+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
O/S Deployment Thread, What do you image? (Apps wise) in Technical; Can anyone mail me the Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard Cheers - vinvision is down. I htought I would take a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone mail me the
    Windows Installer Wrapper Wizard

Cheers - vinvision is down. I htought I would take a look

GJE

Thank Post
    There's a 'backup' copy on this page together with a walkthrough wrapping Firefox

3. Thanks to PiqueABoo from:

garethedmondson (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link.

The good news is we purchased Advanced Installer today so I was able to repackage quite easily with the Pro version.

I've now got the apps I need done. Excellent application.

Gareth

Thank Post
    We put everything in the image - i dont see the point in deploying stuff via group policy as this majorly increases the time it takes for one of our technicians to reimage a machine - first they would have to reimage, second join to ad, place in correct ou, and then wait for the machine to pickup the policy and install the software.

If everything is already on the image just a case of reimaging joining to ad and away you go...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrunt View Post
    We put everything in the image - i dont see the point in deploying stuff via group policy as this majorly increases the time it takes for one of our technicians to reimage a machine
    I used to think like that but I must admit I am now a convert to GPO software deployment. Rather than having 10's of different images with different software combinations for different models in different department I know have 1 base image of each model.
    It's now much easier for me to redeploy a model to a different department, control which departments get which software and manage software upgrades beyond the lifespan of the images.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We put everything in the image - i dont see the point in deploying stuff via group policy as this majorly increases the time it takes for one of our technicians to reimage a machine - first they would have to reimage, second join to ad, place in correct ou, and then wait for the machine to pickup the policy and install the software.
    Depends on what imaging process you are using, SCCM/WDS/WDT and FOG can easily be set to join the domain during imaging and prestaging can put the machine in the correct OU, set policies and install software, then there is no need to do all this manually.

Thank Post

If everything is already on the image just a case of reimaging joining to ad and away you go...
    And keeping the software up to date? Deploying over GPO allows easy uninstall of old versions and installation of new versions should a patch come out, like say Adobe Reader 9.3.

I have the GPO at the top level of my OU and then specify which software gets installed to which computer by hostname. Then following a re-image or machine replacement, the user gets the software they need.
    Using Group Policy to deploy software to select computers - 404 Tech Support

9. Thanks to shrapnel09 from:

garethedmondson (19th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well what we have decided is to get the main OS installed and patched.

The software which cannot be installed via GPO will be going on. Creative Suite CS3 is going on because... it just is - it takes ages to install of a network drive later.

Sibelius 5 and it's associated programs are going on due to there being a problem with the msi. They know about it, but I cannot be bothered to chase it up.

Everything else is msi'ed up.

Now I am trying the image. Having problems with my sysprep file at the moment and with the image not restarting into the domain. It joins but doesn't put up the logon screen unless I manually restart it.

Weird - time to read the WDS thread.

Gareth

Thank Post
    In honesty I think you should stick with what you're already doing more or less.

If something is a real nuisance to install across a network via GPO (or has no silent switch for the exe) stick it on the image and hope the app doesn't have frequent updates.

If something is updated often and works via GPO then do it that way.

I'd also say decide on what to include App by App. It might seem a bit strange but try to look at it from the point of view of what the software needs or can / can't do rather than from the "I'm a techie it's easiest to do this" point of view. Start by listing your apps and whether they do or don't install via GPO, can they be installed silently, what are they like to update, where are they needed. Then use this list to work out what goes on the image and what gets deployed.

12. Thanks to superfletch from:

garethedmondson (20th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel09 View Post
    And keeping the software up to date? Deploying over GPO allows easy uninstall of old versions and installation of new versions should a patch come out, like say Adobe Reader 9.3.

I have the GPO at the top level of my OU and then specify which software gets installed to which computer by hostname. Then following a re-image or machine replacement, the user gets the software they need.
    Using Group Policy to deploy software to select computers - 404 Tech Support
    The problem is when the software doesn't just deploy from group policy. The things I really want to keep up to date just don't deploy properly from their distributable msi files. Quicktime, Flash and Acrobat are often unpredictable even on identical machines. If I could trust them to just work then I would!

I do have other applications that work perfectly from MSI, and upgrade/remote etc fine.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Windows & Latest Patches, IE (7 at the moment)

Office & Latest Patches

All Kartouche Software

All 2Simple Software

Crocodile Clips Elementry

Genie Vision Drivers

CraftRobo Drivers & Software

PTC Pro

SIMS (When can we have a decent installer?)

Clicker 5 (Really should work as it's an MSI, but doesn't want to)

That's about it.

I don't tend to deploy service packs, i'd rather wait until the summer and have new images.

Basically it's anything that won't ever get updated without incuring a cost. I can script an unistall if needed and then push out the updated app normally.

I use SpecOps, so legacy packages are not a problem, even then, the rest of the softwares deployment takes about an hour.

Sophos needs prompting to deploy through the enterprise console.

And voila, a nice newly imaged desktop.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    The problem is when the software doesn't just deploy from group policy. The things I really want to keep up to date just don't deploy properly from their distributable msi files. Quicktime, Flash and Acrobat are often unpredictable even on identical machines. If I could trust them to just work then I would!

I do have other applications that work perfectly from MSI, and upgrade/remote etc fine.
    Agree with Quicktime, but have you signed up to adobe for a distribution licence, you get Flash and Shockwave in nice MSI files - Java can be done easily as well.

As for Acrobat, I gave up with it after it stupidly always forgot it's file association in version 9.0. There were loads of other instances of this of the web, but my answer from Adobe was 'it's not a priority to fix'. I use Foxit now, comes as an MSI.

Unless anyone knows better with adobe, then I'll move back to it.

Thank Post
    I've had great success deploying Java following these steps:
    Deploying Java through Group Policy and Java RE Improvements - 404 Tech Support

Flash has also been very reliable for me along with Adobe Reader. Acrobat on the other hand... having troubles with 9.3 right now.

I wish Quicktime would die in a fire.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shrapnel09 View Post

I wish Quicktime would die in a fire.
    LOL, that cheered me up.

Thank Post
    quicktime via gpo is reasonably reliable its just a pain to get going in the first place but as said i wish i could manage without it same as itunes can be msi deployed (dont ask one of my schools has a head whos a mac man and uses it for something or other). Java as long as you diable webstart service is usually fine as well i just have a habbit of getting one version sorted in time for 2 days later the next minor revision to be out. My biggest annoyance is that office 2003 is great via gpo office 07 i gave up and scripted what a backwards step m$ thankyou

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast