+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Fog issue - killing me! in Technical; Hey guys, After searching Google and this forum most of the day, I'm having a Fog issue that no one ...

Thank Post

Thumbs down Fog issue - killing me!

Hey guys,

After searching Google and this forum most of the day, I'm having a Fog issue that no one else seems to have experienced - meaning it's likely something simple I'm not doing

But here goes - I installed Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (desktop) and Fog 0.28 per installation guides two days ago. After playing around with the location of the tftpboot directory, I am able to boot clients into the Fog PXE environment.

For what's it's worth, I'm doing DHCP off a Win2008 server with options 66 and 67 configured. This part all seems to work now.

However, while I can get into the management piece and add hosts, images, etc, when I go to upload an image ...it basically doesn't work!

General Tasks

The general/common Tasks in FOG include unicast image upload, and unicast image send, as well as a multicast image send. In FOG, sending an image to the server is considered an image upload, and deploying an image to the client is called a send. Both of these tasks can be started directly from the search, list all hosts, and list all groups pages.

To perform a simple image upload, click on the upward facing arrow next to the host. Uploads are only possible on a host, not a group. Uploading an image will also overwrite any image file that may already exist for that host without any notification or confirmation.
    I followed the above steps, can go to Active Tasks, and can see an upload sitting - but my client still boots into the Fog PXE environment and doesn't image. If there's something I need to do from that menu, I can't find what it is.

I know this is pretty vague - feel free to let me know where I need to explain.

Thanks!
    Damian

Thank Post
    What does it do when it boots up?

Thank Post
    I think the issue is that Fog 0.28 was released before the switch to 10.04 on Ubuntu. I would hold off until 0.29 comes out and try it then.

4. Thanks to ssx4life from:

LCPSWolf (24th May 2010)

Thank Post
    kmount,

I boots into the Fog PXE menu, but totally ignores the fact that I've got an upload task set for it

Thank Post
    ssx4life,

Thanks for the reply - I can do that, though I'm itching to play with it Thanks for your response - I've see you all over the place on Fog and value your input greatly.

Any timeframe on .29? I think I saw the end of May?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Release due 25th.

How did you set the task up? My personal method is to boot the host up itself, do a quick inventory (so it goes and creates the host record etc in fog on your behalf, assign the kernel and the image and then capture it).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPSWolf View Post
    ssx4life,

Thanks for the reply - I can do that, though I'm itching to play with it Thanks for your response - I've see you all over the place on Fog and value your input greatly.

Any timeframe on .29? I think I saw the end of May?

Thanks.
    Thanks for the kind word I have been out of the loop for the last 6 months or so due to school, but I'm now done and have some free time to dedicate towards documentation / etc.

I haven't spoken with microleaks recently, so I can't comment on if 0.29 is compatible with Ubuntu 10.04, but based off previous releases it will be fixed to make it work with the newer releases.

Feel free ask any questions, I'll do my best to help out.

I'm not sure if anyone else is going to techfeast in Illinois, but I hope to attend this year.

Thank Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input on this - I'll wait out the new release tomorrow (yay) and see how it's going with 10.04; otherwise I'll reload Ubuntu and try again before bugging people. I'd hate to waste someone's time troubleshooting something that will work, if I only load the right versions of everything.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Ive had an issue with fog on 10.04, it requires a depreciated package that you cant get in 10.04. without it the fog install script stops mid way and doesnt configure apache and tftp.

you want to find and install libmd5-perl i found a 9.10 .deb package that worked (attached) you will need to change the file type back to .deb
    Attached Files Attached Files

11. Thanks to Arcath from:

LCPSWolf (24th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Arcath,

Thanks! I think I was able to get that downloaded on my 10.04 install already - the install process went through once I figured out why it was failing on that package. I'll keep a copy of it handy regardless.

Thank Post
    Reading it again when you say it boots to the FOG PXE environment even after being tasked do you mean it boots to the GRUB menu where is asks you what you want to do?

from the sounds of it, it looks like you got the mac address for the host wrong, so instead of getting the customised boot to upload boot options it goes to the fall back menu.

Thank Post
    In good news, ssx4life is correct - the 0.29 version works beautifully. I'm able to start an upload; now if I can just get enough storage space stuffed into my server I'll be all set.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread