+ Post New Thread
O/S Deployment Thread, FOG Client printer loses connection in Technical; Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but my problem relates to the FOG Printer management so I'm ...
    Thank Post

FOG Client printer loses connection

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post, but my problem relates to the FOG Printer management so I'm thinking OS deployment is the closest match.

Anyway, i'm setting up a a small room with only 7 PCs in it as a vanilla test room (alternative to CC3 on the rest of the site) and was planning on using the FOG printer management to handle printer management.

I've got the managment options set to 'Add and remove', so on the first login (as me although i've tried a student account first as well) it removes the Microsoft office document writer and installs the printer ("Library Laser").

Ok, so I log out and log in as another user, don't get any messages from the FOG client (appears to have kept the same printer installed), then one of two things happens

a) do a test print - no problems...

or

b) do a test print, no errors, but nothing comes out of the printer, log out, log back in as me to check out the printer settings, I can see the printer installed but it is greyed out and appears offline. I can see the document sat in the print queue and it appears to have spooled into the local machine rather than the server.

If I refresh the printers from the Fog tray then nothing happens (because the printer of the correct name is installed), if i rename the printer in the Fog database it will reinstall under a new name and start working again. The printer defintion points to a server share \\servername\sharename, i've also tried going straight to the printer (via ip address) and installing drivers locally instead of from a share, the result is the same everytime (make me think the problem is to do with how the printer is installed).

I must admit that printer configuration isn't my strong point, (am I right in thinking that it's added into a users profile, but then why can I can still see the printer when I log in as someone else, why doesn't the Fog client add it again?) which is why i'm slightly confused. Because i'm running this on the side of CC3 I can't use roaming profiles or mandatory profiles, so i'm just letting a local profile build and redirecting all of the folders. I've disabled pretty much all of my GPOs and that doesn't make a difference.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank Post
    Printer going offline was sorted by switching to an alternate driver.

Error messages while setting the printer as default are fixed by not putting space characters in the printer alias.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread