+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Problem creating first image in Technical; Hi, Just trying out FOG ( V 0.29 ) Im installing it on Ubuntu 10.04, after a lot of messing ...

Thank Post

Problem creating first image

Hi,
    Just trying out FOG ( V 0.29 ) Im installing it on Ubuntu 10.04, after a lot of messing about ( I'm a *nix noob ) but I think I have it setup OK, I'm using NFS to transfer the image from the client to the server, this seems to work as I get the blue screen and its counting up, it gets to 99% then comes up with an error about not being able to contact ftp server.

Has anyone seen this error before or know what I might have done wrong for this to happen?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick.

Thank Post
    did you do the Ubuntu prep for Fog after it was installed? Sounds like you didn't set the password for TFTP and Default Storage

(do this first) FOGUserGuide - FOGProject Wiki

and then set the TFTP passwords. Look under Known Issues - Ubuntu 9.04 - FOGProject Wiki

fyi the default password for the TFTP server / PXE password / and Storage Node is "password"

Thank Post
    ssx4life, thanks for your reply, I hadn't done the prep or altered the tftp password, so I ran through this and did them, now when I try to set an upload task for a pc I get 'Unable to connect to TFTP server' do I need to setup everything from scratch again for it to pick up the changed password?

Mick.

Thank Post
    OK I managed to change the password back to what it was, and now I can connect to the tftp server again, but when I try to image a pc I get the error that it can't find image file 'sys.img.000', I've checked and the img file has been created, maybe when it errored at 99% the img file has been damaged?? anyway I'm back to square one.. one thing I didnt mention is that both the Ubuntu server and the clients are all virtual machines using Sun Virtualbox ( just for testing purposes ), I don't know whether this has anything to do with the issues i'm getting.
    Has anyone successfully done this with virtual hosts?

Mick.

Thank Post
    Finally managed to send an image to a client, the reason it wasnt working was because the image files were still in the temp directory in dev, so moved them to be in Images/Win7 and it was fine, so it must have been due to it failing at 99%....?

But now I have a new problem, when I have imaged a client, it give an inaccesible boot device error, anyone know what could be causing this? Unless the image is fried?

Thanks in advance,

Mick.

Thank Post
    I've set up Fog a couple of times, and never had problems like these. However, once when my colleague and I were playing around, he messed with moving the Images folder around, and it killed Fog. The fact that your image isn't being moved from the tmp folder to Images suggests to me that it might be a permissions issue.

I would suggest setting up a new server from scratch. Use Ubuntu Server, go with most of the defaults, install the LAMP stack when you get the chance. When the server is running, log in as root and do the Fog install as root. Always worked for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MickD View Post
    Finally managed to send an image to a client, the reason it wasnt working was because the image files were still in the temp directory in dev, so moved them to be in Images/Win7 and it was fine, so it must have been due to it failing at 99%....?

But now I have a new problem, when I have imaged a client, it give an inaccesible boot device error, anyone know what could be causing this? Unless the image is fried?

Thanks in advance,

Mick.
    You could try using a bootdisk to fix the master boot record to see if that was corrupted.
    Is the client you are imaging the same hardware that the image was captured from?
    I've made images on VirtualBox and and XenServer which seemed to deploy with no problems, but if you are having problems try capturing and deploying to the same PC to see if your problems are server related or not.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread