+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Sysprep for Fog in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Sysprep for Fog

How do I sysprep an image for FOG
    Iíve done the sysprep and when it shuts down I pull the image into fog and deploy it to another PC it does not pick up the answer file so I have to enter the product key etc.
    Do I just click reseal on the sysperp

Cheers

Thank Post
    Most likely you used the gui portion of sysprep, which in my experience doesn't always work. The only gui tool I use is the setupmgr.exe app that creates the answer file.

You have to launch sysprep.exe via the command prompt and use the switches -reseal and -mini i.e. C:\sysprep\sysprep -reseal -mini . Once you do that then the answer file should be picked up.
    Last edited by stevehp; 5th May 2010 at 05:07 PM.

3. Thanks to stevehp from:

ozydave (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts
    I have always used the gui of sysprep and never had a failure.

Ben

Thank Post
    I have only had one failure myself. This was when trying to preserve OEM pre-activation. Other than that the GUI works fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I have always used the gui of sysprep and never had a failure.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by denon101 View Post
    I have only had one failure myself. This was when trying to preserve OEM pre-activation. Other than that the GUI works fine.
    That may be so, but I was merely giving my two cents on the experiences I've had with sysprep. In my case using the gui would cause it to ignore the answer file each and everytime, no matter the options I would select. It's possible I was doing something wrong in the gui, but the command prompt method has worked without issue each and everytime.

Thank Post
    Well I always think "What ever works for you" is the way to do it. I mean there are usually several different ways of doing most things.

Thank Post
    I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have regarding sysprep and FOG.

There are a few steps that I consider critical to having a properly set up and created XP image on FOG, but that's just me (mass storage drivers / HAL change / etc.)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssx4life View Post
    I'll be more than happy to answer any questions you have regarding sysprep and FOG.

There are a few steps that I consider critical to having a properly set up and created XP image on FOG, but that's just me (mass storage drivers / HAL change / etc.)
    You don't fancy putting up some bullet points or something about the critical steps you mention do you? We could then see them and if we have questions on certain ones then we PM you? Just seems to make more sense to share if you have ideas you think are crucial as I keep hitting a brick wall with FOG at the moment (mainly permissions I think, but on the odd occasion it worked, the answer file hadn't been picked up - will be trying the command line version in a while though to see if that solves it)

Ta

Thank Post
    Sorry for being absent from these forums for awhile, I just came back

I can't take all the credit for Fog + Sysprep, but Michael Vowtaw has a really REALLY nice guide on the basics - COE Exchange: Imaging Windows Machines with Sysprep

I use about 80% of his guide and 20% of my own configuration.

I prefer to use driverpacks for my sysprep - News | DriverPacks.net

By having a single install that does JUST mass storage drivers + LAN drivers in my sysprep I am able to push the windows xp image to any system, and have driverpacks find all needed drivers on the back end. (currently working on about 8 models or so for me)

I'll be happy to fill in any gaps you may have about sysprep... but it is pretty straight forward

Just remember... if you have XP Pro OEM (COA) you can use sysprep with roytalty keys if you preserve oem activation using M$ methods (I prefer to use a royalty key + oem scan)

Again.... YMMV, let me know if you need more pointers

Also you can reach me via Email (see signature)
    Last edited by ssx4life; 12th May 2010 at 03:59 PM.

11. Thanks to ssx4life from:

soveryapt (12th May 2010)

Thank Post

Just Hangs

Hi

Iím having a problem with sysprep at the moment. I create the answer file then run sysprep Ėmini Ėreseal. This never finishes, I have left it over night.
    Canít seem to get fog to join it to the domain either

Cheers

Thank Post
    It could be a number of issues you are running into (most likely driver related).

Just a couple of quick questions for you

What version of XP are you running sysprep on (XP Pro OEM / VLK / etc.)
    Are you making an HII (hardware independent image)
    How many model computers are you wanting to support (relates to question #2) and do you plan on having an individual image per model?
    Are you trying to integrate any drivers into your sysprep.inf ?
    Can you please post your .inf (don't forget to X out the key)

I'll take a look and see what I can do for you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ssx4life View Post
    Sorry for being absent from these forums for awhile, I just came back

Just remember... if you have XP Pro OEM (COA) you can use sysprep with roytalty keys if you preserve oem activation using M$ methods (I prefer to use a royalty key + oem scan)
    ssx, I assume that Royalty keys are something different than the SLP keys referenced at the Wikipedia article titled System Locked Preinstallation - Wikipedia. (can't post links yet per vBulletin)

Secondly, is there a way to use FOG and sysprep and feed a unique COA to each host?

thanks,
    Eric

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emaynard View Post
    ssx, I assume that Royalty keys are something different than the SLP keys referenced at the Wikipedia article titled System Locked Preinstallation - Wikipedia. (can't post links yet per vBulletin)

Secondly, is there a way to use FOG and sysprep and feed a unique COA to each host?

thanks,
    Eric
    Royalty keys are the term used by Microsoft when referring to public OEM keys that are specifically designed to correlate with OEM Hardware and OEM Bios files from large manufacturers. They are also known as SLP keys FYI (System Lock Preinstallation... and they they are also used in downgrade rights - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rencesheet.pdf

I can't link to any royalty keys other than those provided by Microsoft - Preserving OEM Pre-Activation when Re-installing Windows XP

Personally I use Fog to re-image client computers. It only works on systems that are OEM and came with the proper COA licensing. If it's home / MCE2K5 / etc. I use my custom DVD installs of Windows XP (XP + SP3 + Driverpacks + oemscan).

You can also use FOG (or any imaging software for that matter) to specify a unique windows key on each installation. The easiest way to do this would be to leave the key out of the sysprep answer file so you must type it in manually (which can be a pain in the @ss).

You could also write a bart PE script to push a unique .INF based off the service tag / serial # of the unit. But depending on the number of systems you have it can be daunting and also a bit redundant (unless you are not using OEM keys / VLK keys ).

Depending on what you want to accomplish there are several ways to get you there. Hope that clears somethings up for you =)

Thank Post
    I have more information on this going back as well - [Other] OEM Disks? - dslreports.com

Again as always... if you need more help let me know.

Thank Post
    SSX, since you offered, i am going to pick your brain. I read your post on DSL Reports and I think that I may have broken the triad. Here is my situation:

I have 30 Acer Desktops that I want to use FOG to maintain. Initially, I sysprep'd and used CloneZilla to replicate the Acer provided XP image to all the desktops. In my sysprep.inf file, I used the SLP key that is at this in the TechNet article you linked to in hopes of preserving the OEM activation on all the PCs. It appeared to work as I did not receive any kind of activation messages.

Now, I have run into a problem after setting up FOG and attempting to re-image (with updates applied) where sysprep is stating "grace period has been reached" and it appears to force me into re-running the full Windows setup including inputing the product key. The COA on these units was for Vista Business OEM, but I purchased with OEM XP downgrade discs.

So, my question is if I am going to have to somehow capture (convert?) the OEM image on the DVDs into a (sysprep'd?) FOG image so that I can keep the triad you mention in the DSL Report forum post.

Do you know of any shortcuts to this process as I would rather not have to start over if not necessary?

Your willingness to share advice/experience is greatly appreciated.

-Eric

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast