+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, Ghost wont connect to get image off laptop in Technical; My first guess would be that the speed is being impared by the PC-DOS client, I have found each type ...
    TheLibrarian
    My first guess would be that the speed is being impared by the PC-DOS client, I have found each type of hardware we have has one of the three Ghost client O/S's that will perform best - for instance Linux and WinPE on the Toshiba A3XE's we've got take hours to image a 17Gb image and less that 2 hours with PC-DOS.

It'd be wise to try each Ghost Client O/S to see which performs best.

At the moment I haven't figured out how to add drivers to the Linux client, but the PC-DOS and WinPE are very easy to update.

2. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

RabbieBurns (19th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks. I set 10 going before I left work. Will see how they turn out in the morning. They are being reimaged from XP - Win7. What should I be looking at that will automatically rename them to what they were before, and rejoin them to the domain?

TheLibrarian
    There are a three O/S configuration options you can use to rename PC's and add them to the domain.

1. Default
    2. Template
    3. Custom
    The least useful is Template, so I'll leave you to play with that at a later date.

Custom would be used for PC's new to the domain or PC's that require a name change.

Default, once the Ghost Console has learned the configuration of the PC(s) Default will configure the PC how it was recorded in the Ghost database - be careful to maintain and update the database otherwise you could find PC's using old names.

When creating the Ghost push task tick the 'configuration' task step to get the configuration tab, the configuration option you would use here is Default.
    Before you use Default you should ensure that the Ghost Console has the latest configuration information stored by running a Ghost task with just 'refresh configuration' ticked.

If you are using Custom or Template configurations, the configurations are typically created before the task, Custom configurations then have to be dragged and dropped on to the appropriate machine after hitting the 'Customize' button on the task configuration tab - but I'm sure you'll figure that out with a little exploring.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    Default, once the Ghost Console has learned the configuration of the PC(s) Default will configure the PC how it was recorded in the Ghost database - be careful to maintain and update the database otherwise you could find PC's using old names.
    What is the ghost database? Do I need to deploy the client to all the machines I want to reimage and then do some sort of configuration scan before imaging?

Cheers for the help, appreciate it.

TheLibrarian
    The Ghost Console keeps its own database behind the scenes.

You don't need to do anything to it (IME) until you eventually need to upgrade / replace the server that Ghost is on.

You will need the Ghost client on every PC that you want the Ghost Console to 'see' and work with.

IIRC when you install the client Ghost will perform a limited configuration scan, however it is best to run a task with just 'refresh configuration' ticked.

I don't think users have ever noticed when I've run the refresh config task, they will notice when you run a refresh inventory task though, that hammers the drive for a while.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its not feasible to have the client installed on all computers at all times as Im only licensed for 500 ghost and ive got about 2000 machines. So Ill just do the refresh config task before the deploy, and then have a play with the Default configuration task.

At the moment Im just running the new version on my workstation in 30 day / 10 machine mode. (The old version is installed on a server - can I do an inplace upgrade, or is it best to uninstall it and do a clean install)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    edit: Also, about 70-80% are laptops too so never all on at the same time..

TheLibrarian
    Unfortunately Rabbie, that is against the licensing terms for Ghost.

You have to buy a Ghost client license for every PC that has an operating system deployed by Ghost - whether the PC is in use or not.

To free a license you have to erase the operating system installed by Ghost imaging.

At least that is how I understand the licensing to work - I could be wrong, but I am fairly certain I am not.

I mention this for your information, how you choose to manage your licensing is not really my concern - but I would feel I had let you down by not pointing this out.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just checked, and its a 500 and a 200. Theres a load of Imacs and macbooks as well which we use netrestore for too, so should be alright. The boss did the licensing so Im sure he knows whats what...

Maybe my guess of 2000 machines was off. Ill check tomorrow.

TheLibrarian
    I love leaving licensing to the boss.

Thank Post
    Hi

Have a look at this tutorial it might help.

Symantec Ghost - Tutorials

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    I have changed it to the PC-DOS and it worked perfectly thanks. Its currently taking an image, only a 5gb install, but its taking aboout 3 hours. Its a 1gig switched network.
    usually means either something in the network it dosent like some setting or the driver is correct enough to work but not ideal

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help.

Spent the day at the Acer Australia HQ to get the lowdown on how they use ghost. Pretty clued up now, so will have another go when I get back to school tomorrow.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12