+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Deploying the O/S in Technical; Hi. We have our network setup just the way we like it with packages on the computers and policies applied ...
    Thank Post

Question Deploying the O/S

Hi.

We have our network setup just the way we like it with packages on the computers and policies applied and we are happy with it. The next thing I am looking at is building the workstations.

I am new to this. I have worked on an RM CC3 Network in the past and like the idea of how they are built. Can this be done on a Vanilla Solution, so say i can put a cd/USB in and start the process of the OS installation and tell the computer where it is going to be build in AD so it can install packages and allocate printers ... I know i'd forget if it was installed to the default place that it would need moving.

Thanks Guys
    Stuart

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hi Stuart,

I don't think you can get exactly the same build process as CC3 with Vanilla.
    However you might want to look at something like FOG that allows you to take an image of a prebuilt station and deploy it to other clients.

Thank Post
    Hi sparkeh.

If I have a workstation build the way we want it, with the basic software on it could I take an image of that computer and then once the computer is build just move it in AD so it will pick up the allocated software (Via GP). Would that work. Im just trying to find the best solution. P.S. if I image a computer when its joined the domain will it use the same name of can that be changed at the beginning. Forgive me in new to this kinda install.

Thanks
    Stuart

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Hi Stuart,

I don't think you can get exactly the same build process as CC3 with Vanilla.
    However you might want to look at something like FOG that allows you to take an image of a prebuilt station and deploy it to other clients.
    The closest I have come to a CC3 build is RIS which lets you put in the machine name that you want to build.

We have since gone over to images - but I loved RIS.

GJE

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok first point would be not to image a machine that is joined to a domain. Best to image a machine on a workgroup and then join after domain (FOG can actually rename the macine and join to the domain for you after imaging).

How you do it depends on your setup. Personally I take an image of a Windows machine with the bear minimum on. I then register the target machine in FOG and tell it where it is to go in AD, then deploy the image to the machine. After the deployment, FOG renames the machine and joins it to the domain, then all the correct software is installed.

However, some people put all their software on, then take the image so that after the deployment and joining to AD, the machine is ready to go.

Thank Post

Thumbs up

Hi,
    Cheers for the suggestions. Will look into them and find the best solution for our system.

Thanks Again
    Stuart

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread