+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, Interesting FOG observation in Technical; Hi everyone We've been trying to get FOG to join our batch of test computers to our new domain. It ...

Thank Post

Interesting FOG observation

Hi everyone

We've been trying to get FOG to join our batch of test computers to our new domain. It has kept failing to do so, so we started digging. Eventually we resorted to using the NETDOM tool manually, where the computer refused to join. We were puzzled, as it was exactly the same as on the FOG Wiki.

Looking at the syntax of the command however, I noticed that it uses the : symbol for commands. Our Administrator password contains one of these as a good security measure, but unfortunately, it was causing the NETDOM tool to fail, as it thought that the : in our password was another command.

I'm not sure if one can get around this by enclosing the password in quotes or what, but I thought I would share the info. Hopefully this can help someone in the future avoid some headaches.

Need to read up some more on the NETDOM tool I think..

2. Thanks to CraigM from:

Slewis (4th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
    Hi everyone

We've been trying to get FOG to join our batch of test computers to our new domain. It has kept failing to do so, so we started digging. Eventually we resorted to using the NETDOM tool manually, where the computer refused to join. We were puzzled, as it was exactly the same as on the FOG Wiki.

Looking at the syntax of the command however, I noticed that it uses the : symbol for commands. Our Administrator password contains one of these as a good security measure, but unfortunately, it was causing the NETDOM tool to fail, as it thought that the : in our password was another command.

I'm not sure if one can get around this by enclosing the password in quotes or what, but I thought I would share the info. Hopefully this can help someone in the future avoid some headaches.

Need to read up some more on the NETDOM tool I think..

That : isn't so secure any more

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Friez View Post
    That : isn't so secure any more
    Lol, it is of no matter now, since we changed the password to something as secure, but without the : symbol. I read on the FOG forums that they are developing code to join a domain without needing NETDOM, since Windows 7 doesn't have/work with NETDOM.

Still haven't read up about NETDOM, but I realised that it wouldn't matter, as FOG wouldn't be able to pass the password on with "" symbols around it.

Moral of the story: set up an account for FOG, just enough rights to join machines to domain, password without any funny characters.

Thank Post
    Moral of the story: set up an account for FOG, just enough rights to join machines to domain, password without any funny characters.
    That's what we've done, the password's about 30 characters long as well.

Thank Post
    Lol, it is of no matter now, since we changed the password to something as secure, but without the : symbol.
    Now it's ultra secure because we don't know if it does or if it doesn't contain the character... it could be a bluff or a double bluff... it's not drowssap is it?

Thank Post
    Fog is removing support for netdom.exe on Windows 7 machines. They are beta testing a new solution currently.

check out their forums.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread