+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
O/S Deployment Thread, netdom driving me insane in Technical; Sorry to change the direction slightly- I am new to FOG and I just wanted to ask for your opinion- ...

Thank Post
    Sorry to change the direction slightly-
    I am new to FOG and I just wanted to ask for your opinion- how does it compare to MS WDS MTD when it comes to using it with win7. I am currently using symantec ghost and We will be deploying win7 in a couple of months time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank Post
    At the moment the FOG service doesn't work 100% with Windows 7, it is apparently getting update within the next couple of releases to add better support for this OS. In it's current state with the extra features it offers using the service I would say it's the best way to deploy Windows XP. If you are looking to go to Windows 7 in a couple of months it will do the imaging, but you'll have to sort getting a universal image together that will work on all your hardware - something like this may be easier to create and update with WDS / MDT2010.

Personally I've ended up using using a lot of extra features in FOG like printer managment, screen resolution changing, inventory, and using snapins it does all of our software installation. Moving from FOG means replacing all of this functionality and somewhat de-centralising the management tools so even if Windows 7 with FOG is more work in terms of the actual imaging it might be worth sticking with it.

You could try both at once and see which fits best, if you run DHCP client groups and enter the MAC addresses of some PCs you can set PXE boot options to force a boot from the FOG server rather than WDS.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    On the 'Fog Settings' page I've entered

FOG_AD_DEFAULT_DOMAINNAME: school.internal
    FOG_AD_DEFAULT_OU: -I leave this blank-
    FOG_AD_DEFAULT_USER: school\FogADUserAccount
    FOG_AD_DEFAULT_PASSWORD: -here you paste in the output from the fog password encryptor-

Now when registering the client either check the box in the user interface next to 'Join Domain after image task', the other boxes will populate with the default values, or the same thing will happen if you register the computer through the PXE boot menu, just answer 'y' at the appropriate point.

I thought the active directory join was broken on my system but in actual fact I had just forgotten to check the box in the user interface. For debugging check the output of the log file in C:\fog.log.
    How do you use the FOG Encryptor??

Thank Post
    It's in the tar file that you download and you run it on a windows computer to convert your password to an encrypyted one. There are instructions here along with notes on making the encyption more secure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by morganw View Post
    At the moment the FOG service doesn't work 100% with Windows 7, it is apparently getting update within the next couple of releases to add better support for this OS. In it's current state with the extra features it offers using the service I would say it's the best way to deploy Windows XP. If you are looking to go to Windows 7 in a couple of months it will do the imaging, but you'll have to sort getting a universal image together that will work on all your hardware - something like this may be easier to create and update with WDS / MDT2010.

Personally I've ended up using using a lot of extra features in FOG like printer managment, screen resolution changing, inventory, and using snapins it does all of our software installation. Moving from FOG means replacing all of this functionality and somewhat de-centralising the management tools so even if Windows 7 with FOG is more work in terms of the actual imaging it might be worth sticking with it.

You could try both at once and see which fits best, if you run DHCP client groups and enter the MAC addresses of some PCs you can set PXE boot options to force a boot from the FOG server rather than WDS.
    Hi morganw, thanks for your input on this and it definetly sounds like Fog is worth a shot. I will keep posted soon. Thanks.

Thank Post
    This thread is a bit old, but I'll give this a bash....

I have FOG changing the hostname no problem, but it doesn't seem to want to add the host to the domain. I'm not sure WHEN FOG actually tries to do this. Is there anything you would suggest looking at? I'm using the encrypted password and the FQDN.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    This thread is a bit old, but I'll give this a bash....

I have FOG changing the hostname no problem, but it doesn't seem to want to add the host to the domain. I'm not sure WHEN FOG actually tries to do this. Is there anything you would suggest looking at? I'm using the encrypted password and the FQDN.
    The FOG Service (you did include it in your image didn't you?) will make the change after imaging a computer, generally within a minute or two after the client boots. It only does this once, it won't keep trying to join. Before you uploaded the image the FOG Service should have been installed and the FOG server IP entered into the client. You don't need netdom with newer versions of FOG. Make sure you have followed the FOGCrypt instructions to set up the AD section on the server with hashed password. Some people (myself included) ran into trouble with the backslash in "domain\user" being stripped out. To fix this I had to use "domain\\user". I think this was fixed in a recent version IIRC.

