files to be copied from an original W7 DVD. As the error is can't connect to network share have you checked that the network drivers are getting copied across from your driver share to the hard drive in the inject drivers stage before it hits the install phase, also are you using multicast or unicast (properties of the MDT share in workbench). I would enable multicast as it is way faster if doing multiple machines at once and will pull the whole image down before installing it while in the WinPE stage.

You could check the network adapter driver thing by using ipconfig /all in the command prompt after the failed install, you could also check the hard drive of the failed machine for logs to help isolate the problem. There may also be an issue with the username/password that it uses to connect to the deployment share at some point so attempting to map the drive manually with "net use z: \\server\deploy$" and entering in the username/password you are using "domain\username" form may also tell you a bit about it.

The extra slashes that you talk about may actually be needed as escape characters in the script itself so I'd put those back.

I'm not sure exactly how WDS customizes the image so it could be a WDS script in the main bit of the image generating the error but that does not seem likely.

Anyhow give some of things a go and hopefully one will work for you, I'd try multicast first as that could be the quickest fix.

Thank Post
    The extra \ is caused by an error in the LTIapply script on R2 Machines - removing the "\" from the xml file is a known fix apparently...

The network drivers are fine as i can ipconfig /all and map a drive accross to the REMINST share. Although it does say invalid password for user buildaccount.... but mapping it with domain\user then entering the password works fine.

I am going to give the multicasting Idea ago and see what happens.

Failing that I will slap on update 1 beta.

Ill keep you posted,

Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might be an idea to make sure that all places it is refferenced like the bootstrap.ini have the domain in it and entered correctly. Weird, the extra slash thing did not effect me on 2008 R2, must not occour in all instances or something.

Thank Post
    Just wanted to let you know that the problem is sorted now.

I ended up re creating my image and capturing it via the sysprep and capture task sequence. Seems to work a treat now.

I am wondering wether the image will be compatible accross multiple models like the previous generalized one... Never the less it is all work in progress.

Thanks for your all of your help.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread