Poll: What OS do you use mainly

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, What OS are you using? in Technical; I assure you it's not a political conspiracy - although now i'm a bit confused and unsure!...
    Thank Post
    I assure you it's not a political conspiracy - although now i'm a bit confused and unsure!

Thank Post
    I run Mac OS X 10.6 alongside Windows 7, using Syngery to go between the 2

Thank Post
    Depends what machine im on, what job im doing, if im at work or at home, which way the winds blowing - could be any and all of the above!!

Thank Post
    Perhaps i should have renamed the poll 'What OS are you deploying, at work, generally, as a whole' !?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    Depends what machine im on, what job im doing, if im at work or at home, which way the winds blowing - could be any and all of the above!!
    But you're missing the point. Which one do you use mainly?! It surely can't be 50/50 - you've got to use one more than others, even if it's only by a matter of minutes or even seconds.

Why are people being so panickidy? It's a simple flipping question, that has a simple flipping answer. We have linux servers here, ubuntu at home, but because I spend 8+ hours a day on my work machine the answer for me is quite simply Windows. How is it so hard to arrive to an answer for such a simple question.

I bet if there was a million quid riding on the answer none of you will say "I use this and this and this all exactly the same" - I bet everyone of you's would make your mind up which one you used more then.

*sigh*

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Hightower I think it's a matter of principal. At least for me it is, anyway.

A relatively-unknown member posts a vaguely-worded poll which could mean anything (quote: "A bit of a wishy-washy poll i know!"), and means different things to different people. It doesn't say why he's collecting the data or for what purposes.

Thank Post
    Fine, i'm sorry - there was nothing sinister about it - i have a crap system to administer her and the headmistress said to me, 'What do other school's use?'. I just wanted to make sure i was correct in answering Windows - i wish i'd never asked now! If someone asked me the same question i'd just answer, i don't have to give my name, address and bank details - i'm not going to be taken to court for giving an honest answer. I'll delete the poll in a minute if it's going to cause this much greif!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    @Hightower I think it's a matter of principal. At least for me it is, anyway.

A relatively-unknown member posts a vaguely-worded poll which could mean anything (quote: "A bit of a wishy-washy poll i know!"), and means different things to different people. It doesn't say why he's collecting the data or for what purposes.
    Nobody is making you answer - and anyway, what could he do with the answers - have you turned into an Apple Mac?
    Didn't someone ask about underwear the other day? That was pretty random but lots of people answered even though the OP NEVER SAID what he was going to do with the answers!!

Thank Post
    Trying to get a straight answer in a poll from a bunch of geeks, muhahahaha nice try

Thank Post
    I've edited your original post so that the reason is obvious - should be OK now

*Hightower - I love your new word: panickidy - can I keep it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Trying to get a straight answer in a poll from a bunch of geeks, muhahahaha nice try
    Just be glad he didn't ask 'vim or emacs' or 'debian or redhat' :P

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NetmanDH View Post
    Fine, i'm sorry - there was nothing sinister about it - i have a crap system to administer her and the headmistress said to me, 'What do other school's use?'. I just wanted to make sure i was correct in answering Windows - i wish i'd never asked now! If someone asked me the same question i'd just answer, i don't have to give my name, address and bank details - i'm not going to be taken to court for giving an honest answer. I'll delete the poll in a minute if it's going to cause this much greif!
    That's fine; your original post just could have been better-worded to explain that you've been asked to find out what other schools use as their main desktop OS of choice in their establishment.

@witch: I don't know about you, but I care about the reasons behind opinion polls, especially new members and ones that give no indication why it's being asked. I am quite aware nobody is making me answer. Re: underwear poll, Just because lots of people answered doesn't mean we all have to.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Just because lots of people answered doesn't mean we all have to.
    Which was my point

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Just be glad he didn't ask 'vim or emacs' or 'debian or redhat' :P
    Well what about nano?!

Windows at work here.

Thank Post
    Witch - thank you. I did mean a crap system, not carp, before any fishermen get up-in-arms about that. (I've gone all paranoid now!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information