Hope some of these random thoughts help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obijon View Post
    The FOG Service (you did include it in your image didn't you?) will make the change after imaging a computer, generally within a minute or two after the client boots. It only does this once, it won't keep trying to join. Before you uploaded the image the FOG Service should have been installed and the FOG server IP entered into the client. You don't need netdom with newer versions of FOG. Make sure you have followed the FOGCrypt instructions to set up the AD section on the server with hashed password. Some people (myself included) ran into trouble with the backslash in "domain\user" being stripped out. To fix this I had to use "domain\\user". I think this was fixed in a recent version IIRC.

Hope some of these random thoughts help.
    I can put a big tick next to all of those points, apart from the double slashes. How will I know if this is causing an issue?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sven View Post
    I can put a big tick next to all of those points, apart from the double slashes. How will I know if this is causing an issue?
    Check that magic_quotes is set to off in your php.ini file

for Ubuntu, this file is found at /etc/php/apache2/php.ini

Look in the fog.log on the PC and see what errors are reported by the hostnamechanger module. You may need to increase the size of the log file which you can do by tweaking the ini file in (from memory) program files\fog\etc\

Thank Post
    I found the following in the fog.log:

24/05/2011 16:09 FOG::HostnameChanger Hostname is up to date
    24/05/2011 16:09 FOG::HostnameChanger Attempting to join domain if not already a member....
    24/05/2011 16:09 FOG::HostnameChanger Domain Error! ('Unknown Error' Code: 87)

Thank Post
    Code 87 is a very unhelpful "The parameter is incorrect".

Is your OU field blank?
    Make sure there are no trailing spaces at the end of any of the AD fields in FOG, I've seen that catch folk out before.

Thank Post
    I have been leaving the OU fields blank until I can actually get it to join the domain. I don't have any trailing spaces on any of the credentials. Really starting to bamboozle me now. I'm going to go home and relax before I throw something out a window. I appreciate your help on this.

Oh, if I take out the double slashes in the AD credentials in the FOG settings and the host settings, I get a different error:

24/05/2011 16:28 FOG::HostnameChanger AD mode requested, confirming settings.
    24/05/2011 16:28 FOG::HostnameChanger Hostname is up to date
    24/05/2011 16:28 FOG::HostnameChanger Attempting to join domain if not already a member....
    24/05/2011 16:28 FOG::HostnameChanger Domain Error! ('Bad Netpath' Code: 53)
    Last edited by sven; 24th May 2011 at 04:30 PM.

Thank Post
    The hostname settings should be copied from the default ones when you tick the "jojn AD" box but I've seen FOG "remember" the old host settings before (they're actually stored against each host in one of the tables). Try blanking all the domain boxes against the host, then unticking thejoin domain, then save. Then if you tick join domain again it should pull through the global settings.

I'd leave the username as domain\username (with domain in short name-only format) and make sure magic quotes is off in the php.ini file (restart apache if you make a change, assuming you're on a Linux box - don't know about the windows server setup)

14. Thanks to Chad from:

sven (25th May 2011)

Thank Post
    btw, FOG doesn't give friendly test for some of the error codes, here's a few return values and what they mean:

5 = "Access is denied"
    87 = "The parameter is incorrect"
    110 = "The system cannot open the specified object"
    1323 = "Unable to update the password"
    1326 = "Logon failure: unknown username or bad password"
    1355 = "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted"
    2224 = "The account already exists"
    2691 = "The machine is already joined to the domain"
    2692 = "The machine is not currently joined to a domain"

Thank Post
    Right, I've come in freshed face this morning, and looked at this from top to bottom. RESULT!

The "unknown parameter" error was because cause by the client being pointed to the wrong gateway. Once I changed the client back to DHCP, it worked straight away. No idea how I overlooked it, but I did. Thankyou so much for your help and suggestions. I'm only testing this at the moment, as I'll be putting together a new server and implementing this over summer in the IT rooms. This has been invaluable!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12