+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Windows PE - Getting Network Access in Technical; Hi guys, We normally use RIS and GHOST (8.2) to image our laptops here but with newer laptops we find ...
    Thank Post

Windows PE - Getting Network Access

Hi guys,

We normally use RIS and GHOST (8.2) to image our laptops here but with newer laptops we find that more and more of them are having issues because DOS drivers aren't always available.

I've decided to test using Windows PE so we can use GHOST32.

I've set up the PE image and it boots fine from CD but GHOST can't connect to our GHOST CAST server because the PE image can't find the network or get an IP address. It just has the default 127.0.0.0.

Ultimately once I've got this sorted I want to deploy the PE image via RIS so there is no need for boot CDs but I want to make sure the image is working correctly before I move to that stage.

Does anyone know how to get the network card drivers added to the PE image and how to configure the image so it will get an IP address when it starts up.

Hope you can help and thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    easyest way i can think of is to use mdt.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    easyest way i can think of is to use mdt.
    Nah don't really want to go making any wholesale changes to our current setup.

All the tutorials state you just copy the drivers in but it's not working at the moment. Unless I'm using the wrong drivers...

Thank Post
    What drivers are you missing in your RIS booting woes?

I can possibly help you out.

I've added support for our Dell Latitude E6410 that have just come in for example

Nath.

Thank Post
    Toshiba Satelite Pro S500

If you're talking about the current method of using RIS to deploy a dos ghost image then the issue isn't with the driver this time but the fact that the Keyboard \ Mouse don't work within Ghost even though the KB works with DOS. Took the problem to Symantic who stated that it's not uncommon for newer laptops to not work within Ghost using the DOS Boot Disk and that we should be moving to Win PE instead and using Ghost32. I don't really want to discuss the old system though as I've spent ages searching for a solution, and nothing works.

So I've created the PE image. Ghost works fine, keyboard and mouse works fine however it's not getting an IP from the server and instead the IP in ghost comes up as 127.0.0.0 instead of one it's supposed to get from DHCP.

Thank Post
    This is the guide I'm using... if it helps.

How to build a Windows PE [Vista] CD/DVD that contains Ghost32.exe and then join a client machine to a Ghost Cast Server session to create or restore an image file.

Note that I obviously don't need to do the steps for Mass Storage Drivers location...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,744 Times in 2,022 Posts
    Here's a batch file I have used in the past to successfully create a Windows PE 3.0 CD with NIC drivers. The drivers you use must be compatible with Windows 7 for this to work though.

Code:
    @echo off
    TITLE Windows PE 3.0
    :: =============================================================================
    :: Requires WAIK for Windows 7 - http://goo.gl/byri
    :: =============================================================================
    :: SETLOCAL causes environment changes to be restricted to this batch file.
    :: SETLOCAL

:: Set processor architecture (x86, amd64, or ia64) 
    SET ARCH=x86

:: Configure Paths & Variables (Drive letter must be lowercase due to bug in WAIK?)
    SET PETOOLS=c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools
    SET WORKINGDIR=d:\WindowsPE\WinPE-%ARCH%
    SET REMOVEBOOT=true

:: Set path to required AIK files - these are the default locations
    SET COPYPE="c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\CopyPE.cmd"
    SET IMAGEX="c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\%ARCH%\ImageX.exe"
    SET OSCDIMG="c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\%ARCH%\OSCDImg.exe"

SET DRIVERS=D:\WindowsPE\Drivers
    SET INSTALLVM=true
    SET INSTALLGFX=false
    SET INSTALLLAN=true
    SET INSTALLMSD=false

:: PREP/CLEANUP
    TASKKILL /F /IM WinServ.exe /T
    :: The DISM cleanup command simply cleans up any previous wims/mounts you have been working with.
    DISM /Cleanup-Wim

:: Delete working directory if it exists
    IF NOT EXIST "%WORKINGDIR%" Goto START
    Echo "%WORKINGDIR%" exists, Removing working directory. Please wait...
    RD /S /Q "%WORKINGDIR%"

:START
    :: START
    PUSHD %cd%

:: Copy Windows PE files to working directory
    Call %COPYPE% %ARCH% "%WORKINGDIR%"

:: Copy base WIM to boot.wim
    Copy "%WORKINGDIR%\winpe.wim" "%WORKINGDIR%\ISO\sources\boot.wim"

:: Mount boot.wim
    DISM /Mount-Wim /WimFile:"%WORKINGDIR%\ISO\sources\boot.wim" /index:1 /MountDir:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount"

:: LANGUAGE/REGIONAL SETTINGS
    :: Set keyboard layout and locale
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Set-InputLocale:0809:00000809
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Set-UserLocale:en-GB

:: Set time zone - the name of the time zone must exactly match the name of the time zone settings in the registry in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TimeZones\
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /set-timezone:"GMT Standard Time"

:: Verify the language settings
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Get-Intl
    :: PAUSE

