+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
O/S Deployment Thread, What do you image? (Apps wise) in Technical; Okay - here is where I am. The image now only contains: Windows XP(SP3) fully patched QuickTime (Latest version) Java ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Okay - here is where I am.

The image now only contains:

• Windows XP(SP3) fully patched
    • QuickTime (Latest version)
    • Java (Latest version from java.com)
    • Adobe Creative Suite Master Edition CS3 (that really pushes the image size up)
    • Sibelius 5 + Associated Software (due to issues with the msi file)

Using Advanced Installer Pro I managed to repackage:

• VLC Media Player 1.03
    • Gantt Project
    • Edraw MindMaps

I licenced:

• Adobe Flash Player - so downloaded the msi
    • Adobe Shockwave Player - downloaded the msi
    • Adobe Reader 9.0 and used the configuration tool

Everything else is based on GPO and msi stuff. WSUS then updates Office 2003 to SP3. We are due to go Office 2007 quite soon so I didn't bother slipstreaming Sp3 into the admin install of Office 2003.

I wish CS3 was a lot easier to install. It's a shame Adobe didn't sort something out. Sibelius have also been very lazy with their msi and will not go back to look at it.

So thanks everyone. My WDS server is working. Images are being deployed using a sysprep.inf and an unattend.xml file. At the moment I am chuffted.

Now to begin the R&D on how to deploy Windows 7 using MDT2010 (can that do XP as well with the .wim images I already have?)

Thanks again,

Gareth

Thank Post
    I don't think browser plugins are that good in an image because they change a *lot* and usually, amongst other things, to fix actively exploited security vulnerabilities:

Acrobat 9.0 = vulnerable, it's 9.3 this week... does that Shockwave version end in .606 coz that's now the latest.. and so on.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 20th January 2010 at 11:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    I don't think browser plugins are that good in an image because they change a *lot* and usually, amongst other things, to fix actively exploited security vulnerabilities:

Acrobat 9.0 = vulnerable, it's 9.3 this week... does that Shockwave version end in .606 coz that's now the latest.. and so on.
    Yes I agree - that is what we were thinking. However I doubt we will spend time upgrading them every time a new version comes out. If they work then that is fine for now.

Acrobat at the moment - the downloadable .exe is only 9.0 so that is a bit annoying. Or it was yesterday :-)

GJE

Thank Post
    We apply all basic software packages as I personally don't use GPO/MSIs to install programs remotely. To be honest, it's the only thing I need to teach myself and more than likely will start to learn it over the next holidays.

We've got...

• Office 2007 (+SP3)
    • Adobe CS3 (+Updates when image created)
    • LanSchool (only on IT suite specific workstations)
    • Java
    • Audacity
    • Realplayer
    • Quicktime
    • Solidworks 2008
    • Drivers that relate to type of image (a god send when having multiple hardware covering different IT suites!)

I've left Sophos off that list as I now can effectively deploy it remotely using GPOs to correct the services that don't start by default. WSUS covers all the Office + OS updates (however I test updates on a virtual machines before deploying to all workstations).

The image also creates a local admin account and sorts out all the setup process so we get straight to the logon box after deploying the image. Makes it easier to then domainise the workstation and complete a whole room in no time.

I'm glad we went to Vista as an early adopter (even though most of you will say it was crazy in an education environment!) to learn and tweak the whole process.

NB: Next to learn a Mac deployment process
    Last edited by Tunster; 21st January 2010 at 11:45 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    quicktime via gpo is reasonably reliable its just a pain to get going in the first place but as said i wish i could manage without it same as itunes can be msi deployed (dont ask one of my schools has a head whos a mac man and uses it for something or other). Java as long as you diable webstart service is usually fine as well i just have a habbit of getting one version sorted in time for 2 days later the next minor revision to be out. My biggest annoyance is that office 2003 is great via gpo office 07 i gave up and scripted what a backwards step m$ thankyou
    Just seen this in action. Java has gone up to Update 18 overnight :-(

GJE

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post
    Just seen this in action. Java has gone up to Update 18 overnight :-(
    Did that a bit earlier for me, but .. before you start packaging anything like this it's usually worth a quick trip to FileHippo to see what the latest versions are. Alternatively I sometimes fire up Secunia PSI on my home machine which tells me about out of date and/or insecure (with details) stuff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123