+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Windows XP Unattended Deployment in Technical; Good evening, I come to you with a slightly largish question - I have just began work in a new ...

Thank Post

Windows XP Unattended Deployment

Good evening,

I come to you with a slightly largish question - I have just began work in a new company, and have been tasked with the task of deploying/rolling out a number of OS's on a number of DIFFERENT machines company wide (100+).

I have spent the last 3 days setting up a brand new server which will be used as a WSUS, Symantec End Point Manager and WDS server - everything has gone swimmingly with help from a number of threads by users across this site (thanks!) - but now comes to point of customisation where I am all ears.

My perfect idea (Not necessarily going to be achieved, but this is what I would like to get it as close to as possible with your guidance):

Employee workstations will require Windows XP (soon to be Windows 7 once our Applications Development team ports across more software) - we currently have a Volume License Key and are obviously be required to join a Domain (Active Directory centralised). I also (if possible) do not want any additional accounts made (Just the usual Administrator) since its being added to a Domain.

The tricky parts are as follows; The computer name is UNIQUE to each PC (Obviously) and relates to an Asset sticker on the PC/Notebook itself - for example PC-[LOCATION]-[Asset No.], the machine will then need to be added to our Domain and the Volume License Key be added. Now the Domain and Product Key is fine, but the problems I foresee will be the 'Computer Name'.

I will be happy to have everything automated APART from the Computer Name which will prompt a popup for me to enter (we'll one of my I.T. Junkies :P) and for the usual additional account creation to bugger off - is this at all possible?
    We also deal with Clients (Obviously being a business) in which we send out per-configured Thin Clients - at the moment we currently image each manually by plugging as USB into the desired PC and running the following .bat file:

Code:
    RDEPLOY.EXE -noprompt -md -f BLAH.img -d2 -sz1:100p -restoresig
    It then continues to install XP Embedded and launches a number of "On 1st Boot" applications which gather information pertaining to Computer Name etc,

My question is - can I go about capturing the image through WDS and still have those "On 1st Boot" applications run as per usual? I won't be missing out on anything from that .bat if I capture through WDS ethier will I?
    As a side-note: The server is currently running W2K3 Server - we are looking at upgrading to 2008 R2 soon'ish - if you believe that this will make the above process easier/quicker please inform me and I may be able to convince my boss to do it sooner than later. Also if you believe that WDS is not the way to go about things, I am completely open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time - looking forward to hearing back,
    Jack
    Last edited by Jack_F; 27th January 2010 at 10:18 AM.

Thank Post
    Well after the last week, I have successfully been able to Image a bunch of Compaq 5730's HOWEVER the following issues/problems occur:

1. When I try to image a DIFFERENT type of PC I run into ethier:

Windows cannot access the installation source...
    or

An error before it even boots into Boot.wim
    I have no idea how to resolve this one...

2. If I leave Computer Name blank, it is not prompting the user to enter a Computer Name (This is what I want to happen), inside it is using my Servers' Domain login Username...

3. Nothing I do will make it join our Domain at work.

Ideas?

Thank Post
    Windows cannot access the installation source...
    Have you checked that the Reminst share on the WDS server has permissions for everyone to read?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamchapman View Post
    Have you checked that the Reminst share on the WDS server has permissions for everyone to read?
    I have indeed, but as you can see from my previous post, I have installed about 15+ HP 5720 machines perfectly fine...

Thank Post
    The "Windows cannot access the installation source..." error looks like a network card driver issue to me. Have you checked if the image has access to a driver that supports the network card 'exactly'? I've had so many issues over the years with 'slightly' incompatible drivers especially Realtek and Intel.

Thank Post
    TBH, I hadn't added ANY drivers to the sysprep - I guess I was just lucky.

I came across News | DriverPacks.net which looks promising for WDS deployment, so going to re-capture new image and hope for the best.

One question I do have relates to my above post. I really would like to have Computer Name prompted for during installation as each PC has a unique Asset Tag, and would also love to have them join our Domain here at work.

Nothing I've entered has worked - ideas?

7. Thanks to Jack_F from:

adamchapman (7th February 2010)

Thank Post
    It might be worth posting in the WDS sticky thread there's quite a few using WDS there and i've seen this issue discussed.

Tips for beginners

Thank Post
    " I really would like to have Computer Name prompted for during installation as each PC has a unique Asset Tag, and would also love to have them join our Domain here at work. "

I use sysprep and leave the machine name blank which should then prompt you to enter one.

you can also specify the domain name and a user and pass to use.

Have a look here for a start... use the configmgr to create the file then tweak in notepad if needed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread