+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Fog woes in Technical; Hey guys, Ive been playing with Fog for a while now and am having massive issues with it. I can ...
    Thank Post

Fog woes

Hey guys, Ive been playing with Fog for a while now and am having massive issues with it.
    I can see it has massive potential, and I really want to replace the WDS we currently have.
    I hav Unbuntu 10.04 and Fog .29 installed. DHCP is on another server with options 066 ad 067 configured. I can pxe boot, install the service, register hoasts etc...but

The first problem is running behind a proxy, so updating is iffy at best. I have discovered i can put password"at symbol"proxy.address in the proxy settings on the server but this dosent seem to work for everything, so i'm not 100% sure that fog is installed correctly

The second problem (and this is only a recent thing) is the icons and images on the web interface do not display correctly. This is a massive pain when you have to click on images to upload, edit and kill processes, the only way I have found around this is to run in IE (and who really wants to do that), the images are replaced with the red crosses, but are still clickable.
    After a bit of searching i found that if i edit the httpd.conf file (which is blank.....) and add these 2 lines;
    Code:
    EnableSendfile off
    EnableMMAP off
    Then the images will appear, seems a bit weird, and I'm sure the first time I installed fog on VirtualBox all the images were there...

The third (and final...I promise) problem is when I try to upload an image to the server.
    It recognises that there is an upload pending and starts loading the correct image, it will backup the MBR, resize and all that jazz ok, although i do see this error now right at the top after it loads init.gz and before it starts resizing
    Code:
    atl1c 000:02:00.0: Unable to allocate MSI interrupt Error: -1
    I dont know if this is a serious error or not?
    But after its resized the blue uploading screen will flash for a split second, then it moves on, restores the MBR and resizes the NTFS and starts complaining that it cant move the 50gb temp image that it supposidly uploaded in .5 seconds to the correct folder.

Any ideas to any of these problems?
    I'm going to try and boot up my old virtual fog server to check the httpd.conf file but really, im lost!!

Thank Post
    I'm no fog expert. But the updating does not work behind a proxy. I found this out by getting an answer on one of the threads on sourceforge site. As for the other errors I can't really help.

Thank Post
    Hey thanks for the reply but updating Ubuntu behind our proxy works fine if i use our isp's (SWGfL) staff proxy, then put the password infront of the proxy address. For example
    Code:
    password@staffproxy.isp
    Might be worth a try if your having trouble updating

Thank Post
    Sorry I thought you were talking about the actual fog software.

Thank Post
    FOG has a proxy setting to allow the interface to update correctly and download different kernels (go to 'fog settings' in the web interface). If you're still missing graphics and other bits you might be missing some packages from the install process, did the fog install script successfully finish and check the package installations?

Assuming the installation is correct i've found that completely skipping the actual image upload means that you're using a kernel that doesn't work with your hardware, I've reverted to an older kernel to work around the same issue. If it isn't a kernel issue then you can put it into debug mode and execute partimage directly to see if you get a more revealing error message.

6. 2 Thanks to morganw:

BenABF (30th November 2010), wiggum123 (1st June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wiggum123 View Post
    The third (and final...I promise) problem is when I try to upload an image to the server.
    It recognises that there is an upload pending and starts loading the correct image, it will backup the MBR, resize and all that jazz ok, although i do see this error now right at the top after it loads init.gz and before it starts resizing
    Code:
    atl1c 000:02:00.0: Unable to allocate MSI interrupt Error: -1
    I dont know if this is a serious error or not?
    But after its resized the blue uploading screen will flash for a split second, then it moves on, restores the MBR and resizes the NTFS and starts complaining that it cant move the 50gb temp image that it supposidly uploaded in .5 seconds to the correct folder.
    Do you mean the image uploads to the FOG server and then repeatedly complains about not being able to move the temp image?
    If that is the case the /image directory on your FOG server has the wrong permissions configured. See Images Directory Permissions - FOGProject Wiki for confirmation of this and how to fix it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sjatkn View Post
    Do you mean the image uploads to the FOG server and then repeatedly complains about not being able to move the temp image?
    If that is the case the /image directory on your FOG server has the wrong permissions configured. See Images Directory Permissions - FOGProject Wiki for confirmation of this and how to fix it.
    Hi,
    The image dosent upload, I have checked the temp folder and there is nothing there.
    I will check the permissions on all the folders again but I'm fairly sure they are right

Thank Post
    That's exactly what mine was doing, try an alternate kernel or just download an older version of FOG and get the kernel from that.

10. Thanks to morganw from:

wiggum123 (1st June 2010)

Thank Post
    thanks for the replies guys. Is there a particular kernal i should be using? Or is it jus a case of trying each KitchenSink release?
    Also, i'm guessing its just a case of downloading them, then leaving the kernal name as BZImage? U couldnt see any more steps, unless im being blind

Thank Post
    Yes, just rename / replace bzImage. I'm just using the one that came with FOG 0.25, seems to work on everything I have.

13. Thanks to morganw from:

wiggum123 (1st June 2010)

Thank Post
    You can specify unique kernel's to computer models if one model is being finicky. This is done though the web console, but requires that you rename your kenel to something slightly different. Let me know if you need more help.

Thank Post
    Still having trouble with this one NIC
    The fog machine is installed on a machine with the same NIC, is there a way of grabbing the driver and adding it to a kernel? then using that kernel, or does fog not allow you to do this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread