+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, GPXE Help in Technical; Hi guys. Setup a FOG server a while ago but have some ancient RM machines which I want to use ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy GPXE Help

Hi guys.

Setup a FOG server a while ago but have some ancient RM machines which I want to use FOG on as well

I understand that I need to use something like GPXE/Etherboot as these machines don't support PXE but I am having a nightmare trying to get it to work and the GPXE documentation is written for someone who knows Linux better than me

I've downloaded the pre-build floppy .dsk
    Copied it to the desktop
    formatted my floppy with Windows (didn't know how to do it with Linux until 5 mins ago)
    Figured out where in /dev the floopy lives (/dev/sdb)
    cd Desktop
    sudo dd if=gpxe.dsk of=/dev/sdb

Says it's successful so eject the disk and plug it in to a machine and all I get is "Loading ROM image...................." and then it just sits there

<Edit>
    Also tried formatting it in Linux (Ubuntu 9.10) as FAT and as EXT3. FAT made no difference, EXT3 crashed needing another re-format!

When dd'ing, the result I get is:
    Code:
    521+0 records in
    521+0 records out
    266752 bytes (267 kB) copied 29.2208 s, 9.1 kB/s
    </edit>

<Edit 2>
    Managed to get the CD version working on my test machine so not a problem with the machine but I don't want to have to carry a USB CD drive around with me when I can carry a plain old USB Floppy drive or Netac USB Key with floppy emulation!
    </edit 2>

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    Last edited by pnlrogue1; 13th January 2010 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Added more info

Thank Post

Lightbulb Fixed it!

Finally got it working - one site told me to dismount the floppy after finding out what it's /dev entry was. I decided to ignore this and try
    Code:
    dd if=gpxe.dsk of=/media/gpxe
    which was, unsurprisingly, unsuccessful, but then I tried
    Code:
    dd if=gpxe.dsk of=/dev/sdb
    and it worked!

Moral of this story: Just because one website says dismount the thing you're trying to write to, doesn't mean that they're right...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information