:: ADD ADDITIONAL PACKAGES
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\winpe-scripting.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-scripting_en-us.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\winpe-wmi.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-wmi_en-us.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\winpe-hta.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-hta_en-us.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\winpe-mdac.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-mdac_en-us.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\winpe-wds-tools.cab"
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Package /PackagePath:"%PETOOLS%\%ARCH%\WinPE_FPs\en-us\winpe-wds-tools_en-us.cab"

:: Verify packages were installed correctly
    DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /get-packages
    :: PAUSE

:: INSTALL DRIVERS
    if "%installvm%"=="true" DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:%DRIVERS%\VMware /recurse
    if "%installgfx%"=="true" DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:%DRIVERS%\GFX /recurse
    if "%installlan%"=="true" DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:%DRIVERS%\LAN /recurse
    if "%installmsd%"=="true" DISM /image:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Add-Driver /driver:%DRIVERS%\MSD /recurse

:: ADDITIONAL FILES
    :: Copy files required for GImageX to work (imagex.exe/wimgapi.dll/wimmount.inf/wimmount.sys/WimMountInstall.exe/Wimserv.exe)
    XCopy "%ProgramFiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\%ARCH%\imagex.exe" "%WORKINGDIR%\mount\Windows\System32\" /E /C /H /Q /R /Y
    XCopy "%ProgramFiles%\Windows AIK\Tools\%ARCH%\wim*.*" "%WORKINGDIR%\mount\Windows\System32\" /E /C /H /Q /R /Y

:: Copy additional tools to System32 folder (use "%WORKINGDIR%\ISO" for root of CD/DVD/UFD)
    XCopy D:\WindowsPE\Tools\Common "%WORKINGDIR%\mount\Windows\System32\" /E /C /H /Q /R /Y
    XCopy D:\WindowsPE\Tools\%ARCH% "%WORKINGDIR%\mount\Windows\System32\" /E /C /H /Q /R /Y

:: Delete BootFix.bin
    IF "%REMOVEBOOT%"=="true" del /q "%WORKINGDIR%\ISO\boot\bootfix.bin

:: REGISTRY
    REG LOAD HKLM\_WinPE_SYSTEM "%WORKINGDIR%\mount\windows\system32\config\system"
    REG LOAD HKLM\_WinPE_SOFTWARE "%WORKINGDIR%\mount\windows\system32\config\software"

:: Add registry keys for "TCP/IP Registry Compatibility" service (for PENetCfg).
    REG IMPORT D:\WindowsPE\Registry\PENetCfg.reg
    :: Increase size of WinPE RAM disk (X:\) to 48MB (default is 32MB)
    REG ADD "HKLM\_WinPE_SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\FBWF" /v "WinPECacheThreshold" /t REG_DWORD /d "48" /f

REG UNLOAD HKLM\_WinPE_SYSTEM
    REG UNLOAD HKLM\_WinPE_SOFTWARE

:: COMMIT CHANGES
    :: Unmount WIM
    DISM /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:"%WORKINGDIR%\mount" /Commit

:: Create the ISO
    %OSCDIMG% -n -b"%WORKINGDIR%\etfsboot.com" "%WORKINGDIR%\ISO" -lWinPE "%WORKINGDIR%\WinPE_x86.iso"

:: Move ISO to parent folder
    Move "%CD%\WinPE-%ARCH%\WinPE_x86.iso" "%CD%"

ECHO. 
    ECHO  Created WinPE_x86.iso
    ECHO  Burn to CD/DVD using a third-party application (e.g. ImgBurn, CDBurnerXP)
    ECHO. 

POPD

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Brown View Post
    This is the guide I'm using... if it helps
    You might want to consider upgrading to Windows PE 3.0 since that guide is for v2.0. You will find the latest version is much better when it comes to integrating drivers.

how to configure the image so it will get an IP address when it starts up.
    As long as it can connect to the network it will pick up an IP address via DHCP.

By the way, if you need to increase the screen resolution when you are using Windows PE with Ghost32 these are the two files you need to edit and create.

StartNet.cmd
    Code:
    wpeinit /unattend=%SystemRoot%\System32\Unattend.xml

Unattend.xml
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
      <settings pass="windowsPE">
        <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" 
        publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" 
        xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" 
        xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
              <Display>
              <ColorDepth>32</ColorDepth>
              <HorizontalResolution>1024</HorizontalResolution>
              <VerticalResolution>768</VerticalResolution>
              </Display>
        <EnableNetwork>true</EnableNetwork>
        <EnableFirewall>false</EnableFirewall>
        </component>
      </settings>
    </unattend>

Thank Post
    Nah don't really want to go making any wholesale changes to our current setup
    You don't necessarily have to use MDT for deploying images. I think what Strawberry meant was use it just as an easy way to create a basic Windows PE CD with the drivers integrated. Once that has been done you could uninstall it.

Thank Post
    Tarqel: PM sent.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vien View Post
    Tarqel: PM sent.
    Why? If you have some insight, please share it so everybody benefits.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Why? If you have some insight, please share it so everybody benefits.
    Because my question was regarding RIS and E6410's specifically which didn't have anything to do with this thread. I didn't want to hijack the thread and I needed 1 post count to send a PM.

Thank Post
    Soooo.... start a new thread?

Mods, split please.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread