+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Ghost wont connect to get image off laptop in Technical; Im new to ghost. Ive just installed it locally on my workstation to have a play. I can deploy the ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ghost wont connect to get image off laptop

Im new to ghost. Ive just installed it locally on my workstation to have a play. I can deploy the client to the laptop when Im trying to take an image from it. It reboots, but then it never connects back to my workstation to the Ghost Console.

Is it because im just running it on win7 and not a server?

Thank Post
    Firewall on Windows 7??

mb

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Firewall on Windows 7??

mb
    first thing i checked.. turned it off and it did the same..

Do i need to configure ghost to tell it what IP to use when it reboots, or should it just pick up from dhcp?

Thank Post
    PXE-booting should get it's IP from DHCP, but you might want to set Option 60 to "PXEClient" so the client knows to go back to the same machine for the boot image.

mb

Thank Post
    er, assuming you are using PXE

mb

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have no idea.. Whats the default?

It reboots OK after I deploy the client to it, and then it sits there going: "trying to contact <my workatation> " over and over

and the ghost on my workstation just sits there going, waiting for connection

Thank Post
    Hi

If you are deploying it from the console have you set the correct nic card that it should use. What happens is when windows is running it uses the nic card driver from windows. Then when it reboots it reboots into a virtual partition and it uses the drivers you have specified for the machine. It it does not work it reboots into windows, but it it partially works it gets stuck in the virtual partition and you have to do a key combination to get out. I am sorry I dont remember it off the top of my head.

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh, ok. I didnt set any of that. I just jumped straight in and created a 'get image from machine' task. I guess I should really spend some time Reading TFM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I still can't get this working. Is anyone able to talk me through setting this up pelase?

Thank Post
    assuming you have the console on a n other pc on teh same network and that said network supports dhcp

once the pc is in the console you need to check its network settings i personally find pcdos and ndis drivers more reliable and quicker than winpe but thats just me and universal driver works for a lot of stuff

the task itself is fairly easy all you need to do is tyell it what pc to pull and where to store the image
    Attached Images Attached Images

TheLibrarian
    Is your Ghost server and Ghost client on the same subnet?

If not then you will exerience this problem if the router isn't set to forward [insert some port numbers that I can't remember here] and multicast traffic.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Are you just trying to take a image or roll out a application/package? If it's the former I just recommend creating a boot disk (CD/Floppy/USB/PXE server) and do it fom in the dos based environment.

Or if your adventurous I might have a guide for creating a winpe disc with the 32bit app in it to do it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im trying to take an image. Its a netbook with no cd drive but I guess I could use a usb cd. Once Ive taken the image though, wont I just have the same issue trying to deploy the image?

Its a flat network, all on the same subnet.

Sted, Ill try changing it to your settings and see if it works. These are win7 not sure if that makes a difference

TheLibrarian
    First an apology - this is quite disjointed - I've not had time to write, read, think and reformat.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Im trying to take an image. Its a netbook with no cd drive but I guess I could use a usb cd. Once Ive taken the image though, wont I just have the same issue trying to deploy the image?
    Yes you will have the same issue.

Its a flat network, all on the same subnet.
    OK, that makes this much easier.

Sted, Ill try changing it to your settings and see if it works. These are win7 not sure if that makes a difference
    Win7 won't make the slightest difference as long as you are using an up-to-date version of Ghost.
    ____

OK, I can't say for certain that the Ghost server will work from Win7, but I don't know of any reason that it won't.

What Ghost client operating system are you using?
    WinPE, Linux, or PC-DOS?
    My preference is WinPE then Linux then PC-DOS.

Do you have a WINS server?
    I have seen Ghostcasting fail when it can't get a NetBIOS name for a machine.

In most cases I'd recommend making sure you use NIC drivers specifically for the client PC in question.
    I have used the Unversal Packet Driver sucessfully a few times, but I prefer not to.

You need to test communication between the server and client, easiest way is to boot the client using Ghost's WinPE, you have the usual range of command line tools, ping, nslookup etc.
    Use the Ghost Boot Disk Wizard to create a bootable memory pen for testing the comms.

If you have comms use the Ghost32 exe on the pen and try to connect to a GhostSrv(.exe) that you run manually. (Simple settings, see the attached screenshot)
    In the Ghost Client use Ghostcast -> Unicast, try automatic and if that fails try giving it the Ghost server IP.

To test if WINS is your issue:
    If you can, isolate the Ghost Server and client on their own switch, use TFTPD32 to give you DHCP, DNS and WINS and see how you get on.
    TFTPD can be found here TFTPD32 : a opensource TFTP server/service for windows : TFTP server
    Please make sure you permanently deactivate TFTPD32's DHCP service before you connect your server back to the main network.

I can't think of much more at the moment - keep us posted.

Last thought, it may be useful to know the WinPE provided with the latest Ghost Solution Suite is based on W2K8, so if you need to add drivers get the W2K8 ones...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have changed it to the PC-DOS and it worked perfectly thanks. Its currently taking an image, only a 5gb install, but its taking aboout 3 hours. Its a 1gig switched network.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast