+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, MDT2010 x64 deployment in Technical; Hi Guys ok first off have tried this on 2 virtuals and 1 dell 780 all setup with server 2008 ...

Thank Post

MDT2010 x64 deployment

Hi Guys

ok first off have tried this on 2 virtuals and 1 dell 780 all setup with server 2008 x64.

ok so have wds installed works greats, installed mdt can deploy x86 images fine no issues i can see the light at the end of the tunnel for the summer.........untill i'm asked to do some x64 images and someone blocks the light at the tunnel........so this is where the issue comes in, i have added all the drivers, updated the deployment share, moved the boot images over to wds, done the task sequances validated the unattend answer files both on x86 and x64 all fine.......go to deploy x64 and i get this message:

see link

www.daveworld.co.uk/error.JPG

any mdt gods out there?

Dave

Thank Post
    Few questions and a thought before I go to bed (i really should given the time ):

- Are you just using MDT2010 or are you using it in conjunction with WDS and or SCCM?
    - Are you ensuring that you are booting with a x64 boot image in order to deploy the x64 version of windows?

I ask the later as I was being a little silly recently in that i was booting with a x64 (custom) boot image of WinPE but trying to use it in conjunction with a x86 install.wim of Windows 7

[I'm using SCCM 2007 SP2 with MDT2010 for info]

I'll check back tomorrow but for now, sleep time

Cheers
    Nath.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tarquel View Post
    Few questions and a thought before I go to bed (i really should given the time ):

- Are you just using MDT2010 or are you using it in conjunction with WDS and or SCCM?
    - Are you ensuring that you are booting with a x64 boot image in order to deploy the x64 version of windows?

I ask the later as I was being a little silly recently in that i was booting with a x64 (custom) boot image of WinPE but trying to use it in conjunction with a x86 install.wim of Windows 7

[I'm using SCCM 2007 SP2 with MDT2010 for info]

I'll check back tomorrow but for now, sleep time

Cheers
    Nath.
    Morning Nath

I'm using MDT2010 with wds

i have made sure its using the x64 boot, and in wds i have set x64 to boot with the x64 image......even tried doing the task sequence with a x86 answer file in as a test but no go, as its auto puts it into the x64 boot file as a sequence, thats 1 way of testing also.

just very annoying......for info im testing x64 with windows 7 enterprise image off the dvd.

hope to hear from you soon :-)

Dave

Thank Post
    Still having issues with this?

We found that, with regards to a SCCM + MDT setup, that it didnt put the boot files over that were needed for PXE booting when it came to the x64 boot image.

Could that be similar to your issue perhaps?

Cheers
    Nath

Thank Post
    Hi Nath

indeed i am still having a issue with it, to be fair i have kind of put it on the to do list before Decemember............the error i was getting was more it couldnt find the os, so maybe the same, something i really do need to look into as we are getting new dell laptops in........which brings me to the next issue finding alot of blue screening with the laptops, so going to have to redo the drivers database so it only picks up the drivers for the correct model.....joy.......that might sort the issue as well.

so how did you over come the problem with the boot files?

Regards

Dave

Thank Post
    o going to have to redo the drivers database so it only picks up the drivers for the correct model.....joy
    It genuinely is a joy when you've done it . The pain bit is:

a) Messed model names you can find lurking in some boxes (I just edited the gather info script that obtains the model to work around some broken ones - none have been Dell BTW)

b) Rounding up the wide variety of h/w available for some models. It's not bad, but model isn't perfect indicator of what consistent bits will be inside any two of them.

Thank Post
    so how did you over come the problem with the boot files?
    Well, the difference is that I'm using SCCM to do OS deployment, it doesnt use WDS in its normal native way (which is possibly the same as just using MDT with WDS), so I dont know whether what I discovered will help ya, but i'll tell ya anyhow

In the first setup (one role doing the lot hehe) which was on a different domain for a different purpose, i found that I couldnt boot the right boot image. I discovered that it hadnt installed the boot files (that are used in PXE) correctly when I added the x64 boot image.

I just had to copy them in myself and I was able to boot the x64 boot image correctly.

Being that your getting to the PE environment, it doesnt seem likely that its the same thing - unless you had booted using a x86 boot image, rather than using a seperate x64 boot image.

You can see if the PXE files are there, I think they are located:

W:\WDS\Boot\x64

[where W:\WDS is the drive and path that you have chosen to setup WDS on, and Boot\x64 is where the 64bit boot files would be]

I would guess that the x64 boot image itself would be in the Images folder within that x64 folder, but thats purely guess work as SCCM doesnt use any of this.

In the SCCM PSP (PXE Service Point) role install, it is formed like this:

W:\WDS\SMSBoot\x64

This uses the WDS setup, but creates a SMSBoot folder in the root of the WDS install, and I found that it didnt actually palce the boot files in x64 folder, so I copied them into there from the normal WDS x64 boot files, although as this was about 4/5 months ago so I cant quite remember if they are the files I used.

Whether or not a basic MDT integrated with WDS uses just the WDS setup or not I wouldnt know unfortunately.

It does seem that it hasnt used whatever x64 boot image you have there and thus cant continue to install the x64 OS, but I'm purely speculating here.

Regarding your driver issues, its worth having a read through the following:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymen...-mdt-2008.aspx

Might have some nuggets of info that might help ya, especially depending on what laptops you're gonna be getting.

For example, for the Dell E6410's, I had to inject the LAN card driver into the boot image, in order for the PE and Task Sequences to kick off and work correctly.

In SCCM, you can do this really easily through the GUI. The stickied thread at the top should be able to help if you havent had to do this yet with WDS.

Cheers
    Nath
    Last edited by tarquel; 18th September 2010 at 09:37 PM.

Thank Post
    will look into this tomorrow, as always you guys rock

for info we have dells and samsungs

also did any of you find a cab file of windows 7 drivers for dell 745, 755, i know on the dell site it starts off with the 760's supporting deployment packages.

Dave

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread