+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, FTP connection to Storage Server has failed! in Technical; Hi chaps I wonder if anybody in the know might be able to point me in the right direction with ...
    Thank Post

FTP connection to Storage Server has failed!

Hi chaps

I wonder if anybody in the know might be able to point me in the right direction with this one.

We recently stuck some new hard drives in our Fog server. Mike did a fresh install of Debian Lenny and then restored the data and mysql database from our backup server.

Everything the Fog server has to do works great apart from one thing, we can't upload images... but it only fails on the last 1%! From what I have observed it will create the image in the /images/dev/ directory but then cannot move and rename the image, reporting on the screen of the client "FTP connection to Storage Server has failed!"

I have checked that Fog has the correct FTP login on the settings page, and I can connect to the server using this login and an FTP client without any difficulty. It does seem clear to me that Fog *can* access the FTP server because it manages to upload all of the data; if I manually move and rename the image file it creates then it will deploy without issue.

If anyone has any idea what it is I'm missing please let me know... I've spent a couple of hours asking google questions and not finding the answer!

Thank Post
    Sounds like the fog user doesn't have permission to move the image file, for diagnostics you could just do a 777 on images and images/dev and see if that works.

Thank Post
    Yeh, I thought of that. Didn't make any difference

Thank Post
    The one time I did have an FTP quirk I did manage to fix it by resetting all the passwords in configuration files, fog user, storage nodes, everywhere I could find a password. That was going wrong at the start of the image write though, not at the end.

Thank Post
    Ok. Yeah, you're right that's not what's happening for me.

I don't have a clue what's going on

Thank Post
    Adding Storage to a FOG Server - FOGWiki

Did you create the mntcheck files etc?

I followed the instructions on this page when having similar issues and it worked

Thank Post
    Aren't the mount check files for NFS?

Thank Post
    I had this same problem today, I was testing a workstation so I tried to upload a 25GB CC3 workstation (probably had hidden recovery partitions and such in there too). I left it resizing the image, when I came back I was getting FTP errors moving the temp image file.

I deployed one of my normal fog images to it, then uploaded it back to the same image I was using before, no error.

Were you trying to upload a standard-ish image without recovery/backup partitions?

Thank Post
    We're having problems with every image... it's not the images, it's something else.

I received a distress call via email today:
    Hi Batman. I came across your post re FOG and ftp problem. I'm having exactly the same issue right now after changing my storage hard drive. I'm desperately trying to image a bunch of laptops tonight ready to put away again tomorrow. With the site manager tapping his feet and watch, would you be able to advise as to how to manually move the image from its temporary location and get stuff deployed
    As I have figured out how to do this I thought I'd share with everyone.

If you look under /images/dev/ you will find some temp image files. If it's single partition then you're just talking one file, if it's multi-partition there will be a directory containing the image files. I'm pretty sure the file or directory will be named with the mac address of the machine you used to upload it. All you've got to do is rename it to whatever FOG thinks the image filename should be and move it down one level to the /images/ directory.

So you'll do something along the lines of:
    cd /images/dev/
    mv 001D0917E9BF ../hpdc7800windows7

where 001D0917E9BF is the temp filename and hpdc7800windows7 is the intended filename of the image.

It doesn't stop it falling over but at least you can use the image!

10. 2 Thanks to Batman:

lasercat (19th February 2010), mikeglover (22nd February 2010)

Thank Post

Any news yet?

I'm in the same boat as Batman, the exact same error. I have one FOG server set up perfectly, and am trying to make a second one on a better box to replace it. The only possible suspects I can think of is that I made /image before installing fog, although have chmod'd . and dev/ 777, and an IP address change, which I thoroughly replaced everywhere.

Thank Post
    I moved servers when I was on version 0.25 I think, and also had the /images directory set up before hand as it was on a different set of drives. I had numerous issues after doing this (password mismatches, no .mntcheck files, TFTP errors when trying to update the boot menu). I wish I had documented everything that I had broken and then how it was fixed but it was over a year ago and I can't remember.

You could try removing the FOG user from the OS and then rerunning the FOG installer to recreate it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    I moved servers when I was on version 0.25 I think, and also had the /images directory set up before hand as it was on a different set of drives. I had numerous issues after doing this (password mismatches, no .mntcheck files, TFTP errors when trying to update the boot menu). I wish I had documented everything that I had broken and then how it was fixed but it was over a year ago and I can't remember.

You could try removing the FOG user from the OS and then rerunning the FOG installer to recreate it.
    I get that. I've given up and am reinstalling from scratch, and this time I'm documenting everything from installing Ubuntu and up, both to document errors for myself, and as a guide to whomever might inherit this beast.

P.S. I know this is off topic from the original thread subject, but has anyone used NIC bonding with FOG?

Thank Post
    I shifted ours to a XenServer VM, it makes it really easy to recover from problems after fiddling with it or after running the latest update. Would probably make it easier to set up NIC bonding as you would set that up in the virtual machine environment not directly within the machine itself.

Thank Post

FTP connection to Storage Server has failed! - Solved

Quote Originally Posted by Atex View Post
    I get that. I've given up and am reinstalling from scratch, and this time I'm documenting everything from installing Ubuntu and up, both to document errors for myself, and as a guide to whomever might inherit this beast.

P.S. I know this is off topic from the original thread subject, but has anyone used NIC bonding with FOG?
    I'm just begining with FOG (just found it) and installed version 0,28. I could not get 0.29 to work as it gave me an gettext and clamav-update error.

But, as i end up reading an old tutorial, i created the fog user in linux prior to installing fog software . After installing it i noticed that it creates this user if it doesn't exist. So, i think that when migrating servers this problem also arises as the password in the database will not match.

So, this FTP password is not in "other information menu". Here resides the TFTP password that also needs to be changed in order to set tasks as upload or download images.

FTP password, on the other hand, is on "storage management" menu. In my case i only have the default storage set so just edit it and change the FTP password.

Hope it can help.

Thanks for all those who created and maintain this excellent software.

Best Regards

Thank Post
    I had this same problem earlier today. I reset the DefaultMember node password under the Storage Nodes > All Storage Nodes Menu. Worked fine for me after that, hope it helps you too. Good luck!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread