+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, Suggestions for new deployment software in Technical; I created an image of said machine, put it on 6 external HDDs ... So far that has been the ...

Thank Post
    I created an image of said machine, put it on 6 external HDDs ... So far that has been the most painless way for me to do it without having to faff about with sysprep etc.
    My man!

Welcome to my world.

But I only have 1 portable drive so I used to partition all machines initially into C and D - image the master computer C partition to D and then copy the image to all D Drives (by using binary logic 1 copied to 2 and 3, then copy 2 to 4 and 5, 3 to 6 and 7 etc... and then boot each machine off CD and restore image to C drive.

But recently had problems with netbooks and hidden partitions so I now just use Clonezilla to image whole machine and back to using my USB drive on each machine.

And I've also used FOG but I that hasn't been reliable enough for me switch to it entirely.

And I use WPKG to deploy pre-built msi/autoit/bat file installs so the need to have all software on one computer before imaging is less important nowadays.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyG555 View Post
    We're in exactly the same boat looking to migrate from server 2003 to 2008 and from Win XP to Win 7. A solution for deployment we're very keen on is Microsoft System Center Essentials 2010 out this year. Will also provide for zero touch installation which is also extremely useful with so many workstations on site!

Provides a lot more than just deployment though and is a good all rounder for a lot of management tasks which helps to justify the licensing cost
    MSCE 2010 looks realy good. im downloading the RTM now. but from the info on there website I cant see any information about deploying O/S

Thanks

Thank Post
    Yeh it can be a bit unclear exactly what the product is and can do. If you go here and look at the 2nd table down comparing with the Configuration Manager 2007, it explains capabilities a lot better

Thank Post
    Oh... and don't ask why there's a blank entry in that table with ticks against it. Maybe a hidden functionality? lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenadsl View Post
    MSCE 2010 looks realy good. im downloading the RTM now. but from the info on there website I cant see any information about deploying O/S

Thanks
    Hi,

I found that the Microsoft website for the SCE 2010 wasn't very clear. I looked at the compare versions and SCE shows that it has less features then the other System Centre products but enough for use within a school environment. I too have also downloaded the RTM version and have got pricing on the product which is just getting into educational pricing channels now.

Thank Post
    how much?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    how much?
    Quotation was obtained from Ramesys, actually based in Nottingham. The costings aren't too bad for the software but again like most Microsoft Server type of products it is the CAL User/Device licence that costs. Our costings were about £105 SCE 2010 with SQL, SCE 2010 Management Licence £12.50 per device managing SCE, Client Management Licence slightly over £2 (works like CALs). The price may be different as these are specific to our school.

We are also looking at Configuration Manager 2007 this is more for distribution of software, OS deployment and packaging and is more than SCE2010 pricing not 100% sure of. The CAL licence I think was about £6 per device with the Configuration Manager being under £300.

Hope this helps with the how much?

Thank Post

Thumbs up Cool Software and OS Deployment

You should have a look at Specops Deploy It consists of two parts. Firstly, Application Deployment. This allows you to deploy both MSIs and legacy(exe/bat) files that can run silently. You can target your installation at 100s of different criteria, e.g. OUs/OS version/registry values/files/msi GUIDs... the list goes on! you can even target uses/groups/etc. The install of software can be scheduled into the future or done asap. The installation can occur during start-up or after the user has logged on! The system provides full feedback so you can see successful and failed installs(will details of the error the client experienced). The system uses a Client Side Extension to extend Microsoft's Group Policies so your software deployments are done within Group Policy's.

Secondly, OS deployment. They have written a 'wapper' for WDS and MDT 2010 to make deployment much easier and quicker! You can right click on a computer or OU in AD and click reinstall and you then select the WDS image to install, it will then restart the computer and install the selected image. All very cool and make life so much easier.

If you want to see it in action PM me. If you want the details of our account manager PM me and he should be able to sort out some discount.

Edd
    Last edited by teckedd; 23rd May 2010 at 01:11 AM.

Thank Post
    We are now using Specops OS Deploy to install Windows 7 and its going very well.

I have been talking to a couple of people who would like a demo of Specops OS and Application deployment. I work at a school located in Swindon and wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in attending a session about using Specops Deploy to install Windows and Deploy applications.

Edd
    Last edited by teckedd; 10th June 2010 at 07:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teckedd View Post
    We are now using Specops OS Deploy to install Windows 7 and its going very well.

I have been talking to a couple of people who would like a demo of Specops OS and Application deployment. I work at a school located in Swindon and wanted to see if anyone else would be interested in attending a session about using Specops Deploy to install Windows and Deploy applications.

Edd
    I took a look at the website - it looks great - asked for prices (out of curiosity, though if the price was right?) - even with educational discount at around £13 per desktop it isn't cheap and around four times the price I was offered on Altiris..
    I think it will have to be MDT2010 and WpkgExpress this year..

Thank Post
    You could keep it really simple and use winpe with gimagex free from MS. In about 20 mins you can have a bootable CD or USB drive that boots into a windows PE enviroment and you capture the image from this. You can download a drivers pack that supports most computers around today so no fafing around with drivers. Dell also do a driver pack for WinPE that supports all their machines.

If you want you can then add a desktop with other tools and utils.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carvjo View Post
    I took a look at the website - it looks great - asked for prices (out of curiosity, though if the price was right?) - even with educational discount at around £13 per desktop it isn't cheap and around four times the price I was offered on Altiris..
    I think it will have to be MDT2010 and WpkgExpress this year..
    That price is about right. You should be able to offset the cost of it against the technician time saved. I plan to have Windows 7 installed on 600+ computers in 3 days over the summer, all I need to do is right click on an OU and select reinstall, then send a WOL packet to the computer to turn them on. They should install the Windows 7 image I created followed by all the applications deployed to that location. Then we will just need to visit any that might fail.

What cost is did get quoted for Altiris, as I looked at this originally and it was more expensive. I just asked for a fresh price for Altiris OS and Application deployment and they want £17.63 per computer and you need an SQL server licence.

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post
    ..I was offered Altiris at about £4.50 per desktop - this was an upgrade price as we have Symantec Solution Suite.. I did tell them that I only paid £25 for the Solution Suite media and have no licensed workstations - but it made no difference - the salesman from Codework wanted to make a sale and said I could have upgrade pricing..
    I think I would go for Specops Deploy if I could get it at the right price as our work on MDT and the creation of installation packets with Prism Deploy Packer (for deployment with WpkgExpress) would still hold good.. Alan at Specops UK didn't seem to think there was a lot of room for movement on price though..

Thank Post
    I was in same situation about 2 month ago. And I was told about FOG, not a Linux user myself and I did managed to install it on CentOS with out much of the problem. FOG manuals give step by step guide - really easy to follow and when it is done, you do rest on web interface (no need knowledge of linux). I had bit of a problem with LinuxSE, but found on one forum how to disable it and it worked like charm. Now I have used it for more than 60 PCs and it is very easy to use and most important fast. I have image with windows xp and drivers, nothing else - it takes just above 1 minute to reimage workstation. All the rest of software is allocated after PC is joined to the domain. But you can any image you want, and make is like sysprep - so after reboot system will ask you standard windows install questions like computer name etc.
    Easy to use and you don't need to have skills in Linux to install it, really simple installation. My works on xenServer as VM - no probs

Thank Post
    Ref. my earlier posts - I decided to trial Specops Deploy to see how easy it really is and how much time it would save us over our home brewed solutions..

A simple cost-benefit analysis shows that it will save me more in time than the cost of the software (esp. as I can put off employing another technician).. I have placed an order!

I am happy enough to show it to anyone interested - I am in Oxford..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast