+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Nub requiring some help in Technical; Hello all! Im probably going to catch some brown stuff for posting this but im at a loss with WDS ...
    Thank Post

Nub requiring some help

Hello all!

Im probably going to catch some brown stuff for posting this but im at a loss with WDS really.

Anyway, i have read microsofts supposed step by step guide on how to setup WDS, now i have it installed on a server, and i downloaded the AIK which supposedly had the install.wim and boot.wim files (it only had the boot.wim file).

Few things im stuck on, do i _need_ to have the install.wim image or can i just create one?

how do i actually create an image? i have installed the AIK on my laptop but i dont clearly see how to create an image.

I have had a machine boot over the network using the boot.wim file but when it boots i just get a command prompt and nothing else

I worked out how to do the sysprep stuff so on that point im ready to run the creation of the image but as ive said above im a bit stuck on where to go from there

Im wanting to deploy windows xp over the network using WDS, i have 5 schools that could benefit from this especially if we had images ready to go =-)

My apologies for being such a nub, havent had a LOT of time to research this properly and i thought id come ask the people in the know =-)
    Last edited by witch; 22nd March 2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: language

Thank Post
    the install.wim is needed to install everything from Vista onwards (Vista, 2008, Windows 7, 2008 R2)

There is no Install.wim for XP

However, you do still need the boot.wim to create the capture boot image (for uploading sysprep'd images to WDS)

If you are planning to install XP via WDS, then you will need the Deployment Toolkit (MDT 2010 is the latest) - bit of work needed to get it going but basically MDT allows you to deploy XP via WDS by creating a new boot.wim that then points to your MDT installs..
    Well worth looking at MDT as you can create task Sequences that will auto isntall XP with necessary drivers for a specific PC, as well as install softwre such as office...

Thank Post
    Thanks for that, im looking into downloading it and such now.

The high school by me is pushing XP images via WDS from what i have been told they dont use this MDT thing but then again they have no clue as some external company set up the servers.

Installed the MDT thing on my server now and am just messing with it.

Thank Post
    If an existing RIS server is installed then WDS can be setup in Mixed Mode, allowing XP images to be rolled out via RIS - but would recommend the WDS / MDT scenario as its much more flexible and drviers can be injected easier, also you can have different tasks for different Makes and Models , or Roles, etc...

Thank Post
    never used RIS so it wasnt installed, have setup WDS in native mode and didnt know you couldnt push xp images so thats why i started setting it up, im setting up MDT now.

Quick question though, is this MDT used to deploy images or setup machines on the fly? id much rather just setup the image with everything it needs and let it run over the network than have it setup the os, then copy drivers & apps to install etc etc

Thank Post
    Use MDT to initially set the PC up "on the fly" then sysprep it and you can then use WDS to capture/deploy the Image to other PCs....

Thank Post
    i see, thanks for that.

Back to my initial question of how you capture the file in a .wim though?

Thank Post
    Install the Boot.WIM file from either a Vista/7 or 2008/R2 DVD (x:\Sources\boot.wim) into the boot Images folder in WDS - I usually rename it to "Deploy Image"
    Right Click the newly imported boot image and choose - Create Capture Image (again I rename it to "Capture New Image"
    Now, when you press F12 on a PC, you will see a menu with 2 options

Deploy Image
    Capture New Image

Sysprep your XP Machine once your happy with it
    When It reboots, choose Capture New Image and follow the wizard

Main steps are to
    chose the drive that you sysprep'd (eg C: - Only sysprep'd drives will show up here)
    Save the WIM file locally and specify the WDS Server & ImageGroup to upload it to...
    Capture/Upload of the Image file

Thank Post
    I think i have the wrong boot image, i did as you said but the same thing happens, a vista ish background and then a command prompt with wpeinit being executed, nothing happens however

suppose id best find a boot image from an actual dvd not the AIK

Thank Post
    yeah it needs to be the Boot.wim for an OS DVD not the WAIK as that is just WinPE..

Thank Post
    Hey Guys

Sorry to dig this one up again but im finally finding a few hours to play with this.

I got a install.wim and boot.wim from a win7 pro disc from the local high school.

Regarding sysprep, can i use it on machines that are already configured on the domain with av and stuff? will it interfere with any settings etc? just making the capture image as you mentioned now and im going to try and run sysprep on a machine then capture it.

Thank Post
    Another quick question for you guys too.

I have captured an image and have it stored in WDS, my question is, how can i edit the image and put other drivers into it for deployment to machines that are different?

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread