Not sure if any of you have tried this yet but it works a treat

I have managed to create a Custom WIM file for our laptops, whcih contains all our Applications, settings, drivers, etc and burn it to DVD(s)

Its actually fairly easy to do..

1. Create your base image on the laptop with all drivers, apps, etc
  2. Create a new admin user (I use the name "audit") and a password
  3. Make sure the local admin account is enabled and you know the password
  4. Sysprep the PC into Audit Mode with the Generalize option and reboot (Audit Mode helps preserve the drivers)
  5. When the PC reboots it will be in Audit Mode, you can make any last minute changes here
  6. Once you are sure everything is as it should be, run sysprep again but this time choose OOBE and Generalize then reboot
Now, I use WDS to capture the image, but I belive you can use WinPE to run imagex. Use whichever method to create your WIM file locally.

Once completed reboot the laptop, run mini setup and copy the WIM file to wherever you have the WAIK installed

Follow these instructions for creating a spanned DVD.. (Link)

To create a spanned media on DVD

The Createspannedshares script does not split media to DVD. To manually replicate the script process, follow these steps:
  1. Create a source directory on your technician computer. For example, create the following directory.
    Code:
    C:\span\source
  2. Copy the content of the Windows product DVD to the Source directory.
  3. In Windows Explorer, right-click the \Source folder, click s, and then clear the Read-only check box. This removes the Read-only attribute on all files.
  4. At a command prompt, split the Install.wim file using ImageX. Because DVDs hold from 4.7 to 8.5 gigabytes (GB), specify a larger size for each split .wim file than the Createspannedshares script creates. For example, the following command creates 4 GB files.
    Code:
    imagex /split C:\span\source\sources\install.wim C:\span\install.swm 3000
  5. Determine how many .swm files were created in Step 4, and create new folders for each file. For example, if two .swm files were created, you would create the following directory, leaving the subdirectories intact:
    Code:
    C:\span\DVD2\sources
  6. Delete c:\span\DVD1\source\sources\install.wim.
  7. Copy Install1.swm into c:\span\DVD1\source\ and Install2.swm into c:\span\dvd2\source\.
  8. Create an image (.iso) file for each subfolder, and burn each one to an individual DVD-ROM. To make the first DVD-ROM bootable, use the Oscdimg tool and the appropriate boot sector file (Etfsboot.com for x86-based and AMD 64-based computers, and Efisys.bin for Itanium-based). For example, for x86-based computers,
    Code:
    oscdimg -n -m -b"C:\Program Files\<version> \Tools\PETools\x86\boot\etfsboot.com" C:\span\Windows\CD1 C:\span\Windows\CD1.iso
    where <version> can be Windows OPK or Windows AIK.