+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
O/S Deployment Thread, [MDT 2010] Driver Inject: Control Freak method in Technical; Used MDT 2008 for a long time and now slowly playing with 2010 for Win7 etc. and thought "Hmm.. why ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    115

    [MDT 2010] Driver Inject: Control Freak method

    Used MDT 2008 for a long time and now slowly playing with 2010 for Win7 etc. and thought "Hmm.. why not play with DriverGroups while they're still there (have seen a suggestion or two the Update 1 might disappear them).

    So for an initial XPSP3 install I arranged a few by WinXPSP3\%make%\%model% and added a corresponding DriverGroup001 var in the task sequence and so far, unlike a driver selection profile that eventually trawls through the same (virtual in MDT) folder, it doesn't work.

    Has anyone used DriverGroups? Does it work? If so what did you do differently?

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    One of these days I'll post a question someone knows an answer to..

    Anyway ::screams:: fixed this, it was a sneaky typo in the OOTB drivers structure I'd made (arranged by OS\Make\Model). As a test I tried simplifying it to just OS\Model and that worked, so by-and-by I spotted the difference between what 'wmic csproduct get vendor' said the make was on the test machine and the name I'd typed into the OOTB driver structure.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    One of these days I'll post a question someone knows an answer to..

    Anyway ::screams:: fixed this, it was a sneaky typo in the OOTB drivers structure I'd made (arranged by OS\Make\Model). As a test I tried simplifying it to just OS\Model and that worked, so by-and-by I spotted the difference between what 'wmic csproduct get vendor' said the make was on the test machine and the name I'd typed into the OOTB driver structure.
    I know this thread is old, but have run into a similar situation.

    With my MDT 2010 setup, I had a SQL Express database setup to dynamically determine the make and model. Based on the make and model, my task sequence would inject specific drivers as well as specific applications. This worked really well until I noticed differences in the make and model information in the bios. I have HP EliteBook 8540p laptops. These machines were the same bios revision shipped on the same order from HP, but had differences in the model in the bios. Some of them were 'HP EliteBook 8540p' and some of them were 'HP EliteBook 8540p (VD446AV)'. Caused some of them to get the correct driver and applications, while others didn't.

    I ended up abandoning the 'single task sequence for all models' approach. I now just have a separate task sequence for each model we use, which ended up being about a dozen. A little more work when updating applications, but easier in the long run than dealing with multiple models in the bios.

  4. #4


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,699
    Thank Post
    219
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Rep Power
    775
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbird311 View Post
    These machines were the same bios revision shipped on the same order from HP, but had differences in the model in the bios. Some of them were 'HP EliteBook 8540p' and some of them were 'HP EliteBook 8540p (VD446AV)'. Caused some of them to get the correct driver and applications, while others didn't.
    You may want to look at using model aliases. This would enable you to go back to using a single task sequence for all models.

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymen...tallation.aspx
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/benhunter...l-aliases.aspx

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Surburbia
    Posts
    2,178
    Thank Post
    74
    Thanked 307 Times in 243 Posts
    Rep Power
    115
    but had differences in the model in the bios.
    Suspect everyone with anything besides Dells has had that problem.. there's a thread somewhere on here where I explained how I worked around it by directly editing ZTIGather.wsf (the script that get the make + model) - essentially just mapping wrong or tricky (e.g. with slashes in them) names to the name I want.

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,699
    Thank Post
    219
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,918 Posts
    Rep Power
    775
    I forgot about your post re: editing ZTIGather.wsf.

    My only concern with using this method is that you have to remember to edit the script again when Microsoft overwrites it with a newer version in a future MDT update.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [MDT] Anyone using MDT 2010?
    By sparkeh in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20th May 2011, 06:04 PM
  2. [MDT] Problem with MDT 2010
    By binky in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st April 2010, 10:26 PM
  3. [MDT] Deploying XP with MDT 2010
    By plexer in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25th January 2010, 04:23 PM
  4. [MDT] MDT 2010 - Some questions
    By Gatt in forum O/S Deployment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th November 2009, 10:10 PM
  5. MDT 2010 released
    By PiqueABoo in forum Windows Server 2008
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13th September 2009, 06:35 